• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Pullup / Chinups - Increasing Reps

Hellonasty

Hi,

I'm seeking advice or even a basic program for increasing pullup reps, and additionally what is a realistic goal for pullup reps?. I'm referring to controlled good form with a wide overhand grip pullups, not kipping or super speed etc.

I can currently do 12 good form slowish pullups but can't seem to progress any further, been stuck for about 4 weeks.

I'm just starting to experiment with static holds at both top and bottom which
from my research is supposed to help with max reps.

Currently I don't do any specific pullup work besides 2 sets per week of 5 reps for 5 sets at the end of an Oly lift workout.

The majority of my training is Olympic Lifts, I will include stats in my signature soon but you need more posts before it is available.

I'm 82kg and 180cm tall.

Thanks for any replies.

If you want to increase your chins, then you need to do more than just 2 sets per week!
Olympic lifting is good for olympic lifts, but not always for chins.
Id do a chins workout twice a week if you really want to improve the numbers.
I do 5 sets of 10 normal chins
5 sets of 10 side chins
and 3 sets of max (5-6) rope chins.
Once a week that is, plus i do chins in my cardio stuff too...

I would set a goal, say 15, and just do it! If you fail, jump up and get one at a time out until youve done the 15. then rest, then do it again. Eventually your back, arms etc will condition to punching out more chins. Its hard work like any of the other lifts, but if its something you want, then you can work towards it with that goal in mind.

For reps at body weight

For men

A good start. 5
Demonstrating basic fitness. 10
Very good, strong. 15
Excellent, rare. 20
Superlative. 25

For reps at body weight Women

A good start. 1
Demonstrating basic fitness. 3
Very good, strong. 6
Excellent, rare. 9
Superlative. 12

Weighted chin-ups (for 6-8 rep)

Men
A good start. Bodyweight. *
Very good, strong. Bodyweight + 10kg
Excellent, rare. Bodyweight + 22kg
Superlative. Bodyweight + 35kg

Women
A good start. ?
Very good, strong. Bodyweight
Excellent, rare. Bodyweight + 7kg
Superlative, Bodyweight + 14kg

1. If you're stuck on a number, I'd suggest you consider the adage of plates.

2. Perform negatives at the end of a set now and again.

3. Squirt out some chin-ups every day.

4. Best of all; "ladders", google "pavels ladder"

Recently reading Arnold Scharzenggers encyclopaedia of Body Building, he suggests doing 50 body weight chin ups twice a week, he also suggests doing it on back day before anything else.

No sets and reps suggested, simply do as many chins as you can, rest for 30 seconds to 1 minute and go again, repeat for as many sets as needed to complete 50 chin ups.

Sound like torture to me as I am hopeless with chin ups, currently doing 12 in total on back day (this arvo), but should get your reps up pretty quick I would imagine.:)

You could also try stuff like fast as possible up, 1-2sec hold at top, and lower for a count of 3-4secs to full extension then fast up again for reps/sets (6-8/3-4).

My best is 24 strict pull ups, over grasp, I use to do 10 before every meal or when I pass the pull bar. As others have suggested, the best way to get better at pull ups, is to do pull ups.

Thanks for all the advice, much appreciated.

I just built a nice high pullup bar in my backyard so I will have access to it all the time now which should help.

I like Pavel's ladder because it would increase my volume by quite a bit. To this I think I will add a few sets of weighted low rep work and the static hold/a few negatives here and there.

I will formulate a extremely basic program and let you know the results.

Any tips on grip ? I use the classic hook grip for my Oly lifts which gives awesome grip but tends to hurt my wrists and I feel is less effective when doing pullups, probably because the bar is slightly thicker. I have been using the thumbs on top grip like you would for a back squat but this doesn't seem optimal.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for all the advice, much appreciated.

I just built a nice high pullup bar in my backyard so I will have access to it all the time now which should help.

I like Pavel's ladder because it would increase my volume by quite a bit. To this I think I will add a few sets of weighted low rep work and the static hold/a few negatives here and there.

I will formulate a extremely basic program and let you know the results.

Any tips on grip ? I use the classic hook grip for my Oly lifts which gives awesome grip but tends to hurt my wrists and I feel is less effective when doing pullups, probably because the bar is slightly thicker. I have been using the thumbs on top grip like you would for a back squat but this doesn't seem optimal.

Any thoughts?

No thoughts, other than just do what works for you.
The most simple, but difficult and effective pull.

Farmer's will be your other friend.

The quickest way to get better at chins is shed any excess fat.

Chins are a great measure of relative strength. If you are poor at chins you are either too weak, too fat or both.

I don't think I'm weak or fat ? I can lift significant numbers on the Olympic Lifts and Back Squat so I'm definitely not weak, and I would estimate I'm less than 15% body fat. Any other ideas ?

Keep adding weight and max out once a week
Do a rep day with body weight the other day

I don't think I'm weak or fat ? I can lift significant numbers on the Olympic Lifts and Back Squat so I'm definitely not weak, and I would estimate I'm less than 15% body fat. Any other ideas ?

If you can't do many chins. Like I said you are either weak at chins or too fat. There are no other options for it.

If you are not fat it means you are weak at chins. Pretty simple to fix. Do a lot more chins.

The quickest way to get better at chins is shed any excess fat.

Chins are a great measure of relative strength. If you are poor at chins you are either too weak, too fat or both.

or injured I guess

I got pretty good at chins doing them 2-3 times a week, sometimes with weight added. It takes a while to get better.

I will definitely try Pavel's ladder, sounds like Smolov which I believe he popularised. Smolov works like you wouldn't believe.

I can only do a few chins now. I tore my tendon from using an overhand grip and 'bouncing out of the bottom' too quickly.... I recommend you really control your descent, especially at the bottom.

Lookup Armstrong program or recon ron, both volume based, popular programs for aceing us army fitness tests, 20+ strict pull-ups straight through.