• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Pea Protein Isolate - What am I missing?

Skobb

Just ordered my usual 4kg bag of WPC for $85, but also found a 5kg bag of PPI for $64 so I figured it couldn't hurt.

People say that PPI has a lower amount of AAs than Whey, and that it is an incomplete protein for whatever reason..

So I'm wondering, say I'm aiming for 200g protein a day.. If about 50g of that is coming from pea protein, should I be worried?
Should I record that in my diary as 30g just to be safe?

If anybody has any knowledge on the PPI and can tell me exactly what the difference in AA profiles will mean to me, that'd be great ;)

Pea protein isolate is a complete protein, not sure where you heard otherwise, i use it exclusively.

24g of protein per serve, can't go wrong.

Just ordered my usual 4kg bag of WPC for $85, but also found a 5kg bag of PPI for $64 so I figured it couldn't hurt.

People say that PPI has a lower amount of AAs than Whey, and that it is an incomplete protein for whatever reason..

So I'm wondering, say I'm aiming for 200g protein a day.. If about 50g of that is coming from pea protein, should I be worried?
Should I record that in my diary as 30g just to be safe?

If anybody has any knowledge on the PPI and can tell me exactly what the difference in AA profiles will mean to me, that'd be great ;)

There are a few people on here who will no doubt chime in about the fact that it has a lower bioavailability (and probably mention its lower amino acid profile). As an avid PPI-consumer, my view is that if it is easier to digest than any other food, you are probably making use of as much of the protein in PPI as you are from more troublesome sources like beef and dairy.

I think the safest way to make sure you're getting enough protein is to count your intake based on protein sources e.g. your meat, eggs, PPI. That way, even if you're not absorbing 100% of the protein from the PPI, you will still be hitting your target because of the protein in your oats, almonds, natty peanut butter (and milk - or for me, lactose free milk).

/edit - That and it's much cheaper, so you can take more of it anyway. $35/month cf to $88/month (roughly).

Has already been discussed a bit here:

http://ausbb.com/bodybuilding-supplements/23688-protein-alternatives.html

So I will not type all my stuff out again but will quote from the original thread to add to the discussion:

Already done my research, this is why I commented, Pea protein is harder to digest, and has a lot less protein per weight making any saving null and void as you have to consume a lot more to get the same amount of protein, and as well as having an incomplete amino acid profile.

Amino Acids per 100g Protein

BCAA's.......................WPI...........................PEA

Leucine.....................12.06g........................5.93g

Isoleucine ...................7.03g.......................3.43g

Valine.........................6.68g........................3.57g

The same pattern continues for the rest of the essential amino acids, if you don't believe me Google is your friend.

QUOTE:
Other distinct and highly beneficial proteins found in whey, but absent in pea protein, are Immunoglobulins, Lactoferrin and Serum Albumin. These particular proteins are a powerful defense mechanism for our immune system. They are transporters for antibodies, inhibit bacterial and viral growth and act as a barrier against invaders, among others things. What’s unique about these proteins is that they are only present in milk derived products and cannot be found in any plant source. Also, another amino acid present in whey protein but absent in pea protein is cysteine. Cysteine, glutamic acid and glycine are the three precursors necessary for intracellular glutathione (GSH) production. Glutathione is considered our body's 'Master Antioxidant' and without cysteine GSH production will be lacking.

True true - I agree that pea protein doesn't seem to come close to matching up when you read that article, but that page is produced by makers of a whey protein supplement.

There's a few good comments on this page and there's no commercial interest :p

Lactose Intolerant Bodybuilding: Pea Protein Isolate Amino Acid Profiling! Part 3 - BCAA's and general overview!

Yep I can see the benefits of pea protein for lactose intolerant people, and it may be still good for everyone. And it does present an alternative, but I am guessing it could also be prone to tampering like the whey.

Whey is a little more complete than the Vege proteins we stock but they do have their own market for one reason or another.

To match the Amino Acid profile of WPI/WPC, one would need to mix Rice and Pea protein together.

That's not to say you should count "50 grams of protein from Pea Isolate as 30 grams" as there is more than enough muscle building Amino Acids in Pea to count them all, it's just if we are comparing it to Whey's Amino Acid profile.

Some just don't sit right with dairy / lactose sources or are Vegan's etc, so it does have it's customers for a number of reasons.

Like I said previously, there are reasons why pea protein could be an alternative if whey is not suitable to the individual for what ever reason.

But can not see the point in it if you have no dietary intolerance, or you are not vegetarian/vegan. Why you would take pea protein over WPI/WPC??