• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Young Athlete Deaths

Personaly it worries me, while i havnt smashed it year over year at mega doses i have taken my fair share! Anyone of us could have a ticking time bomb

Personaly it worries me, while i havnt smashed it year over year at mega doses i have taken my fair share! Anyone of us could have a ticking time bomb

I wouldn't lose sleep over it. More likely shit diet and piss will kill you first.

RIP mate!

How many other 31 year olds would of died this week in the world though? - more than just him I am thinking...

So why go and judge straight away and think - big dude + lifting + eating + roids = death

He could of had anything wrong with him that we dont know about, it could of been totally unrelated or brought of by other sorts of meds/drugs they are using - I find it fairly stupid and narrow minded of people to see a bodybuilder or weight lifter die and think "oh well roids will do that" and to say such things as "bodybuilders are dropping like flys" who??? what there are maybe 1,2,3 a year? how many avg joes die a year? Millions....

Last edited:
RIP mate!

How many other 31 year olds would of died this week in the world though? - more than just him I am thinking...

So why go and judge straight away and think - big dude + lifting + eating + roids = death

He could of had anything wrong with him that we dont know about, it could of been totally unrelated or brought of by other sorts of meds/drugs they are using - I find it fairly stupid and narrow minded of people to see a bodybuilder or weight lifter die and think "oh well roids will do that" and to say such things as "bodybuilders are dropping like flys" who??? what there are maybe 1,2,3 a year? how many avg joes die a year? Millions....

It's more that their seems to be a very high percentage of these blokes dying early.

I am curious why he died, but, like others, suspect certain reasons.

In general though, disregarding Jenkins whose cause of death is yet to be revealed, I think many bb's and others are kind of crazy with the dose they choose to take, but that appears to be the risk they want to take.

This 2009 NY Times piece suggests some of the complexity about the subject.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/10/sports/10steroids.html?_r=0

Last edited:
It's more that their seems to be a very high percentage of these blokes dying early.

Compared to? the general public?

I am curious why he died, but, like others, suspect certain reasons.

In general though, disregarding Jenkins whose cause of death is yet to be revealed, I think many bb's and others are kind of crazy with the dose they choose to take, but that appears to be the risk they want to take.

We have to think of this realistically - how many pro bodybuilders do you hear about dieing? maybe 1-3 a year and yes some of died young - but how many people in the general public die young for "no reason" that we dont hear about? prob 1000's 100's of 1000's - millions a year?

I am not saying that the use of steroids isnt or is the cause I am just saying think of this realistically and as a bigger picture. Also to add to that their are alot more middle ages, older, old bodybuilders alive than the ones we hear about dieing....

no, that is true. Hopefully there will be some good studies that can make comparisons between participants and problems in different sports.

However, the nature of some sports, because they do not have adequate random drug testing, will ensure that some people push the boundaries that much more, thus compounding the prospect of side effects.

I know this first hand, even from top level bb's (aust standard) who dismiss facts or evidence in favour of poor advice from other drug abusers. They are just looking for that extra edge, and logic appears to go out of the window.

As an activity, however, bb (or weight training), is one of the great pursuits one can have for their health and self-esteem. It is just the other parts, critical to success in non-tested sports, that is dangerous for those only too willing to push the boundaries to a more mindless extent.

That is why I get so pissed off with novices telling junior members on this forum what one should take, as suggested by some supposed informational text written by the latest drug advice guru.

Last edited:
no, that is true. Hopefully there will be some good studies that can make comparisons between participants and problems in different sports.

However, the nature of some sports, because they do not have adequate random drug testing, will ensure that some people push the boundaries that much more, thus compounding the prospect of side effects.

I know this first hand, even from top level bb's (aust standard) who dismiss facts or evidence in favour of poor advice from other drug abusers. They are just looking for that extra edge, and logic appears to go out of the window.

As an activity, however, bb (or weight training), is one of the great pursuits one can have for their health and self-esteem. It is just the other parts, often critical to success in non-tested sports, that is dangerous for those only too willing to pus the boundaries.

That is why I get so pissed off with novices telling junior members on this forum what one should take, as suggested by some supposed informational text written by the latest drug advice guru.

Its not just bbing that takes on these characteristics - go to any night club in Aus on a saturday night and see people take more and more drugs - see people on a daily basis smoking more and more. I do understand where your coming from - I totally get it - its just hugely narrow minded from people to see a weight lifter/bodybuilder etc die and straight away say "ah well thats roids for ya".

