• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

DKD

Private Dancer
Not really interested in theoretical discussion or what Ronnie/Jay do, I'd like to read people's personal experiences.

Which exercise best helped you to develop a particular muscle?

For example, "couldn't see any gains on chest/back/triceps until I started doing X".

21s saw a solid increase in bicep size for me.

Weighted pull ups gave me good back width quickly.

I develop good size in the triceps easily, but weighted dips saw them really explode.

Chest - dips.
Back - pullups.

Other muscle groups, it's harder to say because I did a lot of exercises from day dot, whereas with dips and pullups, these were only introduced several years into training so I could see an observable effect on the shape of my chest and the width of my back.

Not really interested in theoretical discussion or what Ronnie/Jay do, I'd like to read people's personal experiences.

Which exercise best helped you to develop a particular muscle?

For example, "couldn't see any gains on chest/back/triceps until I started doing X".

Going way back, needed to really think about this.
As I was ever really only concerned about building the body as a (unit) whole, it wasn't until I started serious squatting that I noticed a change, all my other exercises shot-up.

It sort of became an obsession or experiment, went from 75kg to 84kg, in a short space of time, looking back it seemed like overnight.

I also wanted to widen the shoulders, thinking that if I did chin-ups my lats would magically appear, I also incorporated machine pullovers, this did not happen, but I did add quite a lot of thickness to it.
People comment on the barrel chest.

Deep olympic style squats for quads.

Strict overhead presses for delts.

Wide grip chinups for lats (width mainly).

Going to have to say deadlifts
My back, waist and shoulders are hilariously awesome from deadlifts

I am trialling pullovers and pec flies for chest expansion. I am hoping to get good results from this

The two main areas of my body that have had the most noticable growth (from my perspective) this year have been my lats and calves, although I haven't done anything magical with them: I just started doing a lot of calf raises and stuck to it; and as far as lats go, I increased my volume on deadlifts and worked on my technique on deadlifts, pull ups and rows. So it's just been me doing what I should have been doing anyway.

A couple of years ago, before I re-started serious weight training, I stuck a bar for chin-ups in my house. It's a bit of 50mm square steel tube, and I've put it across a hallway that I often pass through, about 220cm up, so that I can grab it if I reach up a bit.

I'd pull myself up whenever I walked past and remembered it.

Not very long after, and without having put much thought into it, I noticed one day that my lats were obviously much improved (in contrast to the rest of my neglected, middle-aged body).

This motivated me to get back into it ...

Which exercise has given you most muscle growth?
It wasn't the exercise that gave me the most muscle DKD, but rather the drastic change of repetitions applied to that one and same exercise. After years of lifting within a very narrow range of low repetitions, mainly 2 to 3 reps, I did add some muscles when switching to bodybuilding and increasing the reps to between 8 to 10. However the drastic change occurred when I started to include sets of 20 to 30 reps (whilst still not abandoning the typical 8 to 12 bodybuilding repetitions).

So for me, it was never one particular exercise, but rather the way I performed it.

Fadi.

Which exercise has given you most muscle growth?
It's not so much the exercise as it was the manner in which that exercise/s was done. For me it was high rep squats and leg press, also high rep T-bar and seated rowing that resulted in the best muscle stimulation ever. By high rep I'm referring to a weight that is about 65% of my 1RM lifted for between 20-25 reps.

Last edited: