• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

0ni

Registered Rustler
Lets get a ribcage expansion thread going.
I am very interested in this.
I know [MENTION=3627]Silverback[/MENTION]; will have some good thoughts on this.

I purchased Dr. Kelso's shrug book to get all the information that I need. I decided upon the 20 rep pullovers and chest flies.

Now, he recommends using 10kg for the pullovers and 5kg in each hand for the flies. The flies I get a stretch just nicely but the pullovers, the weight seems too light. What weights did people here typically use?

I really like that old school and 1970's look and it makes sense to train this way

Kelso's shurg book is a top read.

You can do the following exercises to get some shoulder spread and rib cage expansion. They are tough, tough tough and you need to be very patient.

First combo: Heavy, high rep breathing squats and heavy bent-arm pullovers using an E-Z curl bar. Just as it sounds, after every set of 20 rep squats do a set of pullovers.

Second combo: Heavy high rep breathing deadlifts and heavy bent-arm dumbbell flyes. Once again, just as it sounds. After your set of deadlifts you do the dumbbell flyes. Really work at raising your sternum during the stretch.

Lastly, the Rader chest pull while hanging from a pull-up bar. Just raise your rib cage up while you hang from the bar. It will take some practice to get the hang of it.

Lets get a ribcage expansion thread going.
I am very interested in this.
I know [MENTION=3627]Silverback[/MENTION]; will have some good thoughts on this.

I purchased Dr. Kelso's shrug book to get all the information that I need. I decided upon the 20 rep pullovers and chest flies.

Now, he recommends using 10kg for the pullovers and 5kg in each hand for the flies. The flies I get a stretch just nicely but the pullovers, the weight seems too light. What weights did people here typically use?

I really like that old school and 1970's look and it makes sense to train this way

How many rep's can you do with the 5kg DB's?
How many rep's does Kelso recomend?

He recommends 20 reps with the 5kg bells
After 20 reps I feel like falling asleep honestly, I could go heavier though
But it's just to stretch though right?

He recommends 20 reps with the 5kg bells
After 20 reps I feel like falling asleep honestly, I could go heavier though
But it's just to stretch though right?

Go heavy!

Stretch under heavy load, make it hard.

Alright I'll start ramping the weights up and doing those pull-ups
I can't do the 20 rep squat at this stage in my training, or the deadlifts. But maybe after my meet.

I did the 20 rep breathing squats with pullovers with no noticeable expansion of rib cage.

Oni if you are going to do this, give it a good 3 months.
and measure your self across the chest/ribs before and after.

Doing 20 rep breathing squats and so forth won't be a bad thing at all, but in my opinion, as you are not a mid teens noob, you will get no change in rib cage expansion..

Oni if you are going to do this, give it a good 3 months.
and measure your self across the chest/ribs before and after.

Doing 20 rep breathing squats and so forth won't be a bad thing at all, but in my opinion, as you are not a mid teens noob, you will get no change in rib cage expansion..

Outstanding advise

I'd be hanging onto this program for as long as possible, i dont beleive three months adequate, as i stated it needs to be tough and one needs to be patient here.

Peary Rader believed rib expansion is possible, for a younger growing person.