We see people smoking, drinking, taking rec drugs every week and 100's and/or 1000's of people dieing of these things a week and alot of the time its "oh wow I wonder how they died"

Steroids have a evil cloud over them due to the media etc - but smoking, drinking and rec drugs are worse for you....

I don't disagree with any of that.

I also don't judge people that take PEDs, albeit I have suggested ways that govt/society could make sport even cleaner.

After all, I dabbled with PEDs for a brief period of my life (4-5 years on and off some 25 years ago) for reasons including vanity, performance and even intrigue, but I am glad I got out of the scene. I got a few side effects, and that was enough for me.

I have always been in sport because I love it, rather than being any good, and want to be around for the long haul (touch wood).

I know enough of PEDs, from both textbooks and experience, to know that some doses are just ridiculous and can only compound possible health side effects.

Last edited:
Rugby you jave to look at the % though. As what is a smallish sport, 1-3 eary deaths a year is massive. No other sport will have the same death rate. How many nrl players are dropping dead at 30-40? Think a few eye brows would be raised if there was 1-3 nrl players dieing every year

Rugby you jave to look at the % though. As what is a smallish sport, 1-3 eary deaths a year is massive. No other sport will have the same death rate. How many nrl players are dropping dead at 30-40? Think a few eye brows would be raised if there was 1-3 nrl players dieing every year

Agree.

maybe if they didn't have heart defects, they would have been doing more aerobic sports... like running or footy? jus' sayin'...
(let's see how long Roger lasts? :D )

Last edited:

We arnt talking about sport we are talking in general terms - How many 30-40 year olds drop dead everyday for "no reason" 100's/1000's? we of course never hear about these people - again I am not backing either way - I am just saying I find it highly narrow minded of people to automatically go down the steroids road....its just surprises me that "educated" people on the matter still have such a general public/media view of things like this.....

Mate there are no 30-40 year olds dropping dead every day for no reason. Trust me if someone 30-40 drops dead for no reason we know about it as it automatically becomes a Cororners Inquest, which means autopsy of the body to determine cause of death. So it's very uncommon in the general population. Yet quit common in body builders and strength athletes.

Anyone around that age that dies either has a terminal illness, misadventure (accidents etc)or is using drugs. The above three account for 98% of deaths under 40.

So don't kidd yourself Steroids WILL bring you to an early grave. No if's, no but's and no may be's. No matter how much users believe that it won't. The reaper will not miss out on an early victim.

EDIT: a separate thread for this discussion would probably be a good idea.

Last edited:
We arnt talking about sport we are talking in general terms - How many 30-40 year olds drop dead everyday for "no reason" 100's/1000's? we of course never hear about these people - again I am not backing either way - I am just saying I find it highly narrow minded of people to automatically go down the steroids road....its just surprises me that "educated" people on the matter still have such a general public/media view of things like this.....

I think your missing the point a bit..

Mate there are no 30-40 year olds dropping dead every day for no reason. Trust me if someone 30-40 drops dead for no reason we know about it as it automatically becomes a Cororners Inquest, which means autopsy of the body to determine cause of death. So it's very uncommon in the general population. Yet quit common in body builders and strength athletes.

Anyone around that age that dies either has a terminal illness, misadventure (accidents etc)or is using drugs. The above three account for 98% of deaths under 40.

So don't kidd yourself Steroids WILL bring you to an early grave. No if's, no but's and no may be's. No matter how much users believe that it won't. The reaper will not miss out on an early victim.

EDIT: a separate thread for this discussion would probably be a good idea.

So just to be clear you dont think out of 6 billion people that people aged between 30-40 - that not more than 1,2,3 just drop dead a year? And if they do it makes the news?

I think your missing the point a bit..

I am not sitting here supporting the use of PED's I am simply saying that why do people jump on the steroid bandwangon as soon as a strength athlete dies? How do you know he wasnt snorting a gram of coke a day, or addicted to pain killers or drink a L of scotch a day? How do you know that he doesnt have a genetic heart problem??

I am not saying that maybe the chances of you dieing young arnt increased if using PED's but the same goes for eating to much, drinking to much, smoking to much, not doing exercise, living a stressful lifestyle etc