• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Bar-bell bench press

What grip width are you using and why?

What weekly rep ranges do you use?

Should we be training narrow width (hands shoulder width) as opposed to much wider?

I use a narrower grip because I'm stronger that way. It feels more natural and when ever I use a wider grip it kills my shoulders.

Reps in the 2-10 range but mostly 3-5.

I use a grip such that my forearms are vertical at the bottom of the lift, the outside of my hands are just inside the rings. I use this as it is the most efficient position.

Rep range: always 5.

I do incline barbell bench, haven't done flat bench for quite a few years
Usually 6 - 10 reps
Grip is slighty wider than shoulder width so at the bottom of the movement my forearms are vertical.

To be honest I don't really think about it these days, I just do it.

Last edited:
width same as Semillon.

Rep 4 sets of 6-8 on 60-70% of max (1-2 minute rest) most of time.

Occasional all out set anywhere from 6-20 reps (70-86% of max).

Also do close grip bench once a week (same rep range).

Best recent lifts 10/100kg normal bench and 5/100kg close grip.

I use a grip such that my forearms are vertical at the bottom of the lift, the outside of my hands are just inside the rings. I use this as it is the most efficient position.

Rep range: always 5.

So, the hand is around and a tad wider than shoulder width?

curious about placement of the bar when it hits your chest...

on the nipples? just below the nipples? lower still under the boob?

lower is better? (within reason)

I've been experimenting with a wider grip lately, a bit wider than shoulder. Feels much mor comfortable and I hit a PB double this yesterday without trying.

I've been trying to hit rep ranges of 2 to 8 over a few sets in each bench session. Throw in a few drop sets. It's been working well so far.

I also do CG bench every week as well as a wide grip bench.

I think if there is minimal movement at the wrist, throughout the movement, it could the key to the best posistion bio-mechanically?

To determine the optimal hand spacing..If you position your arms at the contracted position, then position your hands width so that the resistance is directly down the forearm, in that your wrist is not bent in any way.

I just make sure the forearms stay vertical and elbows aren't flaring out too far. While flaring out might be better for chest 'gains', I like my shoulders nice and protected. I prefer 5% interest over 40 years, not 10% for 2-3 years.

I have recently returned to the incline bench thanks to the wise words of Mr Bill Starr. No flat benching at all for several months. Went hard at OHP and incline, recently did a 9okg mil press & a 100kg incline press.

Jumped on the flat bench and put up a ridiculously easy 120kg with a pause.

I have recently returned to the incline bench thanks to the wise words of Mr Bill Starr. No flat benching at all for several months. Went hard at OHP and incline, recently did a 9okg mil press & a 100kg incline press.

Savage!

mursi-pod.jpg

What grip width are you using and why?

Wider grip pretty much to maximise chest involvement

What weekly rep ranges do you use?

Currently follow 5/3/1 template benching twice a week, once heavy low rep (5/3/1) and once light high rep (5 sets of 10 reps).

Should we be training narrow width (hands shoulder width) as opposed to much wider?

For me shoulder width is too close and has too much tricep involvement for my liking. Benching is for chest development IMO.

Last edited: