• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Ausbb Novice Workouts First 4-6 months

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
Your mission should you decide to accept it , is to make a novice workout for at least the first 4-6 months of training.

The novice has spent the first few months learning the basic lift and form and has a good gym habit

for the first 4-6months what workout should the novice use to start the muscle building process? This workout can be something you created, or a workout crated by someone else.

I think it's pretty simple

Full body, 3 times a week
1 exercise per body part
3 sets for each exercise, pyramiding up in weight
30-60 sec. rest between sets

Standing overhead press
Incline bench press
Chins/pullups
Squat
Some form of deadlift
Barbell curls
Dips

This would be my plan for a beginner; During the first week of training, a new trainee should perform the following basic program of exercises—every day for five consecutive days:

1. Standing press with barbell 1 set x 10
2. Full squats 1 set x 20
3. Regular grip chinning on bar 1 set x 5
4. Bench presses with barbell 1 set x 10
5. Regular grip curls with barbell 1 set x 10
6. Stiff-legged deadlifts 1 set x 15
7. Calf raises on one leg 1 set x 10
8. Sit-ups with bent knees 1 set x 10

The actual resistance employed should be light enough to permit the designated number of repetitions without exhausting the working muscles—and the first week of training should be conducted under careful supervision, in order to assure that the trainee is performing the exercises properly and is not working to a point of exhaustion.

During the second week of break-in training, the same basic exercises should be employed in the same order—but only three workouts should be performed, on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, or Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday.

And two sets of each exercise should be performed during each workout; the first set of each exercise should be performed exactly as that exercise was performed during the first week of training—with the resistance previously used—and the second set should employ approximately ten percent (10%) more resistance, and should be carried almost to the point of momentary exhaustion.

The actual number of repetitions performed during second sets of the exercises will depend upon the recovery ability of the individual trainee—but in most cases it will be found that the subject will be able to perform about as many repetitions during second sets as he performed during first sets.

With badly overweight people, as many as four sets of ten basic exercises should be practiced—as soon as they are able to perform that number of sets without becoming totally exhausted; repetitions should be on the high side, from fifteen to twenty in each set—and as many as fifty in each set of squats.

I think it's pretty simple

Full body, 3 times a week
1 exercise per body part
3 sets for each exercise, pyramiding up in weight
30-60 sec. rest between sets

Standing overhead press
Incline bench press
Chins/pullups
Squat
Some form of deadlift
Barbell curls
Dips

Like.

4-6 months.. if they started correctly and have done something like starting strength they would be moving some decent weight by now and the best progression fromhere would be madcow 5x5 or something that involves linear progression still but allows better recovery than starting strength or any full body routine thats adding weight daily and not weekly.

I'm at about this stage now, been doing that starting routine for a few months (squats, deads, rows, benches, pressing, curling) just about ready for some isolation routines

What are your lifts on the big 4? Can probably run that programming your doing a lot longer yet, isolation isnt very effective for novice-intermediete lifters mate...

Says who?

Your not going to get a big bench by doing lots of flyes and tricep extensions... Your also not going to get a big squat doing leg curls and calf raises...

Squat, Press, Pull up, Row and Deadlift until your moving at least 1.5x BW bench, 2x BW squat and 2.5x BW Deadlift if you cant do them numbers isolation isnt going to get you there, doing more work on the big lifts will.

If this is wrong show me someone who got STRONG using machines and isolation work in place of compound assistance work that emphasizes on the major lifts?

You need to find middle ground?

I'm getting tired arguing the point these days from this day forth I'm going to start asking questions.

Your not going to get a big bench by doing lots of flyes and tricep extensions... Your also not going to get a big squat doing leg curls and calf raises...

Squat, Press, Pull up, Row and Deadlift until your moving at least 1.5x BW bench, 2x BW squat and 2.5x BW Deadlift if you cant do them numbers isolation isnt going to get you there, doing more work on the big lifts will.

If this is wrong show me someone who got STRONG using machines and isolation work in place of compound assistance work that emphasizes on the major lifts?

Both have their place, just choose wisely.
Regarding those numbers, who says that's the numbers you should lift, they are just arbitrary numbers pulled out of thin air.

Fair call mate, I didnt pull them out of thin air I just consider those numbers the point at which a lifter can honestly call themselves no longer a novice and by that point would know their own strengths and weaknesses fairly well and have a good understanding of nutrition and recovery also. Those numbers cant be fluked they have to be worked for rather than saying a 100kg bench, 140kg squat and 180kg deadlift. By those standards a 6`2 100kg bloke is all of a sudden intermediate lifter but if you compare to a 5`6 70kg bloke the smaller guy is probably bordering on advanced with those KG numbers. Multiplication of BW is a much better indicator IMO.

Whether you're a novice or been lifting for many years you do it to get stronger and more muscular by adding a little bit more weight to the bar as often as you can, the weight we use is just a tool not the goal.

The trouble with using BW multipliers is that they don't work so well for heavier guys... At 120kg for example, sure you might be a fat bastard but I don't think 180kg bench/240kg squat/300kg dead is required before you can no longer call yourself a beginner ;)