• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

adurst

Half Rack Vs Full Power Rack
Hey people,

Starting to put together a home gym.

Have a single car garage and some space outback to use.

Thinking about a half-rack rather then a full cage power rack...as a single set of uprights might feel less imposing and take up less space (little close to wall)

Was considering rogue s-2 or 3

I know the footprint could/would be similar, but I think I'd sink it in either Eva or rubber flooring.

Thoughts? Pros? Cons?

Half rack takes up a lot less space including important 'air space'.. But personally I feel more confident in a full rack

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

If I had my time again I'd just get squat stands, I rarely put the pins in my rack anyway, never had a squat I couldn't bail out of.

I have a long single car garage with my training gear at the end in an approximately 2.5m deep x 3m wide space. I use a full power rack and to be honest it's far from ideal, and mine is only 1.2m deep.

Ideally I'd prefer a half rack. You get used to training outside of the cage and quickly adjust. I compete in IPF where you have to walk out squats from a squat rack anyway, so it's better to get used to squatting freely.

A big factor to consider is plate storage. I had a storage tree that I had to sell because it just wouldn't work in that space. I now keep all my plates on the floor, which is a pain.

The rogue racks allow storage pins, but they use the same single upright so it's not really practical if you are benching.

Some of the IE assault rack style racks have toaster rack attachments as an option, eg the Force USA one http://www.australianfitnesssupplie...rce-usa-crossfit-half-rack-w-attachments.html

Others, which I think is the better design, have another upright purely for storage, eg
G2 Garage Gym Power Rack (Half Rack) | Aussie Strength Equipment
HD2 Half Rack with Chinup Bar and Spotter Bars | HD2 | Cyberfit Gym Equipment

This is much stronger and inspire a lot more confidence.

I have a long single car garage with my training gear at the end in an approximately 2.5m deep x 3m wide space. I use a full power rack and to be honest it's far from ideal, and mine is only 1.2m deep.

Ideally I'd prefer a half rack. You get used to training outside of the cage and quickly adjust. I compete in IPF where you have to walk out squats from a squat rack anyway, so it's better to get used to squatting freely.

A big factor to consider is plate storage. I had a storage tree that I had to sell because it just wouldn't work in that space. I now keep all my plates on the floor, which is a pain.

The rogue racks allow storage pins, but they use the same single upright so it's not really practical if you are benching.

Some of the IE assault rack style racks have toaster rack attachments as an option, eg the Force USA one Force USA Cross Training Half Rack w/ Attachments

Others, which I think is the better design, have another upright purely for storage, eg
G2 Garage Gym Power Rack (Half Rack) | Aussie Strength Equipment
HD2 Half Rack with Chinup Bar and Spotter Bars | HD2 | Cyberfit Gym Equipment

This is much stronger and inspire a lot more confidence.

Mate, make a toaster rack for your plates, my setup is similar with fuck all room and the toaster rack is perfect, sits against the wall 450mm deep

Considering
1) Rogue S2/S3 - smallest footprint 122cmx122cm - worried my feet will hit wall during pull-ups
2) NC Fitness Half Rack - 175cm deep
3) cyberfit HD2 - 140cm deep - has plate storage on separate uprights.

Other options?

What do you think about the EVA flooring? To soft?

I'd ideally like room to:
1) olympic lift (which I think if I took the spotting arms off I'd feel roomy enough.
2) pull ups (including kipping muscle-ups) without hitting the wall -triangular crossbar on rogue might help?

Was considering a lifting platform or flooring equivalent to base thickness...so footprint is less imposing and flush.

I have the Iron Edge Assault Rack (half rack), I had it for over two years and it suffers abuse daily. I love it and have never once felt worried it would fail me.

It`s not cheap but I`m convinced its bomb proof!

You won't be able to kip on the cyberfit/NC fitness style rack as they use angular handles. Rogue is made for that, but it's super tall.

Check out the Force USA crossfit half-rack I linked above. The uprights are spaced away from the wall. The chinup bar is height adjustable. You can get toaster racks to match.

I have the really hard rubber gym flooring tiles and it's fine. EVA jigsaw flooring would be too soft IMO.

You won't be able to kip on the cyberfit/NC fitness style rack as they use angular handles. Rogue is made for that, but it's super tall.

Check out the Force USA crossfit half-rack I linked above. The uprights are spaced away from the wall. The chinup bar is height adjustable. You can get toaster racks to match.

I have the really hard rubber gym flooring tiles and it's fine. EVA jigsaw flooring would be too soft IMO.

I like the force USA crossfit rack...but it is bigger and chunkier then the others. The uprights are ~120cm from back of base. That's as big as the entire base of the rogue. Like it...wish I had a few extra square meters.

The entire point to to keep/max open space for oly lifts. Otherwise I'd get a smaller cage/full rack.

I have an S-3, you can't kip on an S-3/2 without having the weight plate storage on either side, you'll pull it over

I have an S-3, you can't kip on an S-3/2 without having the weight plate storage on either side, you'll pull it over

Do you find that a real nuisance? Such as for bench press set-up?

Can you use (kip) with the unit against the wall? Or does it need to be pulled out for proper clearance?

I don't find it a big deal, I'm working out so what's moving some weight around so you bench press?? If I bench it's not usually the first thing I do so if I'm doing deads, squats, snatch, clean and jerk etc I just leave the plates on the floor until I'm finished with the bench.

In my old place I had a single garage, so I had the rack down the back in the middle so I could still fit the car in. The feet were just off the wall and that was enough room to kip (depends on how wild your kip is). I have the dirty south attachment which gives you a bit more room again, I recommend getting that as well if the budget allows.

I have the Rogue s2 with vertical base storage at the rear; it's more stable than my old Powertec rack even with the lat tower attachment.

The vertical storage doesn't interfere with my flat bench (MM Commercial bench).

It adds about 300mm of extra clearance from the wall.

553668_10152069545875910_1389518988_n.jpg

Last edited:
Any particular reason you didn't go with Rogue or NC fitness?

How far from the back of base is the front edge of the upright? And how thick/tall is the base tubing?

The reason for not going rogue was the price and the features that you get for the price.

The rack I have seems to be exactly the same as the NC fitness rack. A few aussie suppliers seem to be selling the same stock, just with a difference badge stuck on it. I didn't know this at the time and paid a bit more than some other companies were offering it.

The reason for not going rogue was the price and the features that you get for the price.

The rack I have seems to be exactly the same as the NC fitness rack. A few aussie suppliers seem to be selling the same stock, just with a difference badge stuck on it. I didn't know this at the time and paid a bit more than some other companies were offering it.

Any chance you could take some measurements for me?

Mostly interested in how far from the wall the front edge of upright would be...and how thick flooring would need to be to make it flush.

Just trying to get an idea of "free" space in the room for cleans and snatches... Before I hit the wall, rack or other gear.

Thanks heaps in advance.