• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Training Gloves, Wraps and Straps

Previously used gloves, got told stop being a pussy. Got over it.
Previously used straps for dead, got told stop being a pussy. Mixed grip & chalk instead.
I am awesome at opening jars now

I never use gloves.. Don't feel like I am able to grip the bar as strongly when I have tried them. I use straps when doing shrugs and wrist wraps occasionally for pressing because my right wrist gets sore from time to time.. The wraps and straps I got are just eBay cheapies and seem to do the job fine.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Use gloves, gotta keep them hands pretty, never know when i might become a surgeon general or a concert pianist. Cant be having grunter hands in one of them gigs.

started out training with gloves, straps, wrist wraps and a belt thinking I was hardcore.
Now I only use chalk, have some seriously rugged hands.

No longer use any of them. Grip was awful so I removed the gloves and have seen good improvements since I did. The missus hates my messed up hands but she'll deal with it

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Never used gloves and only use straps for heavy shrugs, step ups and bent over rows, used to use straps for dead lifts but prefer to work on grip strength.

I use wrist straps for any overhead movements,
I use to wear gloves for everything(noob) then started training with a powerlifter and he introduced me to chalk, i added 20kg to my deadlift just because I could grip the bar

Use wraps for any pressing movement and straps for pretty much every back movement - lets you hit the targeted muscle alot better, and lets you overload the muscle more with more weight - no reason not to use any of the above unless your training for powerlifting etc where grip strength is a must.

Use wraps for any pressing movement and straps for pretty much every back movement - lets you hit the targeted muscle alot better, and lets you overload the muscle more with more weight - no reason not to use any of the above unless your training for powerlifting etc where grip strength is a must.

But grip is very important in sports, rugby included! If you cant get a good hit, or someone gets past, you may have a chance to grab shorts or a jersey, hang on & bring them down. Or come across with the other arm around the face lol

But grip is very important in sports, rugby included! If you cant get a good hit, or someone gets past, you may have a chance to grab shorts or a jersey, hang on & bring them down. Or come across with the other arm around the face lol

Agree. Grip is very important for sport.

A strong grip is fundamental to life, especially sports.

Used to use gloves, straps and belt all the time years ago.

Gave them away and never looked back.

My grip was unable to hold a 180kg dead lift which is pathetic.

Stopped using all grip aids and now easily hold 195kg, and probably more, but not testing again for some time.

Used a belt for any dead lifts over 170kg, no belt for squats, but use knee wraps for any heavy squats around 90%.

haha you read my mind mate - after I wrote that I was going to reply back but was going out - I should of stated from a bodybuilding point of view does not matter to much if you use the above.

Powerlifting, sport etc - I wouldnt advise people using straps all the time - powerlifting I would never use them - sometimes from a sports point of view if your simply trying to lift more weight its ok - currently i'll use straps for alot of my back movements but when I go back into a more sports focused/strength focused program i'll prob drop them all together.

Don't use anything atm.. even stopped using the belt for squats and deads.

I do intend on purchasing some wrist wraps though for when I start hitting some heavy bench.

I ditched the straps and changed to mixed grip for deadlifts, has worked a treat.

Use straps for heavy sumo block pulls, it's 30kg heavier than my heaviest pull and from an akward position, never had an issue with grip though.