• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

A Essay of Basic Idiot Questions. by Troyboy.

Troyboy

Ive searched on here a bit, read a few articles, googled a little but cant really find simple answers about a few things im running into since starting training (~month or 2 of PTC program)

Im hoping for some really basic answers to some simple questions figured id give you well educated gents (or ladies) a chance to show how concise and direct you can be; in a sort of a correct me if im wrong format.

my understanding is basically from wikis, forums and other disreputable sources so im probably wrong about all of it.

im aware some of these might sound and be very silly, feel free to confirm this.

so got a few to start (sorry. text walls.)

please pick one or all to answer, and thankyou in advance.

DOMS/muscle soreness.

had my first case of muscle soreness this week since i started training. did a session of really low and good form squats last friday (only 60kg, my max is 70) and had glute pain that didnt start till monday morning.

cause:
pushing muscles causes them to hurt. (simple as that? so why just this week?)

solution:
best way to minimise sore muscles?
diet: dont want supplements; are there paricular foods that help, or is do i just need to eat more food?
sleep - i hear its important for recovery, does this mean it affects this muscle pain? or does sleep affect recovery as in 'amount of time before you can do that exercise again'
stretching/rolling/mobility doesnt affect at all? (doms on wiki)

for that matter, why stretch at all???

second:

FOOD and its effect on getting through my lifts

i was under the impression that i needed excess calories and plenty of protein to help me get through my lifts and keep adding weight to the bar (and thus to me).
i get that P/C/F should be in a particular balance to be optimal, but basically im subscribing to:
"eat more of everything and you will lift better"

anything wrong with that assumption?

im going along with my normal healthy meals (meat + veg/carbs, minimal processed foods or refined sugar) and adding calories in various degrees each week with milk. (belly too big = less milk that week, belly flat = more milk that week)

whats the really basic idea i should be shooting for here - im 6'1, 85-6ish kgs (+3/4 from starting, was as high as 88 for a bit there); im lifting very beginner weights (reps @ 70/60/90)

do i want to just smash a lot of good food and a tonne of milk? or try and balance diet more? my appetite has never been that strong, eating a lot consistently is a challenge. (happy for the challenge but would like confirmation before i dedicate myself to being a 'fat kunce' )

whats a really basic rule for me to shoot for?

WEED and ALCOHOL

so pot:
i have a bit of an on and off thing, a week here or there, a few weeks without, repeat.
atm been off for a few weeks now, its harder to sleep, less appetite...
i know smoking isnt good for you, and going to go for as long as i can on this current break... but out of the 3 things i think are important to training (motivation, appetite, sleep) its a help to 2 of them...

no real question here but i guess i should try and stay away from smoking, right?

alcohol:
as i understand alcohol its really bad for training.. your body uses alcohol instead of the energy sources it should, its empty calories etc
i dont drink a lot, but i should stop it wherever possible as it is very very bad, yes?

REPS

bit of semantics and silliness here but im curious what the consensus is.

what constitutes a 'rep' and a 'set' ?

Rep: what i mean is, if im not getting low enough on squats for a couple out of my set do i not count them?

i see people typing 'fail' on some of their logs; whats that about? i would have thought every time you cant get a full set then you are failing on your last rep... am i missing something?

is a SET strictly what you can do between picking the weight up and putting it down?

if im benching and i rack it for 5-10 seconds before continuing should i consider it an incomplete/new set?

what about pausing/releasing tension at the bottom of a curl; or holding at the top of a squat for a few breaths (ok im sure these should be considered fine)

rests between sets? read about a bloke waiting 30 minutes between sets... surely that should count as a completely different workout? or doesnt it matter at all whatever gets you through?

and Finally

whats the fastest way to make a woman orgasm??

jk, who cares.

troy

lol you are over thinking it. Just pick a routine and stick to it, eat, sleep and I promise you will slowly grow like everyone else.

Keep drinking and smoking if you like, but don't go crazy horse. Try and enjoy your workouts and don't take it too seriously. Slow and steady wins the race.

and if you still want an answer to all those questions I recommend you read "Serious Strength Training" by Tudor Bompa. It's on kindle.

DOMS/muscle soreness.

had my first case of muscle soreness this week since i started training. did a session of really low and good form squats last friday (only 60kg, my max is 70) and had glute pain that didnt start till monday morning.

cause:
pushing muscles causes them to hurt. (simple as that? so why just this week?)

solution:
best way to minimise sore muscles?
diet: dont want supplements; are there paricular foods that help, or is do i just need to eat more food?
sleep - i hear its important for recovery, does this mean it affects this muscle pain? or does sleep affect recovery as in 'amount of time before you can do that exercise again'
stretching/rolling/mobility doesnt affect at all? (doms on wiki)

for that matter, why stretch at all???

