• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Healed collarbone break (help newbie)

JARROD

In late may this year I broke my collarbone in a bike accident. I have been lifting again for about a month or two, I'm extremely skinny about 63-64kg and 5.10 and 20 years old and trying to build as much mass as I can, however I notice with some exercises like military press and overheads I notice a clicking sound/feeling in my left collarbone/shoulder where I broke it. I notice hardly any pain only on occasion and it seems to be pretty strong.

I take magnesium/calcium and D3 tablets and drink a decent amount of milk per day too, and my training consists of something like this:

Monday
• Deadlifts - 4 x 12
• Bench Press - 4 x 12
• Seated Military Press - 4 x 12
• Dips - 4 x Failure

Wednesday
• Front Squats - 4 x 12
• Pull-up’s - 4 x Failure
• Chin-up’s - 4 x Failure

Friday
• Snatch-grip Deadlifts - 4 x 12
• Bench Press - 4 x 12
• Standing Military Press - 4 x 12
• Dips - 4 x Failure

I'm thinking because I haven't been training consistently for some time I may just be weak again, but I'm curious as to if anyone thinks this is really going to be over training or could hurt me?

Sorry if I've asked a stupid question, peace

I broke my collarbone 6 weeks ago this sunday, but have been doing light weights for 2-3 weeks, now up to 60kg bench press 4x5, an will increase 10kg per week for next 4 weeks. had a titanium plate put in, so healing quite fast.

I feel good, besides a bit of scar tissue and loss of flexibility.

If there is no pain, you should be right.

I have a calcium tablet twice a day, but have been doing so for several years.

Besides that, just gradually increase your weights each week, and back off if pain occurs.

Last edited:
I broke my collarbone 6 weeks ago this sunday, but have been doing light weights for 2-3 weeks, now up to 60kg 4x5, an will increase 10kg per week for next 4 weeks. had a titanium plate put in, so healing quite fast.

I feel good, besides a bit of scar tissue and loss of flexibility.

If there is no pain, you should be right.

I have a calcium tablet twice a day, but have been doing so for several years.

Besides that, just gradually increase your weights each week, and back off if pain occurs.
Okay thanks brother, yeah I didn't have surgery at all and have a permanent small bump for the rest of my life ay.

In late may this year I broke my collarbone in a bike accident. I have been lifting again for about a month or two, I'm extremely skinny about 63-64kg and 5.10 and 20 years old and trying to build as much mass as I can, however I notice with some exercises like military press and overheads I notice a clicking sound/feeling in my left collarbone/shoulder where I broke it. I notice hardly any pain only on occasion and it seems to be pretty strong.

I take magnesium/calcium and D3 tablets and drink a decent amount of milk per day too, and my training consists of something like this:

Monday
• Deadlifts - 4 x 12
• Bench Press - 4 x 12
• Seated Military Press - 4 x 12
• Dips - 4 x Failure

Wednesday
• Front Squats - 4 x 12
• Pull-up’s - 4 x Failure
• Chin-up’s - 4 x Failure

Friday
• Snatch-grip Deadlifts - 4 x 12
• Bench Press - 4 x 12
• Standing Military Press - 4 x 12
• Dips - 4 x Failure

I'm thinking because I haven't been training consistently for some time I may just be weak again, but I'm curious as to if anyone thinks this is really going to be over training or could hurt me?

Sorry if I've asked a stupid question, peace

Hi Jarrod

I broke my clavicle, at the same age as you, playing footy (Aussie rules) some years ago. And similarly, the type of break didn't require surgery either. It occurred in the second to last game of the season so I had about 2-3 months before pre-season started to allow it to heal.

I was reasonably cautious getting back into resistance training during pre-season; bench press and dips felt the most uncomfortable but it was more of a subtle but dull pain right at site of the break. Players weren't prescribed any overhead or lower body work back then so I can't comment on the effect the break had on say deadlifts or military press. I didn't experience any clicking however.

My major concern was full contact drills -tackling and bumping etc. After a couple of hits to the shoulder and a few weight sessions, my confidence increased and never experienced a problem since.

You wouldn't be overtraining at three days a week.

As Spartacus said, just gradually increase your weights each week, and back off if pain occurs.

I broke mine also, struggle to flex the trap, but besides that doesn't hinder my training at all.
You should be fine to do what you need to.