• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
yes, but only if you are a powerlifter.

If you are a not, and want good leg development, then give them a miss.

Last edited:
of course there will be some emphasis on quads in all squatting.

I just think low bar squats are not necessary for non-powerlifting sports.

As first post suggested, emphasis on posterior chain can be developed from other basic exercises.

and emphasis on the quads can be developed from other basic exercises as well
what's the point?

But most strength programs, outside powerlifting, utilise high bar squats.

Most bodybuilders do too.

I wonder why?

I feel powerlifting squats, as ugly as they are to look at, are good for one thing: powerlifting.

Oni thread is about squats, high bar and low bar, that is the point.

Last edited:
There are lots of athletes that use low bar squats too
You're just making shit up

Oni, you wanker

you think you know it all.

I only offer an opinion.

But having observed top athletes for 30 years, I have never seen anyone do low bar squats outside powerlifting. Exceptions were those who did throws and powerlifting. Ah, maybe a few people in Australian history given few do powerlifting.

For what it is worth, I think all squats are overrated for sport, outside lifting sports. I would emphasise a lot of one legged movements if I was a coach now for sprinters and so on. Would also include high bar squats and some kind of pulling movement (power cleans or deadlifts).

Last edited:
What don't you believe me?

I have nothing to prove to you.

You assume I make it all up, so we will leave it at that.

The differences are way the fuck overblown by most interweb gurus. You're still squatting the damn weight, either way. Then some people do a halfway hybrid thing, and that works for them.

What differences there are, some say the choice is (or should be) based on body proportions (e.g., femur length, etc.) Wno knows - maybe they're right. Choose what works better for your own body? Weird idea I guess, but there you go.

I do low bar squats, and have been told that I have "treetrunk legs" a few times. This is @ the low end of medium body fat levels, too.

Could be this particular "guru" (whatever his name is; I've forgotten already) doesn't know everything about squatting...? :confused: Damn, and I was so hoping to follow one. :(

edit: "Not an exercise" cracks me right up, too. Fuck you, it isn't.

fair enough,

I believe powerlifting squats are good for powerlifting.

For any other sport, I would not consider them. That is my opinion. This is despite low bar squats working the hamstrings more than Olympic squats.

To clarify my view further, I see each sport involving skill and specific conditioning. In other words, don't waste your time mastering complex skills (like powerlifting squats) to condition your legs, unless you are a powerlifter. For powerlifting, low bar squats are a must. When I did 160kg in a CAPO comp in 2011, I knew full well I would do much more if I learned a low bar squat.

As I have advised better sprinters than myself in the past, don't waste your time getting a good power clean. Only reason why I was reasonable was because of past lifting experience and strong back; little relevance to sprinting.

For most sports, beyond specific tests, I would use standing long jump and standing vertical as basic test for leg power. The leg exercises would be basic movements and merely used for conditioning.

Last edited:
I'm convinced judging by the emotional replies that some of you guys have not even read the article, which comes from a very respectable source.

Can't speak for others (like said "guru" is trying to, for example), but *I* have definitely read the whole thing. Not a problem there.

As for "emotional replies", give it a fucking break, mate. Calling out what amounts to flat out bullshit is not emotional; it's necessary, and most of it deserves some fire, or derision at the very least. This is one of many such cases.

For example:

"The low bar squat is not an exercise for leg development; it’s a way of doing a strength feat that allows a man or woman to lift the most weight while staying within the rules for the lift, but it’s not a movement that those who wish to develop leg strength for sports or to improve the shape and appearance of their legs has any business doing."

Bwahaha. :rolleyes:

What a load of fucking shit. "Not an exercise for leg development" ... well, this wanker thinks he knows aaallll about squats. But no. He's opinionated, arrogant, and as it turns out, ignorant as well. IOW, totally full of shit.

It's not the first time someone with that kind of status has shot their mouth off, with something so retarded, you might wonder if they've spent more time smashing their head into the nearest walls all day every day, rather than training anyone, or lifting anything.

Not that US weightlfiters have got very far in some time anyway... :p

There are lots of athletes that use low bar squats too
You're just making shit up

Why don't you provide a list 0ni? Also riddle me this batman, if the best squatter in the world does low bar back squats and the next 6 guys right on heels does only high bar, is the best guy in the world the best because he only does low bar? Or maybe, just maybe, could it be because of some other factor? To be honest, unless you provide a study that has been conducted that concludes low bar back squats will produce an increase in blah blah blah, then all you are really pushing on people is your opinion rather than something that is a fact.

My Deadlift went up by 10kgs just doing snatches and clean and jerks and no Deadlifts for 3 months. Should I be running around telling everyone if you want to increase your Deadlift then you need to do the Olympic lifts???

The article talks about squat carryover to olympic lifts and quad development. High bar is better for both of those - I dont think anyone disagrees with that.

Why though does squatting have to be about carryover and quads? I prefer low bar because, for me, its more comfortable. I dont really give a shit that it isnt going to help me snatch or jerk off or whatever. I see plenty of low bar squatters with big quads too so i dont think im going to have twig legs because I dont high bar squat...

it always seems that people want black and white with this - "low bar isnt as good for oly lifters so its shit" "high bar isnt as good for powerlifting so its shit" - IMO unless you happen to be a competitive oly lifter or power lifter, who gives a shit? Do whatever you prefer.

But isn't the goal of powerlifting to lift the most weight in accordance to the rules.

I think you partially hit nail on head when you referred to people's anatomy and how some may be suited and others not.

I think whether you are a powerlifter or Olympic lifter, an all-round exercise base would been needed to get world class legs in terms of bodybuilding.

In other words, each style of lift generally has a bias towards certain muscles.

I remember in 1980s a cope of guys doing reps on 500 pounds, powerlifting style, yet their leg development in terms of balance was poor.

Similarly, i have seen very strong Olympic lifters with hammies lagging.

it always seems that people want black and white with this - "low bar isnt as good for oly lifters so its shit" "high bar isnt as good for powerlifting so its shit" - IMO unless you happen to be a competitive oly lifter or power lifter, who gives a shit? Do whatever you prefer.

Post of the thread!!

This thread is done, let's move on

Someone once wrote, along time ago;

"So, if you can't trust or believe anybody else, then why should you believe me? You should not believe me, but it might not hurt to at least listen to what I have to say; having done so, then think about it, and then put it to the test.

Then, if it works, keep it up, and if it does not work then try something else.

In the field of exercise nobody can tell you just what is best for you, but some of us can at least point out a few things to avoid: things like plyometrics, explosive movements, marathon workouts and a long list of other stupidities."