• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Ausbb Novice Workouts First 2 months

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
Your mission , should you choose to accept it

So a bloke has never been to the gym. What workout should they use for the first couple of months, and how strong should they try to get?

I reckon a goal should be 1/2kg a week for 13 weeks that is lean mass, muscle tissue.

6.5~7kg

Last edited:
the other was about someone that has grasped the basics , this one is a newbie to the gym

Realistically for a complete beginner that is serious about getting strong and getting the most out of their training you would be mad not to recommend they read starting strength from cover to cover. There is nothing else out there that is as simple, solid and educating for someone who has never touched a barbell before.

Only thing that is shit about starting strength is power cleans... replace them with Chins or rows and you have an awesome program for any novice looking to get strong.

Ehh just jump on each machine and try them out, split leg machines up, split chest and arms and shoulders up and work one group per day. Pen and paper and your good.

Have you actually read it cover to cover? Tell me that it isnt the best basic strength training template for someone with no idea about lifting? I wish i had of discovered it instead of browsing a lot of forums that gave bullshit advice...

I know it gets a lot of hate around here but i dont give a shit, its a solid program for "someone new to lifting with no experience at all".

Im not saying its the best program out there for someone who is prepared to do their research and can sift through the bullshit first time round and get on a solid program off the bat but lets be honest.. how many noobs can actually do that when they have no idea? I know i couldnt when i started out.

Realistically for a complete beginner that is serious about getting strong and getting the most out of their training you would be mad not to recommend they read starting strength from cover to cover. There is nothing else out there that is as simple, solid and educating for someone who has never touched a barbell before.

Only thing that is shit about starting strength is power cleans... replace them with Chins or rows and you have an awesome program for any novice looking to get strong.

Starting strength is simple??

It takes about 60 pages to explain how to squat.

first things first....go straight to the supplement section.

I would say 3 to 4 full body workouts a week. Focusing on compound exercises, getting form spot on. Lifting at about 80% of 1RM. Increasing weights (2-5%) each week. Hit this for 3 months and re-asses.

I am 2 weeks in on picking up free weights for the first time in my life.

1RM - No idea when you start.

I am doing a modified version of StrongLifts5x5 and find it "easy" to introduce me to strength training.

Starting strength is simple??

It takes about 60 pages to explain how to squat.

If you think 60 pages is too long, you probably haven't thought about squatting enough.

Starting Strength is 300 pages of actually useful information and analysis of the lifts. If I'm training someone, do they need to read a textbook? Probably not. However, am I going to type out 300 odd pages of advice for some newbie lifter on the internet? Unless I'm getting paid, hell no. But, I can tell them to go read a book someone else has written and then they'll have a much better idea of what to do and why.

If you think 60 pages is too long, you probably haven't thought about squatting enough.

Starting Strength is 300 pages of actually useful information and analysis of the lifts. If I'm training someone, do they need to read a textbook? Probably not. However, am I going to type out 300 odd pages of advice for some newbie lifter on the internet? Unless I'm getting paid, hell no. But, I can tell them to go read a book someone else has written and then they'll have a much better idea of what to do and why.

Put bar on back, squat down then back up. Repeat, get stronger then add more weight.

You don't need 60 pages.

If you are a powerlifter and want to squat the most weight possible see a coach.

Reading starting strength is time you never get back.

Use Micks awesome program.

Sets of six, reps of six for six exercises. First three reps warmup with bar, 30%, 60% then three sets with working weight.

Squat, deadlift, bench press, bent over row, over head press, chins (lat pull down if cant lift body weight)

Find your work weight by doing reps of six with the bar adding weight until you can't do more than six reps. If your work weight is the bar don't warm up.

Simple!

I am 2 weeks in on picking up free weights for the first time in my life.

1RM - No idea when you start.

I am doing a modified version of StrongLifts5x5 and find it "easy" to introduce me to strength training.

I'll simplify 1RM and say if you think you could get 2 more reps out before full failure then its probably close enough to 80%