• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Bullet Proof Coffee

Big Mick

"2014 - Kunce of the year"
This was mentioned in another thread and got my interest so I read up about it.

Basically it's coffee, MCT oil and grass fed butter.

I believe that the grass fed part of the butter is probably irrelevant.

How many people have had it or regularly use it??

I have had three, but did not have MCT oil so used coconut oil instead, as I had some at home, coconut oil is an option but tasted like crap. The butter was OK.

The guy that promotes it sells his own MCT oil and coffee beans, again I don't think it's relevant.

Kiefer also has his own version of a similar coffee, where he recommends, black coffee with coconut oil and a small amount of protein powder in one of his books. Ordered some protein powder yesterday from BN, and noted they now sell MCT oil so I ordered a bottle of the stuff.

So I think I will be making my own version of the above:

Coffee, butter, MCT oil and protein powder.:eek: A combination of the Bullet proof coffee and Kiefers coffee.

I found when I had it last week that it really suppressed appetite, to the point where I was feeling full and did not feel like eating anything till about 1 or 2 in the arvo. Even then I was not fussed about food.

I think I will give it a run as part of my Carb Nite eating plan I will be starting in the new year.

I had it for a week. Definitely suppressed appetite. Didn't feel hungry til 11am after eating breaky with the coffee at 6am.
I'm not after that, so have brushed it for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do you feed butter grass?
Haha, just kidding
I kinda like these- my low calorie days are 15g lacking in fats and I can't be bothered to work out fractions of meat on the bone so I kick the day off with one of these

I had it for a week. Definitely suppressed appetite. Didn't feel hungry til 11am after eating breaky with the coffee at 6am.
I'm not after that, so have brushed it

Yeh it's no good if you want to eat more food.

How do you feed butter grass?
Haha, just kidding
I kinda like these- my low calorie days are 15g lacking in fats and I can't be bothered to work out fractions of meat on the bone so I kick the day off with one of these

How do you find it??

How many meals do you have??

I am thinking of having the coffee in the morning, then a protein shake before training, a food dinner and may be another shake before bed.

My aim is to lose some body fat, maintain muscle and strength. It's basically a slightly modified carb nite diet. Will adjust as needed, but really want to cut back in my amount of meals. Hate eating three meals a day, and mostly only have two. Really want to cut back to one meal (dinner) and a few shakes per day with a cheat day whenever I need it, probably based around social eating events and get togethers.

Personally the shakes are cheap, convenient and do the job, the morning coffee/fat mix to keep me going till midday then shake train, dinner, shake sleep, repeat.

I normally drink it first thing at 6:30am
I'll eat my first meal around 11am. Really though I just need the extra calories first thing for my morning training. It's nothing more complicated than 90 fast acting calories

Yep definitely have the coffee first thing and no food obviously, well I don't train in the mornings generally afternoons between 4 and 8 pm depending on when I get home from work, will still be following my current 5/3/1 routine training 4 days per week.

Considering some conditioning stuff as well on off days may be HIIT, or even just a 1 hr walk after dinner, or slow jog, or nothing depending on how I feel.:p

I think there is more to the coffee than just the cals, it's the fats that are important and I believe that's why you don't feel hungry, and they encourage ketosis from what I have read, getting your body into fat burning mode. Not sure if this is just a 1% thing or more significant than that.

Like I said will try it and report back once I start. I see you are adjusting you diet as you go, I suspect I will be adjusting as well. :rolleyes:

Your body will go into ketosis from them but they will not make you keto adapted- which is the whole point of a ketogenic diet. So if you're keto adapted already, it's nothing more than eating sugar for a regular guy (more fast energy). If you're not keto adapted, you'll benefit little from the ketosis it gives you. It will still give good energy though, it's just you won't get all the benefits of being in keto

That makes sense.

Will be doing more reading before I start my new eating plan, not starting in December too may parties and too busy with work and stuff, only doing minimal training in December (see my training log).

Will read 'Carb Nite' again to get it straight in my mind, but it will only be based on carb nite, I will only be on 30 grams of carbs or less, carbs will only be from incidental carbs contained in protein shakes (BN natural WPC, Egg protein, and Cassein blend taken with water), dinner will be meat based, so steak, chicken, beef ribs, chicken wings, drum sticks, pork ribs, home made chilli/spicy mince etc etc. then wil have one cheat meal (Carb Nite) every 7-10 days as per Kiefers book.

Yeah I'm reading it now and I like the general idea of it even if the reasons behind what Kiefer says are largely bullshit. For you though, you're a little fatter so you might want to go 3-4 weeks with no carb up first honestly.

Part of the spin they put on "Bulletproof/Upgraded Coffee" is that it's low in or free of mycotoxins and that makes it great for you and all other coffee is bollocks.

In short, it's a load of shite, their material is riddled with pseudoscientific crap and as such I'd be ignoring anything that particular source (UpgradedSelf/Bulletproof) have to say on the matter.

