• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Food Budget

Riddles

I need to become a bit more careful with my budget and one of the things on the list is food and money spent on food. I've read through the recent tips on saving on food thread. But my question is what is a reasonable food budget per week for a person who lifts weights while keeping good quality food?

By good quality food I'm mostly looking at things like chicken breast, bulk steak, lean mince, rice, fruit, vegetables, milk and some flavourings such as sauce, spices and marinades. And leave some aside for an occasional order of protein powder and a piece of cake. Any other food suggestions are welcome here as well.

I've had a quick look at food budgets but most seem to recommend a lazy/poor/spendallmoneyonbooze student diet of noodles and rice and I want my protein dammit.

So what would be a reasonable budget for a female cooking for herself?

I feed 3 adults for $300 & eatlike a king. I don't skimp on food and rarely eat out. The other two eat high carb, I eatimate all my meals through the weak 2500-300 cal to cost 120-150. I eat good quality meat though

Really it would depend on what you want to spend and the quality of food I could probably eat for half the cost I do but personally I'd rather economise in other areas and eat well plus I minimise eating out if good food is at hand.

Stews, casseroles, goulash are good economical nutritious meals with lots of protein and veggies.

I would say me and missus with a 4yo wiukd gi through roughly $150 a week on food, we don't eat out but would prefer better quality foods at home

check the markets or ALDI for sauces, rices, pasta's etc. Tasty and budget friendly. Go have a chat to your local butcher about meats or find a meat wholesaler in your area.
It takes a bit of work, but will save you $$$

Can't give you a number but eating out is the biggest user of food budget.

Tips to save money on food.

Buy in bulk.

Get a slow cooker

Buy what you can at Aldi and find those factory or seconds outlet shops.

Plan out meals and work out roughly what each one costs and eat more of the cheaper ones.

Stick with the basics. Pasta, rice, potatoes basic veggies and meat can all be pretty cheap. It's the other fancy shit that adds up.

Stock up on specials at the supermarkets.

One needs only to download a season of Survivor to see the benefits a rice-only diet can have on the physiques of specimens who commence the season with significant musculature.

Currently I'm eating 1 cup of oats, 1 cup blueberries, 1 cup skim milk (longlife), 2 eggs for breakfast

1 chicken breast (hand size) 1 cup of brown rice, 2 cups frozen broccoli for lunch.

1 blade steak (hand size), 2 potatoes, large salad (1 tomato, 3 lettuce leaves, half cucumber, quarter red onion.

Add what you like for taste if you like, I use nothing. Allow a couple of cheat meals on the weekend, start looking awesome in no time. The best part of this is that it's easy to follow, cheap and you can simply reduce portions with a cup size

Currently I'm eating 1 cup of oats, 1 cup blueberries, 1 cup skim milk (longlife), 2 eggs for breakfast

1 chicken breast (hand size) 1 cup of brown rice, 2 cups frozen broccoli for lunch.

1 blade steak (hand size), 2 potatoes, large salad (1 tomato, 3 lettuce leaves, half cucumber, quarter red onion.

Add what you like for taste if you like, I use nothing. Allow a couple of cheat meals on the weekend, start looking awesome in no time. The best part of this is that it's easy to follow, cheap and you can simply reduce portions with a cup size

If you can do that then kudos to you, But i would neck myself after 1 week eating like that.

For me personally, as a lifestyle change i eat a whole range of foods and rarely eat the same thing more then twice a week, Unless its staples like eggs ect, But then again there are hundreds of ways to cook eggs

I like not being stuck to just oats and boiled eggs

Eg - This Mornings carb source was polenta. topped off with marinated goats feta and 2 over easy eggs.

Always good to mix it up so its never boring, Though i must admit its been MUCH harder with such a tight budget lately.

Out of curiosity have you tracked the Cals and protein content of that plan? At first glance it seems to be a bit low in total Cals and protein, especially a guy who trains weighty stuff. I did see Sydking's thread before creating this one. But this one was more of a "how much money do I need to put aside for good food while being fiscally responsible?". The tips are still handy.

Despite that it's the sort of simple plan I would follow. Except with the addition of bacon. Must have bacon. And chocolate.

I rekon you could get by on $60 a week with a real nice diet

My biggest problem is i like to eat at out on atleat twice on weekends, That has stopped as of last week

I was being a tight arse and not buying as much meat as usual, but then spending $100 on the weekend eating out

Now that $100 will go to shitlaods of meat

Funny how we can justify some things but not others huh

Go buy what you need for a week, see how much it all costs, See how much you use/throw out and then ajust up or down

Its usually cheaper to cook for 2 then it is for one in some cases

Good luck :)

Out of curiosity have you tracked the Cals and protein content of that plan? At first glance it seems to be a bit low in total Cals and protein, especially a guy who trains weighty stuff. I did see Sydking's thread before creating this one. But this one was more of a "how much money do I need to put aside for good food while being fiscally responsible?". The tips are still handy.

Despite that it's the sort of simple plan I would follow. Except with the addition of bacon. Must have bacon. And chocolate.

No. I couldn't be bothered looking too far into it