• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Your Opinions on Rep Ranges in Strength Training

Go a step further, by using a training partner, they'll lift the weight for you and you lower it, while their pushing down on it, until you cannot control it, you'll get another 2or 3.

Then to make even further inroad, they'll lift the weight and you'll do another 2-3 negatives on your own.

At this point, your heart rate has tripled, your muscular strenght is zero and you are breathing very heavily.

I beleive this is the environment that a muscle requires to stimulate ultimate growth safely.

But not only is just hard fucking work physically, it's draining mentally, and needs to be done sparingly.
One set is usually enough, for the average man.

yes, last 2 reps is where the action is.

Key to push it, but also to rest enough to do it again in line with your maximum ability. To me, does not make sense to push to failure if one is not fully recovered. I take a few weeks to recover from a maximal effort, others a few days or a week.

It's interesting to observe, that after 20 to 30 years of consistent hard training, most will ( to extend their training life) gravitate to higher rep templates, also interesting to note that those trainees leave the barbell in the dirt and use dumbells.

But I think that whatever template you choose or however old you are, whether that is; 4, 10, 15 or 20, its the last 2 is Where all the action is.
That last rep, where all your fresh muscle strength is depleted and your holding that weight in an isometric contraction, then ever so slowly lowering it is the most result producing portion of the set I kid you not.
I like

Go a step further, by using a training partner, they'll lift the weight for you and you lower it, while their pushing down on it, until you cannot control it, you'll get another 2or 3.

Then to make even further inroad, they'll lift the weight and you'll do another 2-3 negatives on your own.

At this point, your heart rate has tripled, your muscular strenght is zero and you are breathing very heavily.

I beleive this is the environment that a muscle requires to stimulate ultimate growth safely.

But not only is just hard fucking work physically, it's draining mentally, and needs to be done sparingly.
One set is usually enough, for the average man.
I like this too

Are there sort of two extremes which both work - one which focusses on lower volume, very high intensity (eccentrics past failure, etc.) - the other which focusses on higher volume and doesnt go to failure (Sheiko, Smolov, etc.).

I was guilty of thinking 'less than 5 reps is optimal for my strength goals'. As soon as I started using 10 reps+ my strength shot up past my plateau. I would recommend to the OP to do this, and also to increase volume gradually (which has also worked for me). I've never tried forced eccentrics, training alone it is not an option (AFAIK).

Last edited:
Shieko and smolov and the like, ie, volume... are good (necessary) methods of *training* for power lifters.

However, Power lifters do include body builder type templates.
It is a requirement.
It's tricky for power lifters

These methods of skill work (training) that powerlifters do is not absolutely necessary or safe for the average Joe who is interested in looking and feeling good.

That's why I like rest pausing and myo reps
Lots of last reps, higher volume with a heavier weight and easier to recover from

These methods of skill work (training) that powerlifters do is not absolutely necessary or safe for the average Joe who is interested in looking and feeling good.

I thought this thread was about training for strength, rather than training to "look and feel good?"

I thought this thread was about training for strength, rather than training to "look and feel good?"

We need to go beyond this sort of thinking already.
Getting stronger and demonstrating strength are not the same thing.
Resistance training will get you stronger and look and feel good also.

Can you please explain that comment?

beat me to it sticky :p IMO specifically training to get stronger and training to look and feel good are different... look at elite powerlifters - they dont necessarily look good, but they're strong as hell. I bet they have plenty of aches and pains too... Whereas a trainer switching to DBs in their older years is likely more focused on the "feel good" bit

beat me to it sticky :p IMO specifically training to get stronger and training to look and feel good are different... look at elite powerlifters - they dont necessarily look good, but they're strong as hell. I bet they have plenty of aches and pains too... Whereas a trainer switching to DBs in their older years is likely more focused on the "feel good" bit

If most of them didn't eat everything in sight they would look great
Look at Sticky, strong AND looks good, beard not withstanding :D

Last edited:
Sticky, would you say that what you do on the platform in a comp. is the same as what you do in the gym?

You didnt clarify your statement......

But to answer your question, apart from the rep range....... Yes.......

You didnt clarify your statement......

But to answer your question, apart from the rep range....... Yes.......

What's there to clarify?
In the gym you build strength, on the platform you demonstrate it.
Your answer would be no then

WarbyD wrote:

You wrote:

There was no mention of competitions, so I'm not to sure what your post was about.