• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Do you train to failure on every set, or just the last set of an exercise?

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
Do you train to failure on every set, or just the last set of an exercise?

Every set, except warmup sets.
Set 1&2 more reps less wight, set 3 bout 5-6 reps, set 4 a double, attempt a triple with spot, push till I completely fail on set 4.

For main lifts I save it to the last set or sets...Try to do as much work at the heaviest weight before going to fatigue...

For arms and stuff I take to fatigue for 3 sets..

Last edited:
I try not to fail at all, although today, for example, I failed on the last set of bench and overhead press; a couple days ago I failed on first rep of bench press because the bar came down and then my shoulders were like "lol, fuk of, eye'm not doing dat."

You know he (Carter) attributed his greatest gains in size to DC training, aka training to absolute failure.

He is also older and wiser now.

Been making great gains with sub max training. I see no need to change to appease the whims of internet warriors.

Never ever 'train to fail', always leave at least one in the tank. I think in many years of training I only failed 3 or 4 times, once was at PTC attempting a new PB for bench after a bench training seminar still traumatized by that, and involved some peer pressure to try for more.

Training to fail is bad for your state of mind I believe, as it does exactly that trains you to fail. Who wants to practice failing?? You should practice succeeding when you train, not failing. Failing repeatedly in training gets your mind and body accustomed to not succeed and accept it as normal to fail. For me missing a lift is not an option.

Last edited:
The only two exercises I don't go to MM fatigue on are squats and dead's
And I only go to complete MM fatigue on the work set but the degree of intensity of work does change depending how I feel on the day.

Never ever 'train to fail', always leave at least one in the tank. I think in many years of training I only failed 3 or 4 times, once was at PTC attempting a new PB for bench after a bench training seminar still traumatized by that, and involved some peer pressure to try for more.

Training to fail is bad for your state of mind I believe, as it does exactly that trains you to fail. Who wants to practice failing?? You should practice succeeding when you train, not failing. Failing repeatedly in training gets your mind and body accustomed to not succeed and accept it as normal to fail. For me missing a lift is not an option.

Did you misunderstand the question Mick?

Don't think so, seemed pretty straight forward to me.

Seems really simple, if you practice something you get conditioned to do it and accept it as normal. Training to failure sets you up for failure as you get used to attempting and not completing a lift.

Don't think so, seemed pretty straight forward to me.

Seems really simple, if you practice something you get conditioned to do it and accept it as normal. Training to failure sets you up for failure as you get used to attempting and not completing a lift.

Would you feel better if we called it momentary muscular fatigue?

If you force a body to perform an action that it can already perform, it has no need to adapt.

Make it feel inadequate and it will adapt to prove you wrong.