• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Opinions on 5/3/1 boring but big?

On another note.. went to buy the beyond 5/3/1 ebook and it shows out of stock on his website? Found an average quality (but readable) pdf of it though so started reading on the way to work today - already quite interesting.

On another note.. went to buy the beyond 5/3/1 ebook and it shows out of stock on his website? Found an average quality (but readable) pdf of it though so started reading on the way to work today - already quite interesting.

Go to the main page jimwendler.com and the first blog post has a add to cart button

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

dont forget that the last work set each day you should be aiming for rep PRs every time too so its not 3x5 but 2x5, 1x5+

Not if you follow the boring but big program, even though I did 7 reps yesterday of presses, did dead lifts today and 3 x 5 did me fine as dead lifts is my weakest lift, so hoping to finally get my dead lift over 200kg, which is still weak for my size, but for some reason dead lifting and me don't mix. :confused:

nah mick, you are still meant to go for reps on the last work set before doing your BBB sets..

nah mick, you are still meant to go for reps on the last work set before doing your BBB sets..

From the man himself:

QUOTE:

The first part of the Boring But Big Challenge is that you'll continue to perform the squat, bench, press, and deadlift with the 5/3/1 sets and rep scheme. (If you're unfamiliar with the 5/3/1 program, click here to get the rundown.) The one thing that you'll change is that you will not go for any extra reps on the last set. You'll only do the required reps and then move on to the 5 sets of 10 reps.

This will do three things:

Because hypertrophy is the goal of the program, it will leave you fresher to perform the 5 sets of 10 reps and eventually allow you to do these at a higher weight.
It will at least maintain your strength levels – you're still tapping into heavy weights that will keep your body used to them.
Many lifters will get stronger when they dial back the last set. You don't always have to push to failure to make gains – this is a belief held by novices and those with limited knowledge.

I think he changed his mind, this is from the Beyond 5/3/1:
Remember that at NO time would you ever
not

go for a PR on the last set of the 5/3/1

work
sets. In other
words, if you can’t set a PR,

then perform your “5x sets
” you had best pick
another physical pursuit. At all times in life, you must expect more from yourself. This is
strength training and it is hard work.

Pretty sure he says to go for the reps every time in ed2 of the 5/3/1 book too.. I hadnt read the BBB challenge article (guessing tbats where you were quoting from)

The Challenge is different from the normal 5/3/1 template, in the challenge he is talking about ramping up the weight on the BBB each week and dropping the reps etc. if you use the normal BBB assistance template such as 5x10 @ 50% training max or 5x5 @ 80% you still go for a rep PR on the last set of each weeks 5/3/1 work sets.

The challenge is NOT 5/3/1 in its standard form, its kind of like a 12 week strength training cycle like a lot of other ones, i personally prefer the standard 5/3/1 template with BBB assistance which is only bumped up in weight when my training max has increased monthly. This kind of template can be followed for years without having to keep resetting.

Beyond 531 pretty much covers everything from the previous editions up to and including the new stuff mate.

I like it but i also can see its a book not for novices as severe program ADD would probably happen if you havent got a solid idea of what works for your body or how to stick to a program and let it work for you.

Beyond 531 pretty much covers everything from the previous editions up to and including the new stuff mate.

I like it but i also can see its a book not for novices as severe program ADD would probably happen if you havent got a solid idea of what works for your body or how to stick to a program and let it work for you.

cool thanks

Ok, so there is different version, I guess all would work.

Will go with the PR on the least set then as that's what I did on Monday anyway, and today 3x5 was enough, will see how it goes next week.

When you add weight ie 10lb for lower body and 5lb for upper body do you add the 10 lb to the weight your actual lift or to your 1MR and then work out the percentages again from the new 1MR, it's not really clear from what I have read so far. :confused:

cheers bruce will buy from there if I dont have any luck with jims site.

Mick - with regard to bumping up actual or training max I just checked the book and its training max. So if 90% of your actual max is 150lb, you use that for the first cycle and then second cycle will be 155/160 depending on the lift

Shouldnt be confusing at all, i find it to be one of the easiest methods of strength training planning out there. Its a simple program, start with 90% of your actual 1RM which gives you the TRAINING MAX and calculate the % from there, keep a record of these training maxes for each of your lifts so you can calculate from them when you need to. Each time you end the 3 week cycle add 5-10lb to your TRAINING MAX and start over again. Piece of piss.

Been pussie footing around for the last couple of month not knowing what to do, and going a bit stale with my training lacking direction.

Seen this last night, read up on it and worked out my percentages, starting this TODAY, as soon as I get home from work this arvo. :)

Will even start logging my workouts again, this has given me a new direction in my training.

Thanks for posting the link. Looking forward to starting this tonight. :)

Glad I could help. That is what I'm here for :p

cheers bruce will buy from there if I dont have any luck with jims site.

Mick - with regard to bumping up actual or training max I just checked the book and its training max. So if 90% of your actual max is 150lb, you use that for the first cycle and then second cycle will be 155/160 depending on the lift

Shouldnt be confusing at all, i find it to be one of the easiest methods of strength training planning out there. Its a simple program, start with 90% of your actual 1RM which gives you the TRAINING MAX and calculate the % from there, keep a record of these training maxes for each of your lifts so you can calculate from them when you need to. Each time you end the 3 week cycle add 5-10lb to your TRAINING MAX and start over again. Piece of piss.

Ok that makes sense, so I will just add the extra pounds to my total and then work out new percentages.

Looking forward to beating some of my PB's by the end of this year. :)