• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

idea of drug tested gyms

spartacus

I know I am going to annoy some, but I am interested to see people's response to the following: Australian gyms being forced to have an agreement with drug testing agencies and signage about whether their members can be tested for PEDS, as is the case elsewhere.

Just interested in hearing opinions given I have submitted an article to a journal on the case of powerlifting, another govt failure in terms of drug testing.

yes, say what you think, I am just interested.

but, remember there will be still gyms that need no obligation for drug-testing, so freedom of choice remains.

It is a bit like the fernwood concept for women gyms.

Spartacus, You did mention "being forced into an agreement with drug testing agencies"
How is this freedom of choice?

yes, only compulsory part is that gym must has signage on front wall and internet site indicating agreement or no agreement.

There is no criminal or civil penalty for not having a drug testing agreement. This is in contrast to another nation where use is deemed a criminal activity.

What sort of gyms are we talking here?
So if a regular Joe was a member there he could be approached and asked to take a drug test?
I'd tell them to piss off

I suppose it could be any available test for illegal PEDs (WADA code); there are various (full urine, half urine, blood and so on).

Thing is if you join gym with agreement, you cannot say no to drug test, even if you are an ordinary gym member. That is why it was implemented, to move beyond just testing elite sports people.

If you are not willing to be tested, you go to gym with no agreement.

Last edited:
In that's the case then I think it's a stupid idea
If a gym member is there to just workout and doesn't compete in any official comps then what does it matter whether he takes PED or not.

The onus should be on the individual federations who organise comps, not the gym.

Last edited:
ok, I want your opinion.

It will be interesting to see opinions on a community wide survey.

I would support it. The federations idea is also a good one, an aspect I discussed in article.

Last edited:
I honestly think no one would join any commercial gym that had testing like that
I can maybe understand if a gym like Melb Uni (where to be a member you basically need to be with PA or weightlifting Australia) implemented it. But even then it'd be kinda pointless cos they're all getting tested anyway

but the majority do join gyms and fitness centres with such agreements.

You wont know until people are given the choice.

Last edited:
So you think little 50 year old lady that wants to do spin class is going to accept being tapped on the shoulder to provide a urine sample on the spot?

And what happens if she fails the WADA test? 2 yea ban, $1000 fine and a suspended jail sentence LOL

why would they test little old ladies, is that would you would do?

From what I have read, they have specific guidelines to who they test, including based on size and behaviour.

Of course, there will be no fool proof system, but gym members provided around 80% of all positive tests.

Last edited:
How is all your testing going to be paid for?

There isn't enough funding for ASADA coded sports yet along wasting it on the public.

I think drug testing of welfare recipients would be a better use of testing money.

The gyms contribute, I think also through a proportion of membership fees.

People who test positive also have to pay full cost of tests.

The issue here is testing of illegal PEDs, in accordance to WADA rules. If welfare recipients go the gym, then they may too be tested.

One would suspect that most welfare recipients could not afford illegal PEDS, which are usually quite expensive, but some are indeed innovative in terms of wealth creation.

Last edited:
So gyms pay to be apart of a scheme, that could potentially alienate members and reduce possible market share?

As a gym owner, no matter what my moral or ethical stance is on PED's, I'd have to pass on your great initiative.

Agree 100% With Sticky! Being in the ADF I have to take a drug test to get my pay, the buggers on centerlink should definitely have to take one to receive the money that us tax payers are providing them.

As far as drug testing in gyms... nah I reckon the majority of gyms would not support the idea, as much as the drugs the members are taking are illegal in Aus, the gyms membership numbers are what keep them in business, if the members knew they were going to be tested the gym`s would lose money and not be a profitable business.

Be the same as night club owners testing patrons for amphetamine use and other illegal drugs. Would never happen, even though its probably "the right thing to do" morally and legally.

well you would reduce your scope for potential membership, given that 80% of gyms have such an agreement, and most members surveyed supported the scheme.

It would be a bad business decision if the same public attitudes were replicated here, but that would be your choice.

you cant really suppose anything until attitudes are actually tested by proper surveys. My gut feeling is that the same attitudes against drug use will prevail here too. In fact, I will be on it.

Last edited:
The gyms contribute, I think also through a proportion of membership fees.

People who test positive also have to pay full cost of tests.

The issue here is testing of illegal PEDs, in accordance to WADA rules. If welfare recipients go the gym, then they may too be tested.

One would suspect that most welfare recipients could not afford illegal PEDS, which are usually quite expensive, but some are indeed innovative in terms of wealth creation.

Spartacus, WADA's role is to reduce illegal drugs in competitive sport not to police the community, law enforcement is not their business nor should it be.

Also, what would the gyms get out of this?