• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Opinions on 5/3/1 boring but big?

Thought of giving it a go, but way too much record keeping and calculating.
I'm in the gym to get away from that shit, not to introduce more of it.

Does anyone here (besides me) still do the old split routing from Shwarzengger New Encyclopedia of Modern BB?

I use an app on my phone to do the calculating for me ;) enter 1rm and select the week, then do as skynet tells me :p

Thought of giving it a go, but way too much record keeping and calculating.
I'm in the gym to get away from that shit, not to introduce more of it.

Does anyone here (besides me) still do the old split routing from Shwarzengger New Encyclopedia of Modern BB?

Not anymore but did it for a while. The results weren't great so I changed my routine.

How do you find it? Are you natty? Are you lifting big?

Find it bit stale, still making relatively OK progress, just feels like I've been doing fundamentaly the same routine for the past 20 years, most likely cos I have.
Don't get me wrong, I vary training within, intensity, order, drop sets, ect, as per the book.
Training naty, been focusing on form lately rather then huge lifts.
ATM sorta looks like this:
Bench 100kg x 12, 10, 8, 6 + incline 90kg 4 sets + flys 4 sets
Squat 100kg x 12, 10, 8, 6 + hack squats 120kg 4 sets + extensions 4 sets + hami curls 4 sets + calfs 10 sets
Tbar rows 100kg x 12, 10, 8, 6 + lat p/dwns 100kg 4 sets
Ezbar curls 60kg x 10, 8, 6, 6 + bb curls 40kg 3 sets, + db curls 20kg 3 sets
10 sets of tric, vary bout 6 different exercises.

I'm 5'10", 103kg, only get lean before a trip or holiday, never had bf measured, mate who competes estimates me 17-18%.

Think I need a new routine, have been reading here a bit, but keep doing the same thing when I walk into the gym. Something that will trigger some growth, but nothing ill need a spreadsheet to manage.
I must be the last dinosaur here left........lol

Find it bit stale, still making relatively OK progress, just feels like I've been doing fundamentaly the same routine for the past 20 years, most likely cos I have.
Don't get me wrong, I vary training within, intensity, order, drop sets, ect, as per the book.
Training naty, been focusing on form lately rather then huge lifts.
ATM sorta looks like this:
Bench 100kg x 12, 10, 8, 6 + incline 90kg 4 sets + flys 4 sets
Squat 100kg x 12, 10, 8, 6 + hack squats 120kg 4 sets + extensions 4 sets + hami curls 4 sets + calfs 10 sets
Tbar rows 100kg x 12, 10, 8, 6 + lat p/dwns 100kg 4 sets
Ezbar curls 60kg x 10, 8, 6, 6 + bb curls 40kg 3 sets, + db curls 20kg 3 sets
10 sets of tric, vary bout 6 different exercises.

I'm 5'10", 103kg, only get lean before a trip or holiday, never had bf measured, mate who competes estimates me 17-18%.

Think I need a new routine, have been reading here a bit, but keep doing the same thing when I walk into the gym. Something that will trigger some growth, but nothing ill need a spreadsheet to manage.
I must be the last dinosaur here left........lol
You do all this in one workout?

You do all this in one workout?

No couldn't manage that in a day.
My perfect week looks something like this, with sets I mentioned before.

Mon - back, bic, tric
Tue - chst, shlds
Wed - legs, calfs, abs

Thur - back, bic, tric
Fri - chst, shlds
Sat - legs, calfs, abs

Sun - Rest

Doesnt always work out like that, so gets mixed up a bit, ususaly a big and small b part in a day.

Looking to change to a new routine with a fancy name and maybe some numbers in it (guaranteed growth if it has numbers in the name ;) ).
Just dont know what to go for, too much info here.

android - the app is "wendler calculator"

OK, no good for me I have an iPhone, but found the app for it this morning, 5/3/1 calculator, super easy to use, just enter your 1 rep max select the week of the cycle and it gives you your workout weights/reps/sets including suggested warm up sets, love it takes about 30 seconds to schedule the workout.

I made a simple excel workbook to calculate it for me. Just put in the actual 1RM your working to for the or whatever, and it'll tell you the weights for each set for each week rounded to the nearest 2.5kg.

Don't think I can upload spreadsheets, but if anyone is feeling lazy and wants it, I can email it.

The app is great..(android)
You can google 531 program spreadsheet too. Pretty good actually. Calculates the whole thing for you and tells you what your lifting and when and for how many..

Dicko and I made a spreadsheet for this too
Plug in your 1RM's and it gives you work sets and how many reps you need to do to beat your calculated 1RM for the last workset and also what your estimated 1RM is with the amount of reps you completed

Has a graph to see your progress as you go through the cycles
Pm me if you want it

I used this plus the iPhone app when I was on 5/3/1

Dicko and I made a spreadsheet for this too
Plug in your 1RM's and it gives you work sets and how many reps you need to do to beat your calculated 1RM for the last workset and also what your estimated 1RM is with the amount of reps you completed

Has a graph to see your progress as you go through the cycles
Pm me if you want it

I used this plus the iPhone app when I was on 5/3/1

How did you find 531?

I spent 3 hours this morning perfecting a very basic excel spreadsheet only to jump on this thread and find that theres so many already posted on the internet that are free..... oh well not a bad way to make a working Friday go a bit quicker.

I ended up pinching a template from the interwebs and added my own BBB formula at the bottom, so simple to follow now!

Thanks to Mickdog for the op, I can't wait to give this 5/3/1 & BBB a crack.

I spent 3 hours this morning perfecting a very basic excel spreadsheet only to jump on this thread and find that theres so many already posted on the internet that are free..... oh well not a bad way to make a working Friday go a bit quicker.

I ended up pinching a template from the interwebs and added my own BBB formula at the bottom, so simple to follow now!

Thanks to Mickdog for the op, I can't wait to give this 5/3/1 & BBB a crack.

I use Black Iron Beast calculator and then print out. Can't go wrong.

blackironbeast.com - 5/3/1 Calculator

Completed my first week of 5/3/1 big but boring today.

Found it anything but boring, realy enjoyed it, have a good feeling about this.

Love the 5/3/1 calculator for iPhone, works great.

Will see how the second week goes, but I think I will stick with this till at least till the end of this year, see if I can hit some PB's in the next few month feeling strong:)

Sounds good Mick. It's definitely a program you need to stick with for a while since the progression is quite slow compared to others.

Sounds good Mick. It's definitely a program you need to stick with for a while since the progression is quite slow compared to others.

Yes the slow progression is what I need I think, as I generally get injured when I train for strength as ego tends to get in the way, and I feel with this I can get stronger and bigger without hurting myself as there is no ego, the program tells me what weights to lift:)

How did you find 531?

loved it, got me a 210 dead 105 bench and 150 squat by the end of it. (Nooby gains)

It was the first program that I stuck to.

Only real reason why I changed is that I was using 5/3/1 for approx 6months and wanted to change it up

I liked trying to beat your calculated 1RM PB on the last work set each time