DOMS is a fact of life if you are pushing yourself to get stronger. Its not about the weight being moved, but how heavy it is relative to your current strength.

In short, get used to it, before long you will almost welcome it.

FOOD and its effect on getting through my lifts

i was under the impression that i needed excess calories and plenty of protein to help me get through my lifts and keep adding weight to the bar (and thus to me).
i get that P/C/F should be in a particular balance to be optimal, but basically im subscribing to:
"eat more of everything and you will lift better"

anything wrong with that assumption?

im going along with my normal healthy meals (meat + veg/carbs, minimal processed foods or refined sugar) and adding calories in various degrees each week with milk. (belly too big = less milk that week, belly flat = more milk that week)

whats the really basic idea i should be shooting for here - im 6'1, 85-6ish kgs (+3/4 from starting, was as high as 88 for a bit there); im lifting very beginner weights (reps @ 70/60/90)

do i want to just smash a lot of good food and a tonne of milk? or try and balance diet more? my appetite has never been that strong, eating a lot consistently is a challenge. (happy for the challenge but would like confirmation before i dedicate myself to being a 'fat kunce' )

whats a really basic rule for me to shoot for?

During this stage of your training, you want to be gaining approx 0.5kg every week and consume a minimum of 150g of protein every day. Eat whatever the hell you want in order to acheive this, lots of fresh fruit, veggies and meat is obviously desirable, as are cheeseburgers (seriously).

WEED and ALCOHOL

so pot:
i have a bit of an on and off thing, a week here or there, a few weeks without, repeat.
atm been off for a few weeks now, its harder to sleep, less appetite...
i know smoking isnt good for you, and going to go for as long as i can on this current break... but out of the 3 things i think are important to training (motivation, appetite, sleep) its a help to 2 of them...

no real question here but i guess i should try and stay away from smoking, right?

alcohol:
as i understand alcohol its really bad for training.. your body uses alcohol instead of the energy sources it should, its empty calories etc
i dont drink a lot, but i should stop it wherever possible as it is very very bad, yes?

I cant comment on the weed, but if you are serious about training, avoid going out and getting smashed too often. One or two drinks per day will not adversely affect your training. Most of my PBs come after having one drink at lunch on a Friday.

^^^^ what he said.

Apart from seriously give the weed away, it kills brain cells and will end you with a criminal record, and not only that you are dealing with criminals to obtain it. In short no good can come of it.

Re alcohol, well I would not get wasted every week end, the occasional drink once every few weeks is fine to some degree, but not beneficial to training, but I must say I enjoy a few drinks at the pub with mates about once a month on average.

insert wall of text

Your from the Gold Coast, if you want all your questions answered venture to goldcoast barbell & see [MENTION=5361]El Freako[/MENTION]; aka Ben, aka the guru, aka Mr Lifts. Seriously its the best thing you'll do to get a couple sessions there and pick his brain.

The rates for coaching are fucking cheap especially when you consider his knowledge of the sport.

Last edited:
^^^^ what he said.

Apart from seriously give the weed away, it kills brain cells and will end you with a criminal record, and not only that you are dealing with criminals to obtain it. In short no good can come of it.

tHlc0OT.gif

DOMS is a fact of life if you are pushing yourself to get stronger. Its not about the weight being moved, but how heavy it is relative to your current strength.

so DOMS isnt a red flag as such?

i imagined it was like "hey my doms are really bad from that last session, i need to make sure I eat more/sleep more/pray to buddha/stretch more"

so DOMS isnt a red flag as such?

i imagined it was like "hey my doms are really bad from that last session, i need to make sure I eat more/sleep more/pray to buddha/stretch more"

No just means you been training, perfectly normal:)

Reminds me of a funny but true story:

I remember when I was training people years ago, this lady I was training approached me after her first group training session and asked me what was wrong with her.

I just looked at her blankly and had no idea what she was talking about, as she trained well for her first session and had worked up a huge sweat.

She then proceeded to ask me why this clear liquid was coming out of her skin and if she should go and see a Doctor:p She was really concerned.

True story, this really did happen:rolleyes:

Your from the Gold Coast, if you want all your questions answered venture to goldcoast barbell & see [MENTION=5361]El Freako[/MENTION]; aka Ben, aka the guru, aka Mr Lifts. Seriously its the best thing you'll do to get a couple sessions there and pick his brain. .

sound advice mate, I had been procrastinating finding someone for help/advice but have contacted ben just now.

........Troyboy comes back in a week benching with more arch than Sydney Harbour Bridge

:eek:

Last edited: