• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

How many train at home?

MahhBack

Im setting up a home gym at the moment I've already got a Celsius c360 deluxe bench with preacher lat pull-down and leg attachments, I bought a power rack off ebay just waiting on it now, I've got dumbells a 7ft barbell and about 90kg weight, anyway for those of you that do lift at home what is your setup like? Am I forgetting anything? All I can think of that I will be getting is an incline decline bench.

[MENTION=16356]MahhBack[/MENTION]; dont go too technical on equipment. Just get into the habit of consistent training at home. Its not for everyone. I think I partially yrained at home fir a year before deciding on investing more equipment. I started with some squats stands and a cheap bench, oly bar and 100kgs of plates.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 4

I thought it was one of [MENTION=7188]The Hamburgler[/MENTION]; 's cryptic posts.
Was just me having a blonde moment....

....again.

rather than stating your blonde moments, maybe tell us when you arnt having one ;) hahahaha

i dont train at home often, once a week, had it mainly as a backup incase i couldnt make it to the gym, then my mates got into training and mooch off my gear hahaha

I train at home, though not very extensively at the moment due to the fun of injury.

I moved house away from my okay but pretty sparse gym, and finally got around to buying my own gear. Currently have a Pendlay bearing bar, Pendlay black elite bumpers, and the Pendlay coloured change plates.

Using a Muscle Motion squat stand/rack which is very well built apart from the shoddy J cups. Been meaning to hammer some plastic pipe over it or something. Vaguely considering sawing the top off and welding my own one on.

I've also been meaning to build a proper platform but I'm lazy so I've just been dropping onto a few layers of foam and rubber.

thanks, 4 x 20 kg plates it is maybe 2 and 2 x 15kg's depending on budget.

Aim for 4 x 20kgs. 15's have their place but eventually fall by the way side.
I only bought 15's because I was working around the 90kg mark. I only have 130kgs plates but aboout to invest in another set of 20's.

Aim for 4 x 20kgs. 15's have their place but eventually fall by the way side.
I only bought 15's because I was working around the 90kg mark. I only have 130kgs plates but aboout to invest in another set of 20's.

The place for 15s is back at the shop.

What is needed.
Heaps of 20kg plates
2 x 10s
2 x 5s
2 x 2.5s
2 x 1.25s

Can't go wrong. Just keep adding 20s as you get stronger and don't bother with bumpers.

Home gymmer here too, I find I go harder in my own gym than anywhere else, I have a power rack which I feel comfortable pushing to failure in if need be.
I have 10 x 20kg's (need more) and what bazza said- pairs of 10's, 5's etc...

Bench, 30cm wide, 400kg+ rating
Half rack or power cage, rated to a lot of kgs
Bar - cyberfit (cheap) or abc (good, but $500)
Weights - what Bazza said. 90kg will run out fast for deads but still be ok for other stuff for a while. You want 150kg+ IMO. 200kg better.
Training - squats and deads, get this from an oly or powerlifting gym so you know what you're doing at home.
Couple of adjustable spinlock dumbells + some cheap weights.

That's all I really use. My favourite luxury items are my calibrated plates (normals can be out by a bit sometimes) and my abc bar, in that order.

Last edited:
yeh i have a rack, bought some olympic rings, a weights vest, some attachments made for chins, step ups etc. Plus I have a bar and buy QUALITY 2nd hand plates that i can leave outside. As long as you can think outside the square & take a little time working out different sessions, any money you spend will save you gym fee's in the future. I would never train in a public gym again after sorting out my little muscle factory at home!