• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Why would / won't you compete?

Beauty pageants for oiled up men in g strings with too much tan don't really excite me but that's just me.

I did two comps within a couple of weeks of each other about 10yrs ago. I am glad I did them and very proud of the effort I had to put in to get into the required condition, it was by far the most I'd ever pushed my body. However,I have no interest competing again as I found the comp prep extremely isolating with regards to how time consuming the physical training is and how mentally draining and socially isolating the dieting is.

It's mostly around the 6 week out from comp day mark things get pretty messed up and the last week was torture for all. I found everything else around me suffered - work, relationships, family etc, with many of them having to put up with my mood swings and fussy dieting requirements. I am most grateful for the tolerance they showed and support they offered, but while we laugh about it now, it was not a lot of fun at the time for any of us.

Upon reflection, I find the sport of competitive bodybuilding an extremely selfish and obsessive one, and it is loaded with people who have massive body image issues. It is perfect for those that are, but not for me. You will form your own conclusions if you head down that path.

I have for a while flipped between yes I will compete and no I won't, I am a competative person so unless I know I will be competative one stage with a very good chance of placing I would prefer to train hard u til I think i am ready, I have had a couple of people say I should in the industry but still don't think i am at that level where I should.

Then there also is the issue of time, I know the commitment it take a for a comp prep without even doing one and with a young family, work and social commitments just makes things that little bit harder, I know not impossible however harder.

I think overall it is one thing I would love to do at least on e to see how it all goes but being 35yo I think time I slowly running out....

not really interested at all ... I have no reason to do it that I can think of.

to me, it's a lot like a beauty pageant of sorts so not on the radar.

plus I don't do fake tans and g strings :D

Whats the facination about g-bangers when competing, from my understanding in most feds you arent allowed to were g bangers when competing in Aus?

I certainly dont have the body but I wouldn't have the discipline to get that lean in any case.

I would say most people wouldn't but instead of admitting it will probably claim they have no interest in oiled up men in g strings.

I certainly dont have the body but I wouldn't have the discipline to get that lean in any case.

I would say most people wouldn't but instead of admitting it will probably claim they have no interest in oiled up men in g strings.

Well anyone can compete. I never claimed I would or could do any good at it.

You really have to love suffering to go through with a proper contest prep. The feeling of achieving it is amazing, but yes it's all rather silly for a few minutes on stage in your budgie smugglers.

For me I have to have a goal to aspire to, originally it was powerlifting but I found the training schedules for that to be harder to fit into my daily life than competing in bodybuilding. At least when prepping you can still get away with a 45 minute weight session, then cardio later in the day, the devil is in the diet.

With the advent of IIFYM, prepping has become a lot easier as well, but when you're getting under 10% bodyfat there isn't a lot of food choices you can fit into pissy little macros :p

Im an introvert. Displaying myslef 95% naked on a stage in front of a crowd makes me anxious just thinking about it. That would be the main hurdle for me if I ever got into the shape that would warrant an entry.

I think it is a little unfair to suggest a bodybuilding or figure comp is a beauty pageant. You are displaying the extremely hard work you have put into lifting and dieting to get into that condition, which deserves abit more admiration than just being born good looking. Plus, a lot of people think bodybuilders look disgusting anyway...

For every person that placed in front of me, my self esteem would go down 50 extra points lol. At home, I'm always the winner......lol.

For every person that placed in front of me, my self esteem would go down 50 extra points lol. At home, I'm always the winner......lol.

... Take are leaf out of your handle.

Go easy on yourself! - This is something I am constantly telling my Mrs. and most other women I hear beating themselves up for not fitting into some conceived idea of what they 'should' look like :)

... Take are leaf out of your handle.

Go easy on yourself! - This is something I am constantly telling my Mrs. and most other women I hear beating themselves up for not fitting into some conceived idea of what they 'should' look like :)

You are correct, and I also know how horrible it can be to hear someone talk about not liking themselves too!! I'm still growing into my skin at the ripe old age of 36 and I have only taking my Gym and Diet serious this last 3-4 months after being diagnosed with a raft of "You wouldn't have this if you were not so overweight" diseases lol.

What I should say is, I have dropped twelve kilos and 16cm off my waist in the last three months, I might not be comp ready, but I'm frickin awesome nonetheless.....LOL. :D:D:D

Last edited: