• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Young Athlete Deaths

So just to be clear you dont think out of 6 billion people that people aged between 30-40 - that not more than 1,2,3 just drop dead a year? And if they do it makes the news?

I don't believe there are 6 billion body builders strength athletes in Australia (just talking locally) and yes no one just drops dead at 30-40. There might be the odd one but when the coroners inquest is completed they will generally find the reason.

You can deny it as long as you want will not change the inevitable end result of a massive heart attack or liver failure 30-40 years earlier than the general population. Even considering how unhealthy the general population is.

I am not saying that maybe the chances of you dieing young arnt increased if using PED's but the same goes for eating to much, drinking to much, smoking to much, not doing exercise, living a stressful lifestyle etc

Most of those people still live long life's, father in law drinks alcohol like a fish for the last 40 years daily, smokes and has never exercised and recently turned 77 and takes no medication. Some are lucky I guess.

I asked recently on another forum what the risks of steroid use were, thought I'd get a no-BS response from those in the know. The replies were all along the lines of 'Risk of having to book two seats on an aeroplane cuz ur so huge', 'risk of getting too much pussy and milfs checking you out' etc.

Lol...

One thing is certain... Steroids don't make you live longer...

But they do bring with them a raft of side effects...

Would be interesting to see stats on Mr O competitors vs length of life...

I don't believe there are 6 billion body builders strength athletes in Australia (just talking locally) and yes no one just drops dead at 30-40. There might be the odd one but when the coroners inquest is completed they will generally find the reason.

You can deny it as long as you want will not change the inevitable end result of a massive heart attack or liver failure 30-40 years earlier than the general population. Even considering how unhealthy the general population is.

Mate I like you and I like the shit you post but I have to totally disagree with you on this matter - I am talking about the general population - not just the Australian bodybuilding community and if thats the case there really hasnt been that many deaths - no more than you would see in the general population of the world out of 30-40 yr olds.

Between 4-10% of heart attacks in America are from men under the age of 45 - every year in America there are around 715,000 heart attacks - just 4% of that is potentially 28,600 people below 45 (just in America may I add) that could die "randomly" - just drop dead....

What would be interesting is if you could go ask the various dead bodybuilders/strong men if it was all worth it to die at 40 odd? Wonder what they would say..

some stats for NSW, 2006-2007, Ages 25-44 to put things in perspective
(you can change age range on that page)

this is just over 1000 male deaths for that year (out of roughly... 850-900,000 males 25-44 in NSW)
poisoning and injury is by far and away biggest killer, followed by cancer, then heart disease... nothing else really gets a look in

Health Statistics New South Wales - Deaths by cause, age and year

attachment.php

Attachments

• 25-44-deaths-NSW.jpg
    25-44-deaths-NSW.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
And if you then took those and devided the number of pro bb's/strgmen/wrestlers by the number of deaths in the sport like i said earlier, would give you a mind blowing number. As a demographic the ratio would be massivly higher than any other group of people

Mate I like you and I like the shit you post but I have to totally disagree with you on this matter - I am talking about the general population - not just the Australian bodybuilding community and if thats the case there really hasnt been that many deaths - no more than you would see in the general population of the world out of 30-40 yr olds.

Between 4-10% of heart attacks in America are from men under the age of 45 - every year in America there are around 715,000 heart attacks - just 4% of that is potentially 28,600 people below 45 (just in America may I add) that could die "randomly" - just drop dead....

Mate there are no 30-40 year olds dropping dead every day for no reason. Trust me if someone 30-40 drops dead for no reason we know about it as it automatically becomes a Cororners Inquest, which means autopsy of the body to determine cause of death. So it's very uncommon in the general population. Yet quit common in body builders and strength athletes.

Anyone around that age that dies either has a terminal illness, misadventure (accidents etc)or is using drugs. The above three account for 98% of deaths under 40.

So don't kidd yourself Steroids WILL bring you to an early grave. No if's, no but's and no may be's. No matter how much users believe that it won't. The reaper will not miss out on an early victim.

