• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Wife want's to workout with me

iamwilso

I started on the PTC beginners programme a little over a month ago after 9 month's of doing basically nothing with badly broken collarbone, im feeling pretty good and im happy with my progress so far.
My wife has said she has noticed a difference in me, nothing physical more mental i think happier, more energy, etc.
Now she is keen to start working out herself. Is the PTC beginner programme ok for her to start on or should I be looking for something else???
She also want's to workout at the same time, well one workout and the other help or encourage whatever, maybe time together who know's. This i am unsure of, we get along great and I think it could be good. Anyone have any thoughts/experiences with working out with your wife/girlfriend?

The program itself is ideal.

As far as training with your significant other goes... I guess it depends on how you see the time at the gym, if its "you" time, that could be problematic, if not, dat squat ass.

I too do that program and i also my changes were noticed. I would put your missus onto some cardio stuff first to tone muscle up before doing it though?

Me and my missus use to go together and we both loved it

Forgot to mention i purchased a power rack so my workout is from home, so it's hardly ever "me time" anyway.

I would put your missus onto some cardio stuff first to tone muscle up before doing it though?

Thats straight up retarded.

Any lifting program can be fine by any sex.

The only problem can be your other halfs level of determination being detrimental to your own or cutting into your own "spiritual workout time". For example an ex used to just give up when things got hard, which in turn threw off my mentality to my workouts. You need to set groundrules, leave all problems and bagage at the door and hit both your daily targets.

Having a power rack at home is the best bet. You can push each other with the weights, and smash out some horizontal cardio later. All kinds of gainz.

I too do that program and i also my changes were noticed. I would put your missus onto some cardio stuff first to tone muscle up before doing it though?

You must be the Editor of Women Weekly with that sort of advice?

Be realistic a bit here, has his missus ever gone to the gym before? when did she last exercise? Don't you think she'd be intimidated by the benches bars and plates and wonder 'wtf am i doing here?'

getting on a treadmill or bike and pushing a few buttons MIGHT be a bit easier to start off.

And did you see my ? at the end or what?

I put my missus on to a program similar to the beginner programs. Don't have any issues with her being down in my shed at the same time because she actually puts effort in.

I've got a couch near the power rack to relax on while she squats :D

I started to get my wife into training at home to, we have a power rack, barbell etc. The problem was the difference in the amount of weight we used. My wife is a petite 54kg woman who barely uses any weight on the bar. Taking my weights off and putting them back on again was annoying so we're doing it different days now. I train by myself and then train her the other days.

What does that even mean?? Makes no sense at all.

Why would you get her doing 'cardio stuff' if she is interested in doing weights??
:confused:

W-w-w-w-what does she want to get out of training?

- Spend more time with hubby? Then do the exact same program as each other (unless you need to modify exercises to make them more accessible to her/easier to learn) and scale the loads to her abilities. Not surprisingly, people tend to bond more by doing the same thing as each other than by being involved in unrelated activities simultaneously.
- Get stronger? PTC = good for that.
- Improve physique? Depends on what she wants to look like, but PTC is probably good for that, too.
- Attain sense of achievement/accomplishment to boost sense of independence and confidence? Any program that picks any physical goal and results in her achieving said goal will do that, especially if that goal is not body-image related (body image goals can go either way with confidence; that's a longer psych discussion) -- could relate to any area of fitness: strength, speed, endurance, power, skill, flexibility, stamina....

Your wife is just concerned your going to get in shape and meet a more attractive woman in the gym. Thus her insecurity planted the idea of keeping an eye on you by partaking in your new hobby.

[MENTION=7877]RyanF[/MENTION];

Huh?

iamwilson said his wife wants to start working out, didn't say what she wants to get out of working out. Without knowing what she wants out of it, there's no definite answer. I'm just suggesting a few possibilities of what outcomes she might be after, and what might be a reasonable course of action given those desired results.

And if that doesn't answer your question, maybe be more specific than "huh?" so that I can respond directly.

iamwilson said his wife wants to start working out, didn't say what she wants to get out of working out. Without knowing what she wants out of it, there's no definite answer. I'm just suggesting a few possibilities of what outcomes she might be after, and what might be a reasonable course of action given those desired results.

And if that doesn't answer your question, maybe be more specific than "huh?" so that I can respond directly.

Here's the way I see it Ryan, since they are going to be working out together it would make sense for them to do the same type of workout, nothing worse than a training partner who's either at a different level or who doesn't do the same type of workout, in fact it wouldn't work.

Sorry about the "huh"
What I meant was I didn't understand what you were trying to say.

Here's the way I see it Ryan, since they are going to be working out together it would make sense for them to do the same type of workout, nothing worse than a training partner who's either at a different level or who doesn't do the same type of workout, in fact it wouldn't work.

Sorry about the "huh"

Wah?

Sorry about the "huh"

Well then, we're in agreement. That's basically what I was trying to say with my first point, although I was thinking more from a husband:wife POV than training partner POV.