• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Ow My Knees

HRG

Since I first started with my new trainer a few weeks ago, I have been getting niggling pain in my knees. I have traced this back to increased levels of squatting!!!

Its a weird ache that only happens when I move, kind of a sharpish pain on occasions but by no means constantly overly painful, its more of a dull ache when I move?

I had it for the first time after my last session where i did a LOT of squats, that was the first time I have ever had pain in my knees.

Yesterday was the second time it happened, after doing barbell squats etc, and putting in full effort. Again the key was lots of squatting.

I cant take glucosamine because I am pre diabetic.

Any tips for me people? I dont want to ruin my knees and would like to take care of this while its still something new and maybe fixable. Is there something else I can take, maybe fish oil which willbe of benefit?

Apparently my tecnique is ok and I am careful to use slow controlled movements.

It goes away after a couple of days and it doesn't come back unless I specifically am doing squats or lunges, then I have to go trhough the cycle again of a few days of pain then it goes away until next time.

It reads to me like you are doing something wrong.

Ask your new trainer to video you (front and side) and post it here, we'll sort it out.

I have a lot of knee pain at the moment, only in the left knee, definitely from squatting.
I saw a vid on youtube which suggested a tight IT band is a common cause so I've started stretching that with a foam roller. It is a very painful stretch! So far no reduction in knee pain though.

Once you start losing weight, that knee pain will subside. Also, you haven't been squatting for long, so your body is still getting used to the movement. It will pass.
Fish oil will help, but its not an instant pain reliever, maybe try a couple of nurofen after each workout

It's life, just accept it. Pretty much everyone is going to have knee and or back pain at some point. That's what pain killers are for. It will probably go away on its own.

Mine started the other day and I decided just to push through it now it's worse....

Here's the vid I was talking about. This may not be your problem at all but I've read about others here stretching their IT band.
How to fix knee pain - YouTube

When you are squatting I believe the cue you need to use is to make sure your knee is travelling in the same way your foot is pointing - so the knee cap tracks properly. I assume you are doing this. If not, this could be the cause of your issues.

Keep in mind I'm a beginner like you, especially as far as squatting goes.

You guys are effin awesome!!! I like all those replies, even Bazzas cause im all for "suck it up princess and stop moaning' hahahahah

Im gonna do all of the above, so I will post a video of me eating nurofen while stretching painfully, watching you tube with white arrows taped to my knees to ensure they are directionally correct.

In the end of the video I will state "These are the things you can do if you are a whiney loser, otherwise, you can just suck it up and flex harder and be tougher"

:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

In all seriousness, thank you all. I am constantly surprised at how helpful everyone is here because generally people on forums just want to be c**ts. LOL

I'll let people know how I go with all the different remedies, cheers guys, thanks again!

Mine started the other day and I decided just to push through it now it's worse....

Here's the vid I was talking about. This may not be your problem at all but I've read about others here stretching their IT band.
How to fix knee pain - YouTube

When you are squatting I believe the cue you need to use is to make sure your knee is travelling in the same way your foot is pointing - so the knee cap tracks properly. I assume you are doing this. If not, this could be the cause of your issues.

Keep in mind I'm a beginner like you, especially as far as squatting goes.

This is great, thanks for posting it up!!

Yeah just keep in mind this is just what I'm trying. I'm no expert.

I'm taking stabs in the dark, trying to find something that works for me.

Yeah just keep in mind this is just what I'm trying. I'm no expert.

I'm taking stabs in the dark, trying to find something that works for me.

Sweet, Ill stab things in the dark too and see how we go........lol

You guys are effin awesome!!! I like all those replies, even Bazzas cause im all for "suck it up princess and stop moaning' hahahahah

In all seriousness, thank you all. I am constantly surprised at how helpful everyone is here because generally people on forums just want to be c**ts. LOL

I'll let people know how I go with all the different remedies, cheers guys, thanks again!

Definitely a great bunch of people on this forum.