EDIT: a separate thread for this discussion would probably be a good idea.

I agree. Dropping dead at 30-40 is very rare these days in general pop but seems fairly common in comparison in high steroid use sports.

And if you then took those and devided the number of pro bb's/strgmen/wrestlers by the number of deaths in the sport like i said earlier, would give you a mind blowing number. As a demographic the ratio would be massivly higher than any other group of people

Of course due to numbers its always going to be higher - example if there are 30 pro bbers and 5 randomly die then of course its going to look worse than if there is 100 avg joes and 6 die - its purely due to numbers - because there isnt that many pro bbers so when one does day it makes a difference but across the board if you could %'s out of all sorts of walks of life it wouldnt make a difference if there were a pro or not.

I agree. Dropping dead at 30-40 is very rare these days in general pop but seems fairly common in comparison in high steroid use sports.

How do you know its rare if you never hear about it? I can tell you right now that prob while we have been having this conversion around the world there has prob been a number of 30-40 year olds die of heart attack, heart diease.

1 every 2 days, ages 25-44... not that uncommon in NSW :p

does it increase the risk because of the extreme physical exertion? or because AAS in an otherwise healthy, non BB, person, would increase risk of heart attack etc?

Key word here....abusing...

Runnning one off 12 week cycle might have little to no negative effects...

Doing contest prep cut and being a pin cushion with a cocktail of drugs ... And then doing it over a number of years.. not good...

There is no substitute for hard work with the iron.
There is no substitute for food.
No matter what the claim may be, there is nothing on earth as effective as steroids.

A tad random, but the point is, it changes things.

@Rugby88; surely you realise that abusing AAS would increase the risk

Of course mate - like I said in another post I am not saying it wont - just as things like over-eating, drinking, smoking, taking rec drugs, not exercising etc...

Simple question - who is healthier -

A. 39 yr old who has never done any consistent exercise, eats takeaway at least 6-7 times a week, smokes a pack a day and will have 6-7 beers everyday every 2nd day + spirits on weekends when he goes down the shed with the boys

B. 39 year old - Does not drink, does not smoke, does not go out on the weekends - Trains 5-6 days a week, weight training + cardio, eats a very healthy diet and may have a cheat meal on the weekends - but uses Test-E on a regular basis and has done so for many years.

Last edited:
How do you know its rare if you never hear about it? I can tell you right now that prob while we have been having this conversion around the world there has prob been a number of 30-40 year olds die of heart attack, heart diease.

Do I have exact figures. No. Do you have the exact figures to say its not an issue?

Personally couldn't even tell you someone I know or who I have heard of that has died at 30-40 for no real reason. Its not like its common.

Then you have well known strength athletes, bodybuilders, wwe guys who there are not that many of dropping dead all the time.

Like I said all along it seems as if it is much higher death rate. I don't know the figures, I am sure some are out there somewhere. Anecdotally it seems very high.

Personally if I had been on the roids I would be a little worried.

Jesus fucking Christ if there could be a discussion about the risks of roids without someone bringing up drinking.

Of course mate - like I said in another post I am not saying it wont - just as things like over-eating, drinking, smoking, taking rec drugs, not exercising etc...

A. 39 yr old who has never done any consistent exercise, eats takeaway at least 6-7 times a week, smokes a pack a day and will have 10+ beers everyday every 2nd day + sprints on weekends when he goes out.

B. 39 year old - Does not drink, does not smoke, does not go out on the weekends - Trains 5-6 days a week, weight training + cardio, eats a very healthy diet and may have a cheat meal on the weekends - but uses Test-E on a regular basis and has done so for many years.
It's no use in comparing Joel, just because one may be worse doesn't' make the other good.
Abuse of anything will increase the risk of injury, sickness or death

A. 39 yr old who has never done any consistent exercise, eats takeaway at least 6-7 times a week, smokes a pack a day and will have 6-7 beers everyday every 2nd day + spirits on weekends when he goes down the shed with the boys

Floored logic there...

Arguement requires a comparison to a heavy drinker plus smoker plus obese to justify that steroids is better then that?