• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Your shopping bill - Tips on saving/ current specials

Sydking

Hi all

Most with decent paying jobs and not many out goings will find this not as helpful, but due to a few unfortunate events Ive had to really look at my spending and re thinks how i do things

State to State this will vary quite a bit i think but im from Sydney NSW so i kick it off

Ive always shopped at the big two chains, Mind its very rare that i walk up and down the isles, I find everything that i need and want is on the outskirts

Even now meat, veg and eggs are very exxy at the big chains.. $11 a Kg for beef mince....That is crazy!

A few items at woollies yesterday found me $62, after that i went to a local fruit shop and spent $20 on my vegies for the week including about 1 months of potatoes so not bad at all

My aim from now on is to cut out the big chains all together, i did a fair bit of looking around yesterday and found some really good buys that alot of you could probably get your hands on

So after being fed up at the prices at woolies, really we are just paying premium price to have everything in one convenient locations, Lamb at $48 a kg, eye fillet $42 a kg...

So... I went down to Eastwood and scored the following

Bananas - 0.80c a kg
Beef mince - $4 a kg
Pork mince - $3 a kg
boneless/skinless chicken thighs for $6 a kg

Next door was an Asian super market, bug bunches of fresh bok choy, Choy sum for 80c each

Garlic at 0.30c a bulb, this would cost you about $6 at the big two

On the way home i found a fruit shop in West Ryde, selling 2 dozen eggs for $4, I paid $6 for a dozen a few days before at woolies so this was great

Next stop was Costco - Were i picked up 4.5kg of Quakers old fashioned oats for $8.50

I did find punnets of strawberrys at Woolworths for $1 which was unbeatable

Next week i will head to a wholesale butcher and stock up on a bit of meat, there is about 4 i will head to and compare quality and prices and report back, also underway is the herb garden at home which can save quite a bit, nothing worse then paying $4 for a bunch of parsley, using a bit then tossing the rest.

any tips and hints you have please add them in, im really trying to budget $100 a week for me and the missus.

$100 for 2 people?

Shiiiit.

I spend that on meat alone for a week. Though, I eat good steak.

Best bet would be big butchers and markets.

Market!

I get eye fillet for $21/kg, Scotch fillet for $16/kg and load up on gravy beef at about $7/kg for slow cooking and casseroles. Mince is ridiculously cheap too.

Spend about $100-150 and I get 4 weeks worth of beef to feed a family of 4.

You also wont find cheaper fruit and veg than a market (unless you grow your own). I also get nuts, legumes, oats etc at the market and save a truck load of cash.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Yep i pretty much always buy bulk meat, get full rump steaks at about 6.99/kg so about $65 each, stotch fillet 9.99 or eye fillet 13.99, chicken breast 6.99 and premium mince for $12 for 2kg, i have alos just bought a full lamb all cut up and bagged about 20kg of meat all up for $120 and it is fuckin good if i dont mind saying so.

As for fruit and veg well i dont eat much fruit but veg there is a bulk or wholesale/cheap veggie market near me which is great produce and cheaper than the supermarkets so generally shop there...

South Eastern Suburbs Melbourne..

ive never been a fan of frozen meat - But i have been using my dads vacuum sealer, and wow does it make a difference.

Im going to hit flemo markets at 5am sometime this week and see whats its like, ive been to the Saturday/ Sunday at the 9/4 times and its spose to be even better first thing in the morning

The sauces, tuna, toilet paper, cleaning products etc are all good and alot cheaper at aldi. Worth a look.

The sauces, tuna, toilet paper, cleaning products etc are all good and alot cheaper at aldi. Worth a look.

Awesome! will suss out

One of the ladys at work will take half a hour and sit down with, all the supermarket catalogs and mark up what she needs at the time and the best price out of them all, then bulk buys the item to last a while, Like big tins of oil and washing powder ect

Also a website called ozbargin it worth a look

This...

I'd spend $200 total on myself...

$100 for 2, I'd rather not have a malnourished family

Thats fine if you can afford it.... dont get me wrong there plenty of times we would eat $50 of lamb rack each night and get premium wagyu steaks at $40 a piece

But you don't need to eat like that to get buy, and its not always sustainable hence why ive had to re think things

If i earned $700-$1000 a week i wouldn't care..

our grocery bill is about $210-$220 a week for the three of us. That does all breakfasts, lunches, dinners etc for a week. You can eat well on a budget (thanks to school fee's, mortgage etc) if you are willing to cook/prepare all the meals

It will also depend on how much you value your time. Yes you can save cash by getting the bargains, but it often involves traveling further and/or making multiple trips or stops.

I'm happy to do most of my shopping at the big chains. Yes it might be more expensive but I value my time so in my mind I am saving in the long run.

The best investment is a large freezer that allows bulk purchases of meat (from butcher) as well as frozen vegies.

I get almost everything i need from the farmers market, everything is much cheaper there and usually of a far better quality.

For 4 people we spend $200 per week, and i am a big eater. We also buy stuff like flour, rice etc. in very large quantities which saves a whole lot.

[MENTION=3352]lkt004[/MENTION];

interesting as most of the farmers markets i have been to the meat especially is a lot more expensive but agree that the quality is usually excellent, fruit and veg can be a hit and miss on price but usually the quality is very good.

[MENTION=3352]lkt004[/MENTION];

interesting as most of the farmers markets i have been to the meat especially is a lot more expensive but agree that the quality is usually excellent, fruit and veg can be a hit and miss on price but usually the quality is very good.

Yeah don't go to farmers market expecting cheap food. It's usually expensive as hell.

If you want cheap, find places you can buy in bulk.

As for the quality it can be pretty variable as well.

Our local one is very good, cheap and good quality, it's also a nice morning out. It's also pretty damn massive lol.

Our local one is very popular and I know a lot of the people selling stuff.

Never seen cheap stuff at any of them. Why would it be cheap? The farmers can just sell their stuff cheap the standard way. Why go to all the effort of taking all your produce to a farmers market to sell it cheap.

Our local one is very popular and I know a lot of the people selling stuff.

Never seen cheap stuff at any of them. Why would it be cheap? The farmers can just sell their stuff cheap the standard way. Why go to all the effort of taking all your produce to a farmers market to sell it cheap.

Ive been to a few organic farmers markets around Sydney - and i cant afford much there but they need to make a living too, Just not from my pocket they dont, But i find anything labeled organic is double the price.

only one i have not been to is the Sydney markets, Keen to suss that out this week

The missus went shopping today, Came back with beef mince at $12 a kg

This was after i said anything $5kg or UNDER is good

Monday's Tip - Do your own shopping