• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Finally brought a house - Bring on the home gym!

Yeah I'm just busting ya chops... When I was into cars I used to drop a shitload of coin on my gtr so I see no harm in spending coin on the things you enjoy.

in my experience most iron/rubber coated 20's and 25's aren't 450mm in diameter. I am sure they exist, they just don't come up for sale second hand around where I live.

I still reckon a set of good bumpers would be money well spent. I am lucky in that I picked up some 450 mm bumpers really cheap, a pair each of 20's and 15's.

I chuck those on to warm up and then slide on my smaller diameter plates for my heavier sets. I have a pair of ABC rubber coated 20's that are about 400mm, so sometimes even the good stuff isn't the right size.

Right...

so after 2 months traipsing around europe and the middle east not working out at all and another month going through stresses of buying a house, planning a move, getting made redundant and finding a new job! (sheez), I've just got moving in (settling on Thursday) and starting to live with my girlfriend to come :)

So I need a home gym to work off the stress (plus i'll now be 60km from my usual gym) ...

I have a 9.3m x 5.3m Garage thats all mine for the gym and access to a park out the back gate (gym also has a pretty high ceiling), Currently my gym room has the following items that are coming with me

Iron edge flat/incline bench (solid)
Globe barbell (about 25kg)
Iron master Adjustable DB's (up to about 50kg each)
Body Solid Dip bars (great)
An exercise bike (Semi commercial type one, mistake but its ok)
A range of kettlebells from 8kg to 64kg (Selling a couple, keeping most)
10x 1m sq 15mm rubber flooring from iron edge
A couple of sandbags from iron edge
A few iron edge power clubs
8 or so 50mm .5m sq rubber tiles
An iron edge mace bell
An iron edge 20kg weight vest
(a WorldFitness 30kg weight vest i want to sell)
A couple of small pylo boxes (i use for UDL's)
Fat Gripz
Misc Bands from iron edge.
Rings (not used yet as ideas for hanging didn't work out)
a range of Bulgarian bags from iron edge
15kg & 35kg dead balls from iron edge
Grippers

My thoughts as for the new items I'm going to buy are the following

1x Force USA commercial power rack (I know its overkill, i like though)
1x Force USA Commercial flat bench (30cm)
1x GymAndFitness "Troy Texas Power bar" (OR iron edge OR ABC power bar)
1x WorldFitness Pec/Delt Machine
1x Body Solid 45 degree Hyper ext
1x Body Solid Seated Calf
1x Body Solid Preacher bench (and an Ezy Bar)
1x Body Solid cam leg ext/curl
1x Dip Belt, 1x 2x4 for calves
1x Barbell Jack for convenience factor

Vaguely Considering a Body Solid Lever Squat (for standing calves, more squats once my back says no - alternative to a leg press)

I'm thinking of going cheap on cables and getting this
Cages Smith Machine, Rack Smith Machine, Cable Crossover Machine with Swivel Pulley System - World Fitness

or if i decide to splurge, I'll get this
Force USA Functional Trainer System | Gym Equipment

Also Considering a plate loaded lat pulldown & seated row as well like
Body Solid Freeweight Pro Lat Machine - GLM83 | Gym ... I might defer this a while though, its mostly for Seated rows and I can do without them a while.

A whole heap of rubber coated olympic plates from gymAndFitness (ForceUSA brand)

A cheap sled of some brand
Possibly a swiss bar and cheap trap bar from iron edge.
Some more rubber flooring
Maybe a punching bag
Decline bench

At some point in the distant future i might buy a concept 2 rower.

Any thoughts? Anyone had good/bad experiences with any of that gear?
This is intended to entirely replace my visiting of a commercial gym

Based in Melbourne if anyone has any ideas for any other shops i should visit.

I thought about a GHR but i can't seem to get the hang of it when i try them out, feel like i'm going to slip off and break something.

congrads dude,

iv recently just setup a gym at home its about 60% complete gumtree/ebay/trading post and auctions are really helpful,

jt

~Iron, Sweat, Pain~

Picked up a Startrack commercial spin bike on Gumtree to add in, with the shed ready to go and a bit of my existing gear moved over, this is what i've got to fit my home gym into

I've brought, but not yet assembled, a cheap cable crossover and I'll be pushing the button on a rack, bar & weights pretty soon.

nightfalltech-albums-gym-picture473-img-5553.jpg

I've brought, but not yet assembled, a cheap cable crossover and I'll be pushing the button on a rack, bar & weights pretty soon.

nightfalltech-albums-gym-picture473-img-5553.jpg

Wow that should make for a very nice home gym!!!

Where did you bring the cable crossover from, since you mentioned that you brought it. :p

I brought it home from the shop i bought it at :)
(FitnessAndStrength)

(El cheapo brandless crossover, but it has 2x100kg weight stacks and the sample one i tried felt decent enough for home use, and at $533, who can complain!)

Will be great to see that gym all set up.

Can't wait till I build my shed/home gym. Unfortunatly still a few years off at this stage.

That's an awesome space for a home gym haha. Wish I had something like that :(. Good luck with it all, home gyms are the best.

I'm looking to expand slightly

Items to add are

Lat tower / low row - powertec looks great but $850 plus shipping. Does anyone have experience with the Force USA and body solid glm83 plate loaded?

Seated calf, force usa would be good but I struggle to get my knees under... Body solid is a few hundred more and cyber fit is even more, and looks more space hungry... Any recommendations?

Leg press : powertec have what looks like a good roller based one. Alternatively cyber fit have a cheap linear bearing or I could splash a lot more on a muscle motion linear bearing.... Thoughts? I'll want to use this with 300-400kg

Vague ideas of an iron edge GHR as well, but i really don't think I can fit it in.

And then my gym Will be done!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

Have a talk with Graeme from littleblokefitness, hes a small business in melbourne. I bought a home gym recently and was negotiating between gymandfitness and littleblokefitness, they matched their prices but i ended up going with littleblokefitness as the service was much nicer, helpful and replies were a lot faster. I had a few bolts missing so i emailed Graeme, he sent them straight away! Highly recommend him :)

I brought my rack, plates, a couple of bars and bench from them, for the lat tower and seated calf they only sell force USA though and i'm not 100% sold on those model, but i agree their service is fantastic, best experience I've had building this gym

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

You still looking for a dedicated lat tower NFT?

The bodysolid piece from gym direct is awesome! One of the best I've ever tried.

90kg stack plus option to increase with plates.

Better than my powertec lat option on my old rack.

Yep $1k

You add plates to the stack on 2 bars that stick out from the stack (I think it can only take 10kg or so more max though).