• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

:( Rib injury coming out of the hole on squats

uppon2

Hello everyone,

Over the last 3 weeks I have been testing my 1RM for the big 3. I have been lifting for 4 months and decided it was time to test my strength and form.

DEADLIFT was on week 1 and I managed to lift up 160kg x 3 with breaks in between. The first one was average form, but I still pulled it up. The final 2 were a bit sloppy and just after the knees I started to hinge (2 hinge movements to lock it out each time)

BENCH was on week 2 and I managed to get out 82.5kg with good form but failed on 85kg

SQUAT was this week, and I decided to slowly work my way up to it. Bar x 10, 40 x 5, 60 x 4 80 x 3, 90 x 2. I loaded up the bar with 100 total and lifted it out of the rack, at this point, I have never felt any strain, pain or struggle in my body. (I don't use a belt yet as I am still lifting light in comparison to others)

I took a deep breath and unracked it confidently and like it was light. I took my stance and forgot an EXTREMELY crucial step (while in the excitement of working up my 1RM for the first time), I forgot to reset my breath and was still holding the air from unracking; which by now I must have let a bit out by this stage. I went down and deep, well below parallel as I normally do (Which feels most comfortable and natural)

Coming out of the hole my glutes activated and my legs were tight without my knees buckling in at all. I was lifting the weight quite easily and then suddenly 3/4 of the way up I felt a very uncomfortable and strange pop, then a very hot sensation (like very warm water was filling in to the surrounding area) underneath and behind the lowest front (anterior?) rib on my right side. I was not struggling with the lift at all and got it up nicely but could not continue as the pain did not go away. When I breath in or hold the air in, the pain intensifies, so does stretching backwards and downwards to the left side of my body (leaning over to the right side is barely noticeable)

I could not continue any other movements and I am now pissed off that I can't finish! Has anybody heard of this before? How long after this type of pain goes away should I start working out again? - I did google it and the closest I could find was "Intercostal muscle damage". This does sound similar but it is not in between 2 ribs, it's underneath and behind the lowest rib

Last edited:
Hi uppon,
Go and get a proper diagnosis of injury, if you have a rib/cartilage injury it will take alot longer to heal than the muscle injury. I popped a rib during squats in April from not warming up the upper body and it still niggles to this day, 4 months later. I held off on getting a proper diagnosis so it didn't get treated properly from the start.

My last rib injury took 6 months to heal and I wasn't weight lifting then.

Another thread on the topic
http://ausbb.com/injuries/23382-sternum-rib-injury.html

Well done on the pb's too...

Thanks man! Yes I will go to the doctor tomorrow! I swear I felt like I could have squeezed out 130-140kg. ROOKIE MISTAKE! - Lesson has been learned

Hi uppon,
Go and get a proper diagnosis of injury, if you have a rib/cartilage injury it will take alot longer to heal than the muscle injury. I popped a rib during squats in April from not warming up the upper body and it still niggles to this day, 4 months later. I held off on getting a proper diagnosis so it didn't get treated properly from the start.

My last rib injury took 6 months to heal and I wasn't weight lifting then.

Another thread on the topic
http://ausbb.com/injuries/23382-sternum-rib-injury.html

:( - I hope I am not out that long!