• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Leg Extension suggestions.....

Yeah I was gobsmacked! I found it on Gumtree. I believe it was purchased 2nd hand when a gym closed down, then it was never used and just gathered dust.

Any ideas on the best way to clean up the rust on the loading pins?

There is also sticky stuff (from an instruction placard) on the frame, what would be the best way to remove it?

Yeah I was gobsmacked! I found it on Gumtree. I believe it was purchased 2nd hand when a gym closed down, then it was never used and just gathered dust.

There is also sticky stuff (from an instruction placard) on the frame, what would be the best way to remove it?

I just realised you got it here in SA
You bastard!

Go to bunnings

A product called Goo-off; for the sticky, or you can just use nail polish remover.
In the paint section, they have a really good rust remover, cannot remember the name though. Hang on, it's called Bondall Ranex rust remover.

Clean the frame with mr sheen.
Then use car wax.

The upholstery.
Use soapy water, don't use solvent.
The foam they use on Hammer is called Tempur foam, it mould to the shape of your body.

Because of the linear bearings, the machine is ultra smooth, minimal friction, to get the best out of hammer, you use less weight rather than more and move much slower than you would on conventional equipment, if you move too fast, momentum will do much of the work.

The first two reps don't go to full contraction.

Keep you back against the seat at all times, don't lean forward as you get tired.
You don't want your hammies restricting the movement, this happens if you lean forward at contraction.

Last edited:
Go to bunnings

A product called Goo-off; for the sticky, or you can just use nail polish remover.
In the paint section, they have a really good rust remover, cannot remember the name though. Hang on, it's called Bondall Ranex rust remover.

Clean the frame with mr sheen.
Then use car wax.

The upholstery.
Use soapy water, don't use solvent.
The foam they use on Hammer is called Tempur foam, it mould to the shape of your body.

Because of the linear bearings, the machine is ultra smooth, minimal friction, to get the best out of hammer, you use less weight rather than more and move much slower than you would on conventional equipment, if you move too fast, momentum will do much of the work.

The first two reps don't go to full contraction.

Keep you back against the seat at all times, don't lean forward as you get tired.
You don't want your hammies restricting the movement, this happens if you lean forward at contraction.

Awesome buddy thanks for the suggestions. Will fix it all up and post some pics when it`s all done and settled in its new spot!

Any idea on how the position of the loading pins effects the strength curve? I see there are two differently placed pins per leg.

I'm jelly.
I'll be home in 4 weeks, then I too can buy shit like this. I have big garage. :)

Think I've just found a less nice but still commercial peice with a 90kg stack for $250, and a lying leg curl with 150kg stack for $250. Very tempted by a nautilus Nitro pullover (110kg stack) for $1250 but I just don't think I have anywhere to put it!!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Think I've just found a less nice but still commercial peice with a 90kg stack for $250, and a lying leg curl with 150kg stack for $250. Very tempted by a nautilus Nitro pullover (110kg stack) for $1250 but I just don't think I have anywhere to put it!!

Where is this?

The nitro?
I dont exactly know what Nautilus did to this (could be the cam) but it in no way feels like the older ones.
Don't buy it for $1250, ask $200.00.

If you're looking for a pullover, a good one is the Hammer Strength.
Good luck finding a gen 1 or 2 Nautilus.

That together with lack of space is enough for me not to get that, I'll stick with DB pullovers at home for now and use the hammer strength on my rare gym visits. Leg ext and curl seem decent though for, $500 combined :)

That together with lack of space is enough for me not to get that, I'll stick with DB pullovers at home for now and use the hammer strength on my rare gym visits. Leg ext and curl seem decent though for, $500 combined :)

Sounds a nice find mate! How are you finding the GHDs for hammie work? Have you tried reverse hypers on them?

Are you sore after them? I was hoping that GHDs coupled with stiff leg DLs would be enough for the hams but I`m thinking I will still need a seated or lying leg curl?

My hamstrings were sore after doing GHR and seemed to target my hamstrings well, but i personally enjoy doing lying leg curls as well and i'd say I've had more Doms from leg curls in the past (I'm struggling to do volume of ghrs) I have done unweighted reverse hypers but to be honest didn't really feel much of anything from that, I'll need to check my form.

