• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

What is the technical flaw in your squat you are working on improving?

kaz

iLift
pugu6uby.jpg

I need to do some serious stretching for my arms and shoulders so i can get a closer grip on the bar :/

I need to do some serious stretching for my arms and shoulders so i can get a closer grip on the bar :/

Same prob sometimes... in-flexible as anything.

My biggest problem - not enough weight!

That third position looks terrible :eek:

What are the pros and cons of low versus high bar positioning?

At a guess i would say more back muscles working to support the weight as it's not 'resting' as much on the shoulders/upper back? should be a more intense workout.. i dunno lol

What are the pros and cons of low versus high bar positioning?

Changes how bent over you are and how you're supporting the bar. Also allows you to put more hamstring/ass/hip into it being more bent over. Notably pretty much every squat record was set with a low bar squat.

That said, a lot of this is due to stance width and other things. You can do a powerlifting style squat with the bar in the high bar position easily enough if you know how. Bar position is important, but not nearly the only thing that goes into squatting.

Basically, done properly, a low bar squat (which really means more than just the bar position) works the "posterior chain" more and allows you to use more weight. It does however require a decent amount of shoulder flexibilty to pull off properly and is somewhat technical.

Last edited:
My problem is staying upright in the hole, so have started bashing the SSB and front squats.

on a serious note, I believe my biggest issues now are remaining tight throughout and trying not to lead out of the hole with my hips when fatigued - caught myself almost doing a good morning lasg couple reps on saturday

I found ny old style was more good morning than squat. I took my squat back to zero and restarted after falling forward with 100kgs.

Good idea [MENTION=9034]kaz[/MENTION];
With the squat being primarily a leg exercise a person with short torso/long leg will naturally increase the angle at the hip.

Using the front squat will biuld leg and hip strength.
Which will inturn mean less involvement of the lower back.

Other good options are leg presses.

needing to improve stability when below parallel, I tend to tip forward. Having a closer stance has seemed to help.

on a serious note, I believe my biggest issues now are remaining tight throughout and trying not to lead out of the hole with my hips when fatigued - caught myself almost doing a good morning lasg couple reps on saturday

This. Keeping upper back tight, so that the weight doesn't transfer from the heels to the front of the feet.

This. Keeping upper back tight, so that the weight doesn't transfer from the heels to the front of the feet.

Yup. Am currently dealing with referred pain in the bicep, stemming from anything that squashes the scapula. Squats being the main culprit.

So I'm going to be working on upper back tightness too.