• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Budget Diet suggestions?

Turtle

Hey guys,
So this is my first time posting on Ausbb so cheers in advance for welcoming me!

So as the title suggests, I am looking for a budget eating plan, as a Uni student wage does not allow for more indulgent cuisine.

Some details:

(1) 173cm
(2) 66.2kgs
(3) 21
(4) Aiming for approx 70 KG's (or what is required for lean muscle)
(5) Workout 4 -5 times weekly.
(6) I eat small to medium serving sizes in meals.

My target calorie intake I have calculated to be at 2800, which also includes a 250 calorie surplus.

I currently have been working out for about 4 months now and have seen considerable progress. I am naturally lean, not necessarily excessively skinny, however, there is definite room for some weight gain. I think I have a decent training program, however, I think my diet is what is holding me back.

I eat inconsistently, with some days eating 2 large meals, others having snacks and a meal etc. I am not a huge fan of steaks and eggs, but favour chicken and pasta meals etc (and I do have protein powder). I'm finding it hard to even come close to meeting my recommended calorie intake.

So as the title suggests, what would be a solid (and detailed) diet be that is still relatively cheap but will do the job?

Cheers in advance

Welcome. :)

We're almost identical. I'm 175cm, 68kg 21 and at uni as well, lol.

I eat inconsistently, with some days eating 2 large meals, others having snacks and a meal etc. I am not a huge fan of steaks and eggs, but favour chicken and pasta meals etc (and I do have protein powder). I'm finding it hard to even come close to meeting my recommended calorie intake.

With your intake, are you finding it hard to meet the overall calories or a certain macronutrient?

So as the title suggests, what would be a solid (and detailed) diet be that is still relatively cheap but will do the job?

Cheers in advance

any diet plan that has you eating the same thing every day will eventually get boring and you will fail IMHO

find foods that you like and change them around as you need,wether you eat
2 or 5 meals is largely irrelevant,use a calorie counter program such as My Fitness Pal and monitor your daily intake.

Milk,oats,eggs,peanut butter are all good food sources while being cheap.

eg.I make a protein shake with 500ml of milk,couple scoops protein powder and a tablespoon of PB which gives me approx 900 cals just for one meal

hth's

Morning - "Big Shake"

- 2 scoops of wpi/wpc/weight gainger - whatever really
- 400ml full fat milk
- tablespoon of almond oil (you will not taste it)
- choc sauce
- 2 banana's
- big spoonful of peanut butter

(these shakes can be betwen 1000-2000 cals and take only mins to make)

Meal 2 - Big bowl

Chicken
pasta
veggies
pasta sauce

Meal 3 (dinner prob)

Same as meal 2

Meal 4 -

"Big shake again"

- Snack on nuts and fruit throughout the day

You will be able to cheat aswell so dont be worried about having pizza/ice cream etc throughout the week/weekends

Meat is the cheapest and best source of calories
You can get ground beef that is very fatty for $5 a kilo
Wings are $2-5 per kilo
Eggs are very cheap, $7 get you 30 eggs and 1,800kcal
Rice & pasta are very cheap
Ice cream is hilariously cheap for the calories
Pizzas you can get a 2 pack of meatlovers from woolies for $6 netting you 180g of protein

Not really a fan of milk, the pasteurization denatures the enzymes that help you absorb the calcium and the homogenisation stops it clotting in the stomach. The human body absorbs about 40g of protein per hour (which increases with increased protein intake) and liquid passes through very fast. Taking protease helps significantly with this

eat whatever you want to get everything you need
aside from onions, I have no taste for vegetables

I like the non-vegetable vegetables
fruit is nice, tomatoes included. Sweet potatoes are pretty dank. Eggplant also. In fact- all of the nightshade family are the tits. I don't really eat them a lot though. If I want to carb up then I normally go for sweet potatoes but I keto diet usually.

If I am hungry then I will eat spinach raw as it kills my hunger pretty well due to the taste

I like the non-vegetable vegetables
fruit is nice, tomatoes included. Sweet potatoes are pretty dank. Eggplant also. In fact- all of the nightshade family are the tits. I don't really eat them a lot though. If I want to carb up then I normally go for sweet potatoes but I keto diet usually.

If I am hungry then I will eat spinach raw as it kills my hunger pretty well due to the taste

plenty of raw spinach here at the moment

Hey guys,

Cheers for all your responses. The protein shake w/ peanut butter is great, heaps of calories and in relatively small meal. Does anyone else have any quick and easy (and cheap) ways to increase your calorie intake, that is still moderately healthy for you?

Hey guys,

Cheers for all your responses. The protein shake w/ peanut butter is great, heaps of calories and in relatively small meal. Does anyone else have any quick and easy (and cheap) ways to increase your calorie intake, that is still moderately healthy for you?

Find some cheap steak
I get mine from a pet food supplier. It's still human grade food but just the non retail cuts. My steaks are $5 a kilo
Then just slice them very thin and make jerky from them. Grind the jerky. Then melt some lard and mix it 50/50 with the ground jerky and solidify it.
It doesn't need to be refrigerated, you can take it anywhere and keep for years. The perfect snack really. Great post training as I drive home before I can eat

Fuck you crack me up Oni. Pet food now. Lol.

Jerky keeps because it's very dry and very low fat. The fat goes rancid. Adding lard would fuck that up wouldn't it.

I'll just stick with standard jerky I think.

Fuck you crack me up Oni. Pet food now. Lol.

Jerky keeps because it's very dry and very low fat. The fat goes rancid. Adding lard would fuck that up wouldn't it.

I'll just stick with standard jerky I think.

Check out the bulk meat suppliers. This is how I came across it. I was going to buy a side of goat and customers came up. They not only get butchers but pet food suppliers. It's all the same stuff they just sell it much cheaper as pet food. So I asked for one of the customers that was in my area. I get turkey mince for $2/kg now. Beef mince is $5/kg and steaks are pretty cheap too. It's all real food, just the non-retail cuts. You get all kinds of nice cuts you don't get in the shop like skirt it's pretty sweet.

The product I am saying to make is called pemmican and it's pretty fucking awesome
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pemmican