After all the searching I finally snagged this piece today. Hammer Strength Iso Lateral Leg Ext.......for the amount of........300 bucks!

VERY pleased to say the least considering they are around 4k new I believe.

IMG_0883.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

It needs a good clean etc but I`m over the moon.

Thanks to everyone who added to this thread :)

My gym has one of those. I've never used it.. might have to give it a go.

I used it properly for the first time today and was amazed at how well it isolated the quads. I've never felt individual quad pain like it before from using other leg ext.

I'm very impressed with it and will be looking for more HS stuff or at least clones of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used it properly for the first time today and was amazed at how well it isolated the quads. I've never felt individual quad pain like it before from using other leg ext.

I'm very impressed with it and will be looking for more HS stuff or at least clones of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

try this occasionaly
When you get to the last rep, and for deeper inroad, use the handle to pull it up let go and slowly lower the weight and repeat, do the lifting quickly, the trick is not to let the muscle recover, stop when you are unable to control the negative, (negative's)

burn baby burn!

try this occasionaly
When you get to the last rep, and for deeper inroad, use the handle to pull it up let go and slowly lower the weight and repeat, do the lifting quickly, the trick is not to let the muscle recover, stop when you are unable to control the negative, (negative's)

burn baby burn!

Will give it a go bud.

I did it as you suggested earlier, ensuring I controlled each rep on both concentric and eccentric phases.

I felt I got a much better and consistent contraction this way. Top advice, as it would be easy to flick it at the bottom and let momentum help.

:)

Will give it a go bud.

I did it as you suggested earlier, ensuring I controlled each rep on both concentric and eccentric phases.

I felt I got a much better and consistent contraction this way. Top advice, as it would be easy to flick it at the bottom and let momentum help.

:)

super, remember to breath.

To make a point how effective and isolatory this exercise is, try this Gettin.

At contraction, lean forward, youll feel your hamstrings inhibit the movement.

It's why the backrest is angled back.

It's a very well designed piece.

[MENTION=8971]Gettingbigger[/MENTION];

"Any idea on how the position of the loading pins effects the strength curve? I see there are two differently placed pins per leg."

The pins at the side are mostly for extra weight, no effect on the strength curve but the further up the moment arm the less weight is applied, simple levers 101.

Used properly it would be very unusual to see any hammer machine, or in fact any pin loaded machine fully loaded.

Where my leg press is, there was a complaint it was jumping across the floor, they ended up sitting it up against the wall, I couldn't be bothered telling them why.
There is a vid of a very strong boy using my lex extension fully loaded and although he is strong he is using it incorrectly.

There is a seat belt on your machine, make sure you use it.

[MENTION=8971]Gettingbigger[/MENTION];

"Any idea on how the position of the loading pins effects the strength curve? I see there are two differently placed pins per leg."

The pins at the side are mostly for extra weight, no effect on the strength curve but the further up the moment arm the less weight is applied, simple levers 101.

Used properly it would be very unusual to see any hammer machine, or in fact any pin loaded machine fully loaded.

Where my leg press is, there was a complaint it was jumping across the floor, they ended up sitting it up against the wall, I couldn't be bothered telling them why.
There is a vid of a very strong boy using my lex extension fully loaded and although he is strong he is using it incorrectly.

There is a seat belt on your machine, make sure you use it.

Yeah I played around with the different pins using the same weight. The only difference I noticed was that the loading pin furthest from the lever provided the greater resistance, which as you say is to be expected re simple levers.

I lifted the huge amount of 10kg per leg for 4 x 20 and it destroyed my quads. I`m not soft by any means but doing it slowly and correctly with less weight provided much more muscular pain than from flicking a heavy weight up and down.

Seatbelt was applied for the last couple of sets and added an extra mental cue to keep the tension constant and remain in the seat.

I`m really impressed with the smoothness of the machine in general. I have seen a few Hammer Clones on the gymdirect website which have caught my eye.

Any other hammer machines that you have used that you enjoyed?