• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Leg Extension suggestions.....

Yeah I played around with the different pins using the same weight. The only difference I noticed was that the loading pin furthest from the lever provided the greater resistance, which as you say is to be expected re simple levers.

I lifted the huge amount of 10kg per leg for 4 x 20 and it destroyed my quads. I`m not soft by any means but doing it slowly and correctly with less weight provided much more muscular pain than from flicking a heavy weight up and down.

Seatbelt was applied for the last couple of sets and added an extra mental cue to keep the tension constant and remain in the seat.

I`m really impressed with the smoothness of the machine in general. I have seen a few Hammer Clones on the gymdirect website which have caught my eye.

Any other hammer machines that you have used that you enjoyed?

That's a good idea, the seat belt keeps your bum back in and on the seat.

The leg press, uni-lateral or solid plate is the best available, again, the bio-mechanics are really good.

The pullover, although you don't get a good stretch out of compared to the nautilus the strength curve is much different, much harder at contraction or the last 300mm of the movement.

The High pull
If you see one, get it (graysfitness) have one at the moment.
This movement is the single most effective back building exercise, Gary Jones got this one right.

The dead lift or lunge/shrug machine
A great piece is used correctly, directly transferable to the BB version.

The High pull
If you see one, get it (graysfitness) have one at the moment.
This movement is the single most effective back building exercise, Gary Jones got this one right.

I`ve been looking at that piece, it looks awesome. If it drops in price a bit more I will be considering it. I doubt though that I will ever get a deal as good as I did with the ext! :)

I'm assuming you mean the lever leg press not the 45 degree? Although I must say I do really like the hammer strength 45.degree leg press.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I'm assuming you mean the lever leg press not the 45 degree? Although I must say I do really like the hammer strength 45.degree leg press.

I like the leverage type leg presses, because you can go a lot deeper safely.

I like the leverage type leg presses, because you can go a lot deeper safely.

Same here. I have tried both and find the lever style squat press hits the quads very nicely. I also find I need less weight with the lever than with the 45 degree style. There are pics of it in the Show Your Home Gym thread for the info of @nightfalltech.

Same here. I have tried both and find the lever style squat press hits the quads very nicely. I also find I need less weight with the lever than with the 45 degree style. There are pics of it in the Show Your Home Gym thread for the info of @nightfalltech.

If you use the uni-lateral machine, uni-laterally, that is one leg at a time, you are able to literally end up with the thigh behind the ear, with minimal lumbar movement.
And the angle of platfrom the directs force directly in-line with the leg (lower leg) so there is no sheer force at the knee.

It's important to have the feet placed on the platform in the spot where there is no ankle movement throughout the movement.

Where my leg-press is at the moment, there is complaints that it move across the floor, what is not understood here is that the trainee does not controll the negative, it literally slams against the rubber pads and bounces off.

As i say, many do not use machines correclty for various reasons, usually EGO based.

Last edited:
Most of these machines I've seen are pin loaded though with only moderate stacks?.. Also can you effectively do a calf raise on a lever leg press?

Most of these machines I've seen are pin loaded though with only moderate stacks?.. Also can you effectively do a calf raise on a lever leg press?

You can also use a dip belt

Ive seen people use it for calves.
I personally feel one set, high reps is enough.

I do it yes, but in all honesty the toe press on a 45deg does feel nicer. However, I bought the lever leg press to do quad work, not calfs so I`m happy that I can still do them, just not as directly.