• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Which of your muscle groups grows best and worst?

I would say that back width/triceps/shoulders/quads grow much better than back thickness, biceps and calves.

It'd be interesting to have a poll where ppl select the muscle group where they have least success growing.

Assuming there were enough voters, if one muscle group really stood out as a consistent problem for ppl then it'd prob be good to have a follow up thread discussing thoughts on training techniques to rectify the problem and stimulate growth.

I cbf arranging any of that though. Laugh out loud for what it's worth.

Arms, shoulders and quads seem to respond really well for me.. Worst would be back and chest.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

My arms grow really easily, in that I pretty much never do any direct arm work and yet I feel that my shoulders, chest and upper back should be bigger, relative to my arms.

I'm not sure if my calves aren't very good at growing, or if it's just a history of having been lazy with my calves (which I've been rectifying this year, and now I'm pretty sure my calves are bigger than they were a year ago).

Best: Shoulders & traps , chest & quads are good too...

Worst: would be calves & forearms.. Also lats struggle :(

Good idea [MENTION=3477]DKD[/MENTION];

Last edited:
Was doing them along with straight arm pulldowns last training program. Doing FST7 currently but will add them again next training program as they did seem to help. Noticed the gap between rows & pulldowns even up within weeks...

When we say "wide" pull-ups.

How wide?
Over-hand on the bar?
And how does this movement make you (lat's) wider?

I reckon, if anything, it's a shoulder wrecker.

How wide?
Over-hand on the bar?

I knew this would draw your attention :p

Just outside shoulder width, i.e. replicating the same grip I use for bench.

/edit - Oh and with a lean back, not quite gironda style. Perhaps this helps the shoulders somewhat, as it feels better than when you are trying to stay completely upright.

I start from a dead stop and do them in a controlled fashion, feeling the muscles in the back. If it doesn't make me wider, then it must have been stopping lat pulldowns because nothing else in my program changed :O

Last edited:
I knew this would draw your attention :p

Just outside shoulder width, i.e. replicating the same grip I use for bench.

/edit - Oh and with a lean back, not quite gironda style. Perhaps this helps the shoulders somewhat, as it feels better than when you are trying to stay completely upright.

I start from a dead stop and do them in a controlled fashion, feeling the muscles in the back. If it doesn't make me wider, then it must have been stopping lat pulldowns because nothing else in my program changed :O

Perfect

How wide?
Over-hand on the bar?

Completely agree, anything wider than shoulder width and my shoulders feel like coming apart.
Personally, I do narrow width neutral grip, I'm pulling up nearly 115kgs and I'm fairly sure thats enough for my back :)

Unfortunately for me my glutes respond too well I just look at a squat bar & I have to go up a pant size haha I hate it, I never do calves or biceps they grow easy too I struggle badly with my chest although I've managed to add 4" in 6 months but it's been a hardcore routine most are in disbelief I'm not overtrained

Unfortunately for me my glutes respond too well I just look at a squat bar & I have to go up a pant size haha I hate it, I never do calves or biceps they grow easy too I struggle badly with my chest although I've managed to add 4" in 6 months but it's been a hardcore routine most are in disbelief I'm not overtrained

Good work

I didn't know you can go too wide on pull ups, I was doing just wider than shoulder width but last week I thought I'll go wider, might bring it back in.