Stimulants will suppress appetite, sure, but virgin-mouth-picked single origin coffee has little to do with it. Can't say much about the oils/butter but it's worth remembering that if you're looking for an appetite suppressant, regular coffee is likely to have a similar effect.

Last edited:
Part of the spin they put on "Bulletproof/Upgraded Coffee" is that it's low in or free of mycotoxins and that makes it great for you and all other coffee is bollocks.

In short, it's a load of shite, their material is riddled with pseudoscientific crap and as such I'd be ignoring anything that particular source (UpgradedSelf/Bulletproof) have to say on the matter.

Stimulants will suppress appetite, sure, but virgin-mouth-picked single origin coffee has little to do with it. Can't say much about the oils/butter but it's worth remembering that if you're looking for an appetite suppressant, regular coffee is likely to have a similar effect.

Yes agree to some degree, I believe the fats are a key and quite important, I have done the regular coffee thing, then the Kiefer coffee (coffee, coconut oil and protein powder) and now the bullet proof mix (coffee, coconut oil, as I don't have MCT oil yet and coconut oil is an alternative and butter) and each level certainly improves the appetite suppression, and I have only used regular instant coffee, coconut oil and unsalted butter.

I read the whole bullet proof spiel etc and wrote most of it off as BS, I am not buying their overpriced coffee beans and MCT oil etc, as I mentioned in my first post the grass fed butter etc etc is just BS.

I have ordered 1 liter of MCT oil from Bulk Nutrients (one of the only supplement suppliers I trust these days) with my last protein order, should be here next week, and I have picked up a coffee strainer thing from K Mart for $10, and a coffee grinder for $12 (bullet proof improved self was selling these for $100 or similar:rolleyes:) so next shopping trip I will buy some coffee beans from Woolies to brew some real coffee as my instant stuff is nearly run out now anyway, add MCT oil and butter and probably a bit of WPC (5 or 10 gram from memory, have to read the book again, and will post my final recipe up later).

Will see how it goes and adjust. Mainly bough the MCT oil as the coconut oil tastes like crap, and the general consensus is MCT oil works out cheaper as six tea spoons of coconut oil only contain one of MCT oil, and MCT oil is supposed to be flavour less.

Yeah I'm reading it now and I like the general idea of it even if the reasons behind what Kiefer says are largely bullshit. For you though, you're a little fatter so you might want to go 3-4 weeks with no carb up first honestly.

Also tend to agree with this, I have given Carb Nite a short run and it seemed to work well, at the time I was using NB protein Powder as well and I still lost a fair bit of fat, but it ended up with very slow progress, and I eventually gave it away, a few weeks later I discovered that NB was selling me high carb milk powder instead of WPI, so it would have completely stuffed the whole thing as my carb intake would have been well over 30 grams, using the NB protein.

I was very angry about this and I certainly let NB know about it and ended up getting a full refund, which IMO is still not enough considering it completely fucked my cut that I put a lot of effort into.

This time around will be much better, and I think I have learned more about what to eat as well now.

Last edited:
Want to give it a try, can't be bothered sourcing the ingreidients so sticking with the free nescafe at work currently :D

Yeah but I have to walk there and pay money... :p

That sucks

But seriously I tried it three times and it appears to work, tastes like crap due to the coconut though.

BN now has mct oil so will report back once it arrives. We only get mail Tuesday's and Fridays and I ordered last Friday so hoping it will be here Friday along with my protein order.

Just buy unsalted butter and what ever coffee you like, I am sure instant coffee will be just fine, that's all I used so far.

Last edited:
I bastardized this for a long time now, try butter or cream, half a scoop casein, coffee, coconut milk and mct, you have yourself a delishous hot or with todays weather ice cold shake minus the butter if cold, if and only if your not aroud whole food this does keep me going at least till lunch! But fuck mix this with food weather u count cals or not thats a fuck ton of calories just there

I bastardized this for a long time now, try butter or cream, half a scoop casein, coffee, coconut milk and mct, you have yourself a delishous hot or with todays weather ice cold shake minus the butter if cold, if and only if your not aroud whole food this does keep me going at least till lunch! But fuck mix this with food weather u count cals or not thats a fuck ton of calories just there

Yeah there is a few versions, I will definitely ditch the coconut oil for my taste.

My aim is to use it as part of my cutting diet. Looking at one meal (dinner) per day, 30 grams or less carbs, a few shakes lunchtime onwards only (my own blend from Natural WPC, egg Protein and Casein 3:1:1 in water) and one of these in the morning.

My final blend will be:

Brewed coffee (250ml), WPC protein, MCT oil, unsalted butter, in quantities yet to be determined.

Will adjust as needed.

Man try and go for some whole foods dont rely on liquid diets,

1 they dont fill you up

2 you prob wont be getting all the nutrients you need

3 food tastes better

[MENTION=8428]Big Mick[/MENTION]; was so impressed with 0ni's diet that he bought it

Oops, I don't even lift