• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Your Opinions on Rep Ranges in Strength Training

I would recommend trying all rep ranges and seeing what works for you.

For too long I neglected 7-12+ reps because my goal was 'strength'. I started doing 8s and 12s as part of PPP assistance and my strength shot up. But a big part of that was increasing my volume.

If you are stalling I would recommend gradually upping your volume and perhaps eating slightly more (though eating more might not be necessary). Last week I think I did 5 sets of 6 for bench of 100kg (I can do about 10-11 reps now). If I gradually worked up to 10 sets of 6, then perhaps got 6 sets of 7, I am quite sure I would soon hit 12-14 reps of 100kg in a row if I tried.

If you are doing something like 85kg 5x5 try 85kgx5 for 6 sets, and gradually (over a couple of weeks) working up to 7 sets, with your last set always being balls to the wall. Then maybe add some dips. I'm adding 1 set of dips per week currently.

Last edited:
lol no there are no studies done on it
people are very different, everyone likes and gets results from different rep ranges
there are some strong ass bench only dudes that just do bro training

I dont know say take bruce lee for example he probaly cant bench 180 kg 5x but can probaly easily pump out 150 kg x 20 ? Agile compared to raw strength.

I don't think Bruce Lee can bench anything right at the moment.

I seriously doubt he could ever have benched 150 for 20 reps either.

I just looked it up, Bruce Lee used to bench 90lb
yeah, lmao
and he took roids

I think you need to do all, but purely for strength low rep 5 or less is the go, you are training for strength not endurance.

High rep training might trigger muscle growth and builds endurance, but does little to build strength.

Like in the Bruce Lee example, he was lean and fit and fast, and used to be able to do hundreds of push ups, which will probably make his max bench higher than most non trainers, however really will do little for strength.

Again being able to bench 180kg, will do little to help you do 200 push ups.

So in conclusion, for strength low rep with max weights, to build muscle I personally believe (and thats how I train) you need to do both high rep and low rep training on the big compund lifts, the rest does not really matter too much.

I currently follow the 5/3/1 template (low rep) for bench, dead, squat and press, and then also do 5 x 10 reps of each with lighter weights each week, as such hitting each of the big 4 twice a week once low and heavy and once lighter, (between 50-70% of one rep max) at 5 x 10 reps

Not sure this will work for everyone but seems to be doing the trick for me at this time.

Last edited:
I think you need to do all, but purely for strength low rep 5 or less is the go, you are training for strength not endurance.

High rep training might trigger muscle growth and builds endurance, but does little to build strength.

Like in the Bruce Lee example, he was lean and fit and fast, and used to be able to do hundreds of push ups, which will probably make his max bench higher than most non trainers, however really will do little for strength.

Again being able to bench 180kg, will do little to help you do 200 push ups.

So in conclusion, for strength low rep with max weights, to build muscle I personally believe (and thats how I train) you need to do both high rep and low rep training on the big compund lifts, the rest does not really matter too much.

I currently follow the 5/3/1 template (low rep) for bench, dead, squat and press, and then also do 5 x 10 reps of each with leighter weights each week, as such hitting each of teh big 4 twice a week once low and heavy and once lighter, (between 50-70% of one rep max) at 5 x 10 reps

Not sure this will work for everyone but seems to be doing the trick for me at this time.

That is just total stupid, ignorant, bag of hair rubbish

Experiment I think sweet spot for that burn sensation 50-60% 1 rep max 14-15 reps your 11-12 u should feel it your burning up energy stores rest 3 mins minimum before next set. Thats my sweet spot but kore iimportantly what you do in recovery is the building blocks of muscle eg drink cold water ice baths ater work out and foam roller which I hate cause it hurts like bat outa hell ironing out the lactic acid knotts.

Silverback is right.

While lower reps appear to stress the body most specifically to develop strength, there is now way in the world that a magical rep range can be defined for all individuals, albeit many have tried with their various claims to fame.

As in have suggested before, if one sprints the last 400m of a marathon, this moves the prime energy source back to anaerobic.

So, if reps were done to failure of near failure, say 10-15 reps, this would also develop strength. a maximal contraction remains a maximal contraction whether after 4, 6, 9, or even 19.5 reps.

Again, that is why many people who do high rep training, often explosive reps, still have great gross strength levels, whether they be downhill skiers, ballet dancers, gymnasts, or even heavy weight boxers.

There was also a great bb, Serge Nubret, who also trained mostly on a relatively low % of max, and claims he could do reps on 500 pounds bench press. Training described.
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/serge_nubret_pump_training

Also, again, there may be a mental factor in what reps a person likes doing; hence, some may prefer heavy weights, low reps and long rests. Others lighter weights, preferring to go for pump or speed. My preference is training on moderate weights, with a heavy session around once per week for each major exercise.

But, if thinking is not your thing, then stick to low reps, say 5 x 5 or 4 x4 or 4 x 6, or ay other formula that sounds good, and you probably wont go wrong.

To me, silverback makes sense, and I am sure he comments after years of experience and observation.

The fact there are so many champions out there with varied rep ranges, suggests that there is no magical rep change.

Wilf Paish, ‘Development of Strength’, Modern Athlete and Coach, Vol. 34, No. 1, Jan. 1996, p. 25.
25)There is no best system for development of strength.
“There are many systems…that can be used to break down the cellular proteins”.
“It is not the system but the biomechanical/physiological adaption to the stimulus (strength training systems) that produces the gains in strength”.
Once the response has been triggered off a further increase in the intensity of stimulus will not create a greater response. Hence there is not a single system that will offer an open sesame or secret metho for success.
Response is mainly genetic and physiological response is brought about during recovery process. Brought about by interaction of specific amino acids (proteins) and the growth hormone.

Last edited:
It's interesting to observe, that after 20 to 30 years of consistent hard training, most will ( to extend their training life) gravitate to higher rep templates, also interesting to note that those trainees leave the barbell in the dirt and use dumbells.

But I think that whatever template you choose or however old you are, whether that is; 4, 10, 15 or 20, its the last 2 is Where all the action is.
That last rep, where all your fresh muscle strength is depleted and your holding that weight in an isometric contraction, then ever so slowly lowering it is the most result producing portion of the set I kid you not.

Last edited: