• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

walt

DuffProteinMan
anyone rate these?
I swear, no joke, it feels like my rib cage has expanded since i have been doing these?
[MENTION=3627]Silverback[/MENTION]; [MENTION=9251]Darkoz[/MENTION]; [MENTION=895]Shrek[/MENTION];

Would this mainly be a chest exercise?

I believe expanding the rib cage is a myth.

Good for lats.

Sent from my iPod touch from Pluto

A lot of old time bodybuilders would do the pullover in conjunction with the squat to get as much air into the lungs and along with the extreme stretch from the pullovers, the idea was that it would expand the rib cage.

Whether you can actually expand an adult ribcage noticeably is debateable and I myself am sceptical.
Having said that, I think the pullover is a great exercise and I use them regularly in my workout however, I feel that it's more of a lat exercise rather than chest since you're bringing your arms from over your head down towards and into your body, very similar to a straight arm lat pull down.

The problem is that many turn the pullover into a tricep exercise by bending and moving their elbows when bringing the weight back up.
The elbows should be unlocked but fixed throughout the movement.

I am of the firm opinion you cannot expand rib cage.

Sent from my iPod touch from Pluto

Me?

The idea is that through the heavy breathing of the squat and the action of the Pullover and other exercises that Peary put together was that the cartlidge or sternum of a young adult will stretch, how much i have no idea, and maybe not significant enough to tell, but does seem possible.

Only started doing them a few weeks back and love em. They really hit my lats and chest. The core gets a fair pounding as well.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Was watching a Youtube video, Training Chest with Kai Greene, he was showing some dude how to do these, really focusing on contracting and pinching pecs the whole ROM. Going to try them.

I never felt a whole lot doing them, aside from shoulder discomfort. Always preferred chins. Dorian Yates said the pullover machine is preferable but I dont have one of those.

What sort of weight/reps are you doing?

I've been using the Hammer strength pullover for the last few years.
I have 110kg loaded on this and I am on at presently 11 reps.

Those that do the pull-over.

Do you lie across the bench or along it?

Do you notice a difference?

Will be trying both methods in about an hours time.

But just thinking out loud, I would think lying across the bench with an arch would make you more inclind to incorperate your lats, legs and core?

Kai in his video made a point that you should be flat along the bench and not lifting your core or be swinging your shoulders/back into the motion.