• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Bulking on a budget

P

Plows92

Hi, I'm just after some advice. I'm competing in the Max's muscle up challenge and just seeing if anyone out there would have some advice on bulking on a strict budget.
I often find myself working with around 20 bucks a week sometimes less to be able to plan my meals.
Any advice would be much appreciated.

$20 a week? Wow.. That's tight...

Lots of pasta and cheap mince/ gravy beef?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

Yeah mate... that is damn tight...

Sausages, baked beans... Could get some eggs a little cheaper from the likes of some local butchers etc..

So you've got $20 in total for all your food? per week?

Would not think you would be getting much protein from $20 a week, mainly carbs from things like rice and pasta, as said maybe some cheap cuts of meat, bolar blade, gravy beef, sausages.

Milk 8 litres- $8, 5100cals/272g protein
Rice 1kg - $2, 9000cals, 180g protein
Canned tuna 2kg - $10.60, 2200 cals, 493g protein

135g protein a day
2328 cals a day

If your a lightweight you might be able to bulk, could sub the milk for milk powder and you might get more cals. I'm suprised anyone could survive on $20/week. Suprising that you could live on that.

Don't you have to buy Max's supplement products to qualify for the challenge?
If you've only got $20/week for food, dropping supplements would have to be a priority.

Mate I don't wanna come across as a condescending douche bag, but $20 a week for food ain't great. Anyway you could re*prioritise your budgeting and allocate more to eating well and looking after yourself?

Sent from my GT*I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Hi, I'm just after some advice. I'm competing in the Max's muscle up challenge and just seeing if anyone out there would have some advice on bulking on a strict budget.
I often find myself working with around 20 bucks a week sometimes less to be able to plan my meals.
Any advice would be much appreciated.

Why only $20??
Where do you train that lets you train for free??
Surly you can get more than $20 per week prioritising your budget??
How do you afford to be on the internet when you only have $20 to spare??
May be get rid of some other expenses to get some food.

You can get chicken drum sticks for $3 to $4 per kilo, mince for about $6 per kilo. I don't think Sausages and Baked beans are good value.

So may be $10 worth of chicken drum sticks and a Kilo of Milk powder for protein, Milk is about $1 per litre. So if you can stretch it drink a litre of milk a day and add some milk powder for extra protein.

Home Brand 2 minute noodles, Home Brand Rice, Home Brand Pasta Home brand toast for cheap carbs.

Apart from that, sell some stuff on eBay/gumtree etc, get a part time job night packing, collecting trolleys, Maccas, your local shop, do some lawn mowing/car washing/cleaning/labouring etc all of which pay at least $20 per hour.

Last edited:
Actually just looking at it he could do an OK bulk for $22 a week. I got the below prices from Woolworths website and ran them through MFP so it can be done. Not ideal nutritition and a bit bland but you could maintain on $20 and bulk on $22 unless I've fucked up the cal content of a kg of dry white rice.

Milk 8 litres* $8, 5100cals/272g protein
Rice 2kg * $4, 18000cals, 360g protein
Canned tuna 2kg * $10.60, 2200 cals, 493g protein

That would give you *
3600 cals per day
160g of protein

That would be 2g/kg of protein if he is up to 80kg and buttloads of carbs. No reason you couldn't bulk off that. You'd get fucking sick of rice and tuna and probably get a bit fat you could drop back to the single kilo of rice and get the below which would see anyone under 80kg slowly bulking, based on my experience. I didn't run the macros just basing it on my experience as someone between 85 to 90kg bodyweight

Milk 8 litres* $8, 5100cals/272g protein
Rice 1kg * $2, 9000cals, 180g protein
Canned tuna 2kg * $10.60, 2200 cals, 493g protein

135g protein a day
2328 cals a day

Have to shoplift the occasional piece of fruit to make sure you don't get scurvy. But it can be done.

Last edited:
Canned tune for $5.30 per kilo:confused:

Isn't a small 100gram can of the stuff like $2??

Nah mate... as a spruiker of the home*brand you should know...

I get my homebrand tuna from woolworths was $1.89 per 420gm can up til recently. Think its gone up to about $2.10ish or sumthin like that.

Nah mate... as a spruiker of the home*brand you should know...

I get my homebrand tuna from woolworths was $1.89 per 420gm can up til recently. Think its gone up to about $2.10ish or sumthin like that.

WOW thats cheap!

Never buy tuna, don't eat it, don't like it, so never looked at it, but I remember seeing small cans on special for 5 for $5 advertised as half price so I figured they be $2 a can usually.

WOW thats cheap!

Never buy tuna, don't eat it, don't like it, so never looked at it, but I remember seeing small cans on special for 5 for $5 advertised as half price so I figured they be $2 a can usually.

Yeah, that's the 'better' branded crap...

As long as its got the dolphin friendly logo on it (legit? probs not) I'll buy it. Whatever's cheapest.

I been eating Tuna for years and still hate the taste of it with a passion.

Its just cheap and accessible.