• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

What is the technical flaw in your squat you are working on improving?

My problem is staying upright in the hole, so have started bashing the SSB and front squats.

Kaz that is because you're built like me. You have long femurs and a short torso. You're not leaning over too much. The bar is remaining over the middle of your foot. SSB squats are not going to make your torso magically longer, they will just teach you to bring your knees further forwards and you'll be squatting onto your weakest levers instead of focusing on hip extension where you're strongest.

You ever see Steve Goggins squat?

Kaz that is because you're built like me. You have long femurs and a short torso. You're not leaning over too much. The bar is remaining over the middle of your foot. SSB squats are not going to make your torso magically longer, they will just teach you to bring your knees further forwards and you'll be squatting onto your weakest levers instead of focusing on hip extension where you're strongest.

You ever see Steve Goggins squat?

No but will google him. Cheers.

i have the same problem and tend to come forward in the hole. i just concentrate on trying to keep slightly more upright. i am backing my squats up with front squats now to try to coach myself to keep upright a bit more

Most people think that tilting forwards is a back weakness, "i cant stay upright, better do core work"
Was talking to port about this, he said that dan green found that this was actually a leg weakness, legs cant push the weight, and so you tip forwards.

Makes sense, fail a squat raw at a weight because you tip forwards, bang on knee wraps and you can suddenly squat 20kgs more because you get more leg drive, back/core weakness? I think not.

Bring front squats into your training if you tip over when the weight gets heavy, the positioning forces you to stay upright and requires more leg drive than a back squat

Last edited:
Most people think that tilting forwards is a back weakness, "i cant stay upright, better do core work"
Was talking to port about this, he said that dan green found that this was actually a leg weakness, legs cant push the weight, and so you tip forwards.

Makes sense, fail a squat raw at a weight because you tip forwards, bang on knee wraps and you can suddenly squat 20kgs more because you get more leg drive, back/core weakness? I think not.

Bring front squats into your training if you tip over when the weight gets heavy, the positioning forces you to stay upright and requires more leg drive than a back squat

I have always thought this. If your back is weak why would you try gm the weight up.

Leaning forwards takes the weight of the weaker legs and puts it on the back.

Agree with Callan and Bazza.

I've also soon GMs recommended to solve this problem. Why would you do an exercise that trains precisely the movement that your body (incorrectly) wants to do when squatting?

I do one of the worst squat-mornings you'll see when I do 1RM weights. My front squat is something like 60% of my back squat. I think that tells you where my weakness is. Safe to say why I'm now working on lots of front squats.

Precisely why it good reason to work your SLDL after squatting and press before and not after dead lifting.

The deadlift is rugged on the back

I agree with this
Kaz doesn't do this if you look at her squat tho, she has decent technique. She just isn't upright. If your hips are shooting back as you ascend then there is a "problem". Plus front squats and big legs are cool anyway

That diagram is so terribly misleading.

One of the first things I tell new lifters is that their knees shouldn't operate on one plane (like in the picture).

As for what I'm working on, speed and explosiveness.

That diagram is so terribly misleading.

One of the first things I tell new lifters is that their knees shouldn't operate on one plane (like in the picture).

As for what I'm working on, speed and explosiveness.

not sure what you mean tombro.

"one plane (like in the picture)."

Do you mean the knee doesn't remain in static position?

This is something I sketched a while back illustrating the drama a short torso'd man can have.
But interestingly the short torso will be stronger.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378454317.881946.jpg

Think how this bloke would look
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378454469.850698.jpg

I've been doing high bar weightlifting squats and front squats.

It's hard without a raised heel or a plate under each shoe to get down in the hole without lower back flexion though. Anyone else find this?

Agree with doing a 'good morning' when you're coming up being due to weak legs. I had this problem for a while.

It's not weak legs, it's weak quads. Maybe. The muscles of the back do not extend the hips. Can also just be a form issue and you're letting yourself tip forwards.

The angle of your torso is frankly irrelevant when you're talking about injury prevention. It's whether or not your low back is rounding that matters.

I have no issue staying upright but definitely have to work on building up quad strength.

Love front squats and am going to work them back into my program as of next week (finally got the ok to squat again).
[MENTION=3627]Silverback[/MENTION]; I always thought I had the world's most invisible quads. you have proven me wrong ... that guy :eek: