• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Semi-Amateur looking for advise

Topsy76

Hello everyone,

im 27. 6'1 tall and about 78kg.

I lost about 20kg by starting to play football (afl)

Now im back to my old self with a bit of muscle yes im tall and skinny.

-------------------

For the first time in my life i've joined a gym and im looking to get ripped. (no i do not want to pack on muscle) i want to be fit and look it.

I am after some advice on my diet and routine and any fine tuning i can do before i start really getting into it.

My routine is the following. I plan on hitting the gym every day and doing these excersies followed by a 15min HIIT on the bike (not on football training days, will goto gym after those days) with 1 full day of rest for the week. yes i know i dont have a "leg day" but trust me i dont need it football i get plenty of workout in my legs squats etc etc.

Chest day: 25 pushups, bench press, incline chest press, machine flys
back day: Pull ups, seated row, lat pulldown, tbar row
shoulders day: military shoulder press, arnold press, lat dumbbell raises, front dumbbell raies
arms day: curl machine, e-z cable curls, hammer curls, tricep pushdown

i do sets of 3 x 8-10 with the max weight possible fatiguing on the last rep 1 min rest between sets. (do 3 x 25 pushups)

My diet is the following:

Breakfast quick protein shake (if i have time some eggs)
mid morning: pita bread wrap with tuna
afternoon: Chicken/tuna with eggs in rice
pre workout: BCAA shake with bannana
Post workout: protein shake
Dinner: Meat/fish/chicken + veg

naturally thats what i normally eat but i throw in more veg/salad when i can.

basically what im asking is... to lose the belly fat i have left over (i want to see my abs) and to get some upper body muscle showing is this going to work for me? I am what you call a hard gainer.

Last edited:
For some reason I just felt this was approriate -

the-funny-people-of-walmart.jpg

Topsy, 6'1 at 78kg ain't gonna look ripped, gonna look anorexic.
You need some muscle mass with BF stripped off to look ripped.

if you are quote "Ripped" at 78kg you will look like a drug addict. Not training legs because you play afl is ridiculous.... but I'm not going to hold a gun to your head. Isn't Pre Season about losing weight and getting in shape?

Use the off season to grow like a weed and add as much muscle as possible IMO, there are count less benefits.

Anyway good luck with your goals mate.

Last edited:
Thanks guys!........ i think :\

You want to gain muscle and get ripped at the same time is a bit counter productive and depending who you ask impossible, you can however make gains in LBM with minimal fat gain. You kind of need to pick one or the other, Get RIPPED or Build Muscle.

I like my frame and im quite happy with who i am, is it a crime i want to look how i train? just after some advise... not looking to "pack on muscle" im looking to keep fit and look it.

I dont want to loose weight.... i want to get trim and put on some muscle. Sorry i shouldnt have said i want to be ripped.. lean and mean i just want to look in shape.... im not interested in putting on 30kg of muscle. Want to drop my body fat % and put on a little muscle.

Be sure to track your training and be sure to progress either by adding weight or reps each week. You will be on your way to be lean and mean :)

Be sure to drink plenty of water 3L + a day

As someone who is:
- around the 6" mark-
- was 78kg not that long ago
- plays soccer (or AFL in your case) on a 2-3 weekly basis;
- and used to say there's no need to train legs because I get enough stimulation from soccer (or AFL),

don't be fooled! You will never get as much growth in your legs, as when you actually hit them 1-2 times a week, every week.

However, if you can't be convinced, what you're doing doesn't sound too bad. I would get a big bigger first before getting ripped, but hey!

I like my frame and im quite happy with who i am, is it a crime i want to look how i train? just after some advise... not looking to "pack on muscle" im looking to keep fit and look it.

I dont want to loose weight.... i want to get trim and put on some muscle. Sorry i shouldnt have said i want to be ripped.. lean and mean i just want to look in shape.... im not interested in putting on 30kg of muscle. Want to drop my body fat % and put on a little muscle.

You say it like you might accidentally put on 30kg of muscle. lol. Don't stress it will never happen.

If you play afl your legs should be your number 1 priority in training at the moment. Where do you think your speed and power comes from.

If you want to add little muscle and be ripped well train like you want to add 30kg of muscle and if you are lucky you will add a couple kgs of muscle and lose some fat.

You say it like you might accidentally put on 30kg of muscle. lol. Don't stress it will never happen.

If you play afl your legs should be your number 1 priority in training at the moment. Where do you think your speed and power comes from.

If you want to add little muscle and be ripped well train like you want to add 30kg of muscle and if you are lucky you will add a couple kgs of muscle and lose some fat.

I like this comment Bazza.

Topsy, I think you will find it very hard to put on some LBM with that diet (i.e. not enough total calories) especially considering the demands of pre-season and energy expenditure from your gym workouts.

Reduction in body fat% - yes, but you'll probably drop a couple of kg's over pre-season which from what you say, you don't want.

At 6'1 and 78kg playing AFL, I'd hope you would have good running ability.

Hey thankyou to everyone for your input it is really appreciated.

Thankyou Judgey, yeah i have been thinking it over and i can fit a day in where i can just go and do legs/lower back so i will add that in also. Mainly as i notice a big difference when i used to as it helped prevent injury.

At first i was a bit worried as my routine only had 4 excersies so it would take 20 minutes at most in the gym (surely thats not much time to be working out muscle??), but im learning to go hard and slow with proper form and boy oh boy my body is feeling it! Really start to feel it once i finish off with some HIIT.

Bazza20 & Wtiness, thankyou!!

I am definatly trying to eat as much as possible. As well as having a full rest day, this is also why i train one muscle group a day or try to.

And witness, you know that guy that just skulks around half back/super fast getting to every contest punching or the goto tagger as hes super fit? yeah thats me. (although when i do get hit it bloody hurts!!)

Thanks guys :).

Stick with it, you'll love what a bit of power and mass will do for confidence and performance on the field.

Hey thankyou to everyone for your input it is really appreciated.

Thankyou Judgey, yeah i have been thinking it over and i can fit a day in where i can just go and do legs/lower back so i will add that in also. Mainly as i notice a big difference when i used to as it helped prevent injury.

At first i was a bit worried as my routine only had 4 excersies so it would take 20 minutes at most in the gym (surely thats not much time to be working out muscle??), but im learning to go hard and slow with proper form and boy oh boy my body is feeling it! Really start to feel it once i finish off with some HIIT.

Bazza20 & Wtiness, thankyou!!

I am definatly trying to eat as much as possible. As well as having a full rest day, this is also why i train one muscle group a day or try to.

And witness, you know that guy that just skulks around half back/super fast getting to every contest punching or the goto tagger as hes super fit? yeah thats me. (although when i do get hit it bloody hurts!!)

Thanks guys :).

@Topsy76 - I wouldn't worry about how long the workout takes. If you're working hard and progressing in some way (e.g. doing the work quicker, doing more work or lifting more), then you're all good.