To me it sounds like your trainer doesn't know how to do squats, so find one who does. If you have knee pain he should be able to sort you out. I've seen too many clueless PTs who say their trainees form is good enough and it was painfully atrocious...

So find someone who has a clue...

I have only been to my Trainer Twice :) Wednesday was the first night I have seen him and then had a bit of soreness later.

I thought I would ask here also, because I am not the type of person to just take what one person says....and treats it as gospel. I also haven't had a PT session since then....

When I do tell him, and if his reply is "duh, i just lift stuff......me not know that!"

Then I may reconsider my PT, until then, I will continue to gather advice :D

I'm definitely no doctor or physician so take with a grain of salt

you may be doing some of these things already but just to cover some of the preventative bases before doing any sort of knee work;

Diet
fish oil will help, however if possible try natural foods like salmon, avocado etc which have good fatty oils which will also have a more efficient absorption rate - also try and cut down starchy foods like processed wheat/flour as they can promote inflammation in some cases (not all)

some articles (non-academic so read with a grain of salt)
9 Foods that Cause Inflammation and 9 Ways to Fight itKimberly Snyder

When food causes you pain - CNN.com

Warm up
You are probably already doing this but it is imperative to warm up/down the joints before and after a session. A foam roller is also a great tool to help you roll out your knees.
Excercising (lightly) your knees regularly may also aid in overcoming some of the strains in your knee as well as keeping them in shape for your lifting sessions, things like simply walking can promote good joint health

Equipment
When lifting you want to make sure you have the right gear to ensure correct movement as well as that the weight is falling in the right areas. Rehband make one of the best knee sleeves, i have a pair myself they do wonders in compression and heat retainment. they are about $110 for a pair (you need to select 2 units as they come in singles) but they are worth every penny if you are going to be lifting for a while

Rehband knee sleeves (cheapest place i found these were from the UK)
https://www.strengthshop.co.uk/slee...leeves/rehband-old-style-7mm-knee-sleeve.html

Also grab a pair of lifting shoes, which ever tickles your fancy, Nike, Adidas and Reebok are all big brands which sell these, i find the Nikes to be the stiffest and most rigid ensuring the weight of your squats is going to the right places

the Nikes are available from an aussie vendor here;

Nike Romaleos 2 - Iron Edge

hope this helps, i believe diet plays the biggest role and any sort of joint pain so try and see if you can improve on any areas there first and then move on to a few other solutions that may help - also plenty or rest and recovery is in order to get your knee back to 100% so don't stinge there or you could risk prolonged damage

again, i'm no doctor so do your research as well as consult your doc in regards to getting your knee back to 100%

all the best,
Dan

Last edited:
I have a lot of knee pain at the moment, only in the left knee, definitely from squatting.
I saw a vid on youtube which suggested a tight IT band is a common cause so I've started stretching that with a foam roller. It is a very painful stretch! So far no reduction in knee pain though.

How painful?

Sounds like you have identified the underlying issue???

What are your quads hammies and calves like on a foam roller???

I would be hoping for a vid...and I know this is a silly question but how can you be sure your doing them right? A few more sets of eyes from everyone here should help.

Most people who complain to me about knee pain from squatting, are shooting their knees forward doing partial squats..arse back using your glutes/hammies should take pressure off the knee...

How painful?

Sounds like you have identified the underlying issue???

What are your quads hammies and calves like on a foam roller???

Might be a form issue with me as well... At the gym they have me doing true ATG olympic squats. Seems to pressure the knee more. But the trainer said my form was fine.

I'll try rolling out the calves hammies and quads too.. Fckn thing still hurts.

Might be a form issue with me as well... At the gym they have me doing true ATG olympic squats. Seems to pressure the knee more. But the trainer said my form was fine.

I'll try rolling out the calves hammies and quads too.. Fckn thing still hurts.

Got to find the source of the issue....

Get on the foam roller and explore around to see if you can find any problem areas...

When you find problem area camp on that bitch with a cricket ball or tennis ball... Then roll that bitch out... Rinse and repeat..