• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Sore joints

andyr99

Alright long story short 3 years ago my 1rm on bench was a measly 45kg I only weighed 51kg now weighing 81kg my 1rm is 135kg might not seem a lot to some of you guys but its an accomplishment for me I'm clawing my way to 150 which is my ultimate goal & I'm feeling the need to compete in something but standing lathered up in a g banger with a bunch of dudes flexing doesn't really interest me so powerlifting it is but my joints get pretty sore is there something I can do to overcome this? Was thinking maybe some kind of supplement? My muscles say yes but my joints say no shoulders in particular. Thanks guys

First, that's an awesome accomplishment mate, well done.

Second, id say try to find the source of your joint problem whether it be tight muscles, arthritis etc. Because for me it was as simple as rolling and stretching out a few very tight muscles which were causing my shoulder some serious pain.

Third, supplement wise I havent really tried much, fish oil is the only thing I take and it's supposed to be really good for the joints as well as overall health, so that would be my only recommendation.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk 2

If you're having joint issues at only 28 years of age I'd seriously consider what and how you're doing things

If you're having joint issues at only 28 years of age I'd seriously consider what and how you're doing things

This is well put. Once again.

Darko, if one is re-injuring oneself at 28, and feels sore and continually works around it, what's install for this person at 48?

What do you squat and deadlift? how much upper body work are you doing? which joints are effected?

This is well put. Once again.

Darko, if one is re-injuring oneself at 28, and feels sore and continually works around it, what's install for this person at 48?

A lot of grief I'd say
The pursuit of resistance exercise should be making your body stronger and healthier both now and in the long run, not the opposite.

When I talk to the blokes at the gym, the one thing that stands out in common is inflamed elbows from tricep work, this includes my elbows, especially the R one.

Lol. Don't play footy then. I don't know a 28 year old footy player that doesn't have joint and usually multiple joint problems.

Lol. Don't play footy then. I don't know a 28 year old footy player that doesn't have joint and usually multiple joint problems.

Bazza, I really don't know what football has to do with lifting weights, it's irrelevant to this discussion.

Last edited:
Bazza, I really don't what football has to do with lifting weights.

Fuck. Settle down. We are usually talking about lifting and fitness in general here. I know its called ausbb.com but I'm pretty sure there are a total of zero competing BBs here.

I would say by 28 if you are lifting weights seriously it would be very likely and almost unavoidable for most that you will have some joint problems.

Football is a 19th century game with little to no relevance in the 21st century other than it being a moronic tradition and a form of entertainment for fat, mouth breathing losers that have nothing better to do with their lives.

:eek:

Football is a 19th century game with little to no relevance in the 21st century other than it being a moronic tradition and a form of entertainment for fat, mouth breathing losers that have nothing better to do with their lives.

:eek:
Similar could be said about most sports. None really have any relevance. We do it because its fun. Bodybuilding, powerlifting. Zero relevance.

Lets look at someone 28 lifting weights semi seriously.
Probably been lifting for 10+ years, squats at least once a week( sub in any lift you want). 30 or so reps min each squat session. Probably looking at 15000 minimum squat reps in that in that time. Not counting accessory lifts. Anyone that does something heavy 15000 times with a lot of effort is a big chance of having some sort of joint injuries.

Now the way to try and avoid injuries is wrap yourself up in cotton wool and don't do anything strenuous but what's the fun in that. Bottom line is, do any sport seriously enough you are likely to have injuries.

Thanks for the replies boys (the constructive ones anyway) seems maybe i'll give glucosamine and fish oil a go might be the cost effective solution, anwering bricks question I have some work to do as far as squats and deadlifts go I avoided squats for ages because my arse seems to respond to squats far too well and was sick of getting called beyonce and tearing my pants haha but my best deadlift is 180 so far, I agree with Bazza 100% I know plenty of guys even in their early 20's with little nagging problems if you can go from lifting your first weight to years later without ANY issues you're either the man of steel or not pushing hard enough telling people to quit just because their shoulders get a bit sore sometimes is just silly and poor advice imo

Similar could be said about most sports. None really have any relevance. We do it because its fun. Bodybuilding, powerlifting. Zero relevance.

Lets look at someone 28 lifting weights semi seriously.
Probably been lifting for 10+ years, squats at least once a week( sub in any lift you want). 30 or so reps min each squat session. Probably looking at 15000 minimum squat reps in that in that time. Not counting accessory lifts. Anyone that does something heavy 15000 times with a lot of effort is a big chance of having some sort of joint injuries.

Now the way to try and avoid injuries is wrap yourself up in cotton wool and don't do anything strenuous but what's the fun in that. Bottom line is, do any sport seriously enough you are likely to have injuries.
In this case Bazza the OP has only been lifting for 3 years
3 Y E A R S

This will be my last comment here.
No-one suggested that you quit.
I made a simple and logical point that maybe you need to consider/re- evaluate what you are doing and how you are doing it.

Good luck with your joints.