• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Ow My Knees

I'm definitely no doctor or physician so take with a grain of salt

you may be doing some of these things already but just to cover some of the preventative bases before doing any sort of knee work;

Diet
fish oil will help, however if possible try natural foods like salmon, avocado etc which have good fatty oils which will also have a more efficient absorption rate - also try and cut down starchy foods like processed wheat/flour as they can promote inflammation in some cases (not all)

some articles (non-academic so read with a grain of salt)
9 Foods that Cause Inflammation and 9 Ways to Fight itKimberly Snyder

When food causes you pain - CNN.com

Warm up
You are probably already doing this but it is imperative to warm up/down the joints before and after a session. A foam roller is also a great tool to help you roll out your knees.
Excercising (lightly) your knees regularly may also aid in overcoming some of the strains in your knee as well as keeping them in shape for your lifting sessions, things like simply walking can promote good joint health

Equipment
When lifting you want to make sure you have the right gear to ensure correct movement as well as that the weight is falling in the right areas. Rehband make one of the best knee sleeves, i have a pair myself they do wonders in compression and heat retainment. they are about $110 for a pair (you need to select 2 units as they come in singles) but they are worth every penny if you are going to be lifting for a while

Rehband knee sleeves (cheapest place i found these were from the UK)
https://www.strengthshop.co.uk/slee...leeves/rehband-old-style-7mm-knee-sleeve.html

Also grab a pair of lifting shoes, which ever tickles your fancy, Nike, Adidas and Reebok are all big brands which sell these, i find the Nikes to be the stiffest and most rigid ensuring the weight of your squats is going to the right places

the Nikes are available from an aussie vendor here;

Nike Romaleos 2 - Iron Edge

hope this helps, i believe diet plays the biggest role and any sort of joint pain so try and see if you can improve on any areas there first and then move on to a few other solutions that may help - also plenty or rest and recovery is in order to get your knee back to 100% so don't stinge there or you could risk prolonged damage

again, i'm no doctor so do your research as well as consult your doc in regards to getting your knee back to 100%

all the best,
Dan

Thanks so much, I appreciate you taking the time to put all that up!

I did body building years ago and i also had a sharp pain in my knee. It was either sharp pain or no pain at all it was really weird :/

Like you it only happened when i was either squatting or using the leg press machine. My knees would bend to a point and there would be no pain... an inch lower though? fkn hurt bad. Straighten it? Gone completely.

I think i just took it easy for a while and it eventually went away and has never returned.

I did body building years ago and i also had a sharp pain in my knee. It was either sharp pain or no pain at all it was really weird :/

Like you it only happened when i was either squatting or using the leg press machine. My knees would bend to a point and there would be no pain... an inch lower though? fkn hurt bad. Straighten it? Gone completely.

I think i just took it easy for a while and it eventually went away and has never returned.

That would work for me too lol......if it just went away

Yea, I have dodgy knees too. Dislocated my knee a few times which certainly doesn't help, but the squats have helped more than hurt TBH.

They are kinda getting better now, so i think it was just my knees going, "WHAT ARE YOU DOING!!!!" i was training alone for so long, that probably when i got my trainer, I was doing things a lot differently lol. Still getting a little bit of pain but not like what it was, fingers crossed it will go away entirely. Guess it was a case of suck it up after all hahaha!

I had knee pain from squats, basically my arches in my feet would collapse under heavy load which led to my knees being in an unstable position throughout the lift. I bought Nike romaleo 2 lifting shoes over a year ago and I haven't had the pain since. Also used a liniment called Equi-Block DT - its a veterinary horse product but works wonders on sore joints pre workout..

had a similar issue a few weeks ago and found it was cause from no working up correctly, which in turn has lead to me squatting 20-30kg heavier

Since I first started with my new trainer a few weeks ago, I have been getting niggling pain in my knees. I have traced this back to increased levels of squatting!!!

Its a weird ache that only happens when I move, kind of a sharpish pain on occasions but by no means constantly overly painful, its more of a dull ache when I move?

I had it for the first time after my last session where i did a LOT of squats, that was the first time I have ever had pain in my knees.

Yesterday was the second time it happened, after doing barbell squats etc, and putting in full effort. Again the key was lots of squatting.

I cant take glucosamine because I am pre diabetic.

Any tips for me people? I dont want to ruin my knees and would like to take care of this while its still something new and maybe fixable. Is there something else I can take, maybe fish oil which willbe of benefit?

Apparently my tecnique is ok and I am careful to use slow controlled movements.

Even I was struggling with the same thing. I went a physiotherapist and according to him this kind of pain occurs to the people who normally gets involved in lots of squatting activities. He also suggested me to wear a pair of jumper's knee while doing any sort of work out because compression prevents the build up of fluid in the knee joint, these fluids causes inflammation and may also lead to infections, making the affected joint tender to the touch. When using a compression band ensure that it is not too tight as this will affect circulation in the knee and only worsen the pain. Kneading for ice and hot water bags also helps in reducing swelling.

If you keep experiencing this pain please go to a physio; I made the mistake of trying to self diagnose and wasted so much time that I could have been running during.

Roll your IT bands using a foam roller.

self_myofascial_release_itband.gif

Perform 50 lying side bent leg raises on each side every morning.

1203-side-leg-raise.jpg

Do a glute stretch for 30 seconds.

images