• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

How do you measure your body fat?

Enceladus

I'm interested to see how you measure your body fat and whether you believe the method or device you use is accurate.
I have a bathroom scale which has a read-out for BMI, visceral fat, overall body fat, skeletal muscle mass, and overall body weight. I don't know how accurate it is, so I'd like to try other proven methods to compare.

Thanks.

Those bathroom scale body fat measure are completely useless, at one stage I lose about 12kg and according to this scales my bf% went up 2%.

One accurate way is to use body fat calipers and do the pinch test on various points aorund the body, generally hard to do yourself and for the most accurate results you need someone else to help and be consistant when you redo them.

However, the most accurate way is to go and get a dexa scan, this will measure home density, bf and muscle % and other stuff, should also give you your recommended Cal requirement a to maintain or cut weight.

My scale has hand sensors and foot pad sensors. How it can measure skeletal muscle and visceral fat mystifies me.
About 8 years ago, I experimented with a trainer to see if one would teach me anything new, and he showed up on the first day with a floor scale and took my measurements. I count myself as an analytical person, and looked at that methodology through squinted eyes.
About 3 years ago, I joined a gym and the trainer attached several pad sensors to my body and made my lay on the floor for I think 10 minutes. She gave me my BMI, body fat, etc numbers. I don't know what that method is called.

I wavered buying callipers because they looked far too simple to be accurate. I might give one a try for comparison.

I agree the better evaluation is by a credible lab with proven peer reviewed methodologies. Peer reviewed is a term not used a lot in the fitness industry, and rarely used in the powder and pills industry, but that's a different issue.

i use the mirror and over estimate. not competing so its no biggy.

the shape is more what im after. but of course keeping an eye on a bulk or a diet, the mirror and being honest with yourself.

i have a DEXA but not much point having one more than once every 6 months or so.

Want to get calipers for spot checks in between

only use my scales for weight.
[MENTION=8986]oldcorollas[/MENTION]; is right. the impedance method is more strongly affected by hydration levels, point in monthly cycle for women and even the way you stand on the scales!

There is no "accurate" method amongst these...so it's best to be consistent with a method you trust and look at changes.
the mirror won't lie although for small changes, you might not be able to gauge from a mirror. Plus you see yourself every day ... often we're not the best judges of changes in our own physiques, no?

Whatever method you choose doesn't have to be 100% accurate, just consistent, that way you can accurately monitor a loss or a gain. To be honest I can't think of a situation where you'd need to accurately know your BF?

show me a pic and i'll guess within 2% nearly every time. who needs all the time wasting?
learn your body and do it yourself too!

Caliper is really quite effective for me, I use Jackson/Pollock 7 site fat caliper method (in mm.) you can check through the internet what are these sites.

Here's how to do it:

1. All measurement should be made on the right side of the body)
2. Caliper should be placed 1 cm away from thumb and finger, perpendicular to skinfold, and halfway between crest and base of fold.
3. Pinch should be maintained while reading the caliper
4. Wait 1 to 2 seconds (and not longer) before reading caliper
5. Take duplicate measures at each site and retest if duplicate measurements are not within 1 to 2 mm.
6. Rotate through measurements sites or allow time for skin to regain normal texture and thickness.

Subtract your lean bodyweight from your total bodyweight (Total weight-Lean Bodyweight). Once you get the result, multiply that number by 100. Once you get the result divide it by your total bodyweight. This final result is your percentage of body fat.

Formula: ((Total Bodyweight - Lean Bodyweight) x 100) divided by (Your Body Weight) = Your Percentage of Body Fat.