• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

ausbb bodybuilding discussion: DELTS

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
How do you train your shoulders. Do you even train your shoulders? What tips have you learned? Discuss!

i love training my shoulders i feel they get the best pump out of every muscle.

i do:
seated dumbell press 5x5-10
supersetted with side lateral raises 5x10

rear delt flyes 5x10-15 (either done with cables or reverse fly machine)

standing military press 5x5-8

then if i feel i can ge a bit more i might do some bent over dumbell flyes for rear delts

So, military press and facepulls are most effective at hitting the rear delts? I am inclinced to try the reverse fly machine but I haven't used a machine in over a year, and like to keep this record going. :)

I find my rear delts get a caning from farmers walks...

I loved reading that.
You're the only bloke I've read thinking that, and I reckon farmers are a great way to develop the shoulders, I would go as far as to say that this is one of a handful of premium exercises.

So, military press and facepulls are most effective at hitting the rear delts? I am inclinced to try the reverse fly machine but I haven't used a machine in over a year, and like to keep this record going. :)

Yeah I find reverse fly either using DB's, cables or a machine can hit the rear delts pretty well depending how you do the exercise, it is very easy to turn the rear felt exercise into a back exercise.

^^ exactly, cables are awesome for rear delts, i find not overdoing the weight helps to isolate the rear delt otherwise you compensate with other muscles. just up the reps

I loved reading that.
You're the only bloke I've read thinking that, and I reckon farmers are a great way to develop the shoulders, I would go as far as to say that this is one of a handful of premium exercises.

So would I...as well as being great for conditioning, farmers have replaced all things shrug/traps in my routines too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I loved reading that.

Definitely Silverback, I'd go as far to say that if we only had one exercise for the whole body, farmers walk would be it.

How heavy do you guys go with farmers for it to be useful?

I do three full body workouts a week, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday morning.
I do my farmer's on saturday as a finisher.

Presently I carry 52kg in each hand and walk 40mtrs, I do this twice.

I increase the weight on each handle by 2.5kg when I can consistently perform the walk without dropping it, I'm nearly there.

My Saturday usually consists of a
Dead-lift 5x5
Shurgs
Row
Pull-over
Dip
Chin-up

On alternate weeks (sat)I do a brief full body 3x3

I think 40 mtrs is a good distance. For me.

The trick with these is to keep the shoulder back, as opposed to hunched forward.
Don't shrug the shoulder when fatigued.
When turning, use one handle nudge the other to cause momentum.
It's easier to turn using DB's.
Wrap the thumb over the first two fingers when holding the handle.

I think what makes farmers walk so effective is that that unlike other exercises such as squats and dead lifts, your body is moving over a distance and carrying a load for a greater length of time rather than just standing in one spot.

I think what makes farmers walk so effective is that that unlike other exercises such as squats and dead lifts, your body is moving over a distance and carrying a load for a greater length of time rather than just standing in one spot.

Yeah, there is a lot to be said for ISO-lateral movement, this is why lunges are the craze, you get mobility and stability at the hip, but we don't like lunges I don't see the benefit with extremely heavy weight.

I think a beginner could possible cut their teeth on the lunge, then leave them in the dirt, to go onto the walk, but then again may as well just start walking?

I think squatting Leg-pressing or deadlifting and farmer's are no brainers.