• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

[Video] Do You Have Metabolic Damage? How Do You Know Otherwise?

If I was on 1500 cals a day and exercising at 90kg for 6 months over a year ago could I still have damage? Christ I was hungry... but I had will power

Sorry dude...

This guy is a fuck tard!!!

Do not listen to this shit...

:( lol I will fall for anything in this delicate state - I have been eating 1700-2000 calories per day with clean food for almost 3 months now and I have barely noticed ANY changes in fat loss. I have however toned my shoulders slightly and my legs are slightly bigger and more toned. Biceps are a bit bigger and so are forearms. My bf% is still the same overall (My stomach in fact got bigger)

According to 75% of BMR calculators out there my maintenance is 2000 calories with no working out.

I walk 30 minutes on Tue and Thur (Roughly 150-250 calories per day there)
I do PTC Beginners Mon Wed Fri (Roughly 300-500 calories per day there)

What can I do now besides want to punch my monitor through the wall? Do I consume more calories, less calories? Everybody on here says I am under eating? Does that mean the BMR calculators are incredibly inaccurate? Why the hell do they even exist? Even as a starting point it has proved out to be ineffective for me!

Now I have either done 1 of 2 things apparently.

1. Consumed too many calories in vs out and got nowhere
2. Consumed too little calories in vs out and caused a negative result

I am having a sook? YES! I feel like a fkn idiot? - Do I go to a dietician, doctor, trainer? How can I figure it out.........

Prior to my trainer, I was eating lots of processed food, simple carbs and junk food in general @ about 50+% of daily calorie intake over months or even years; never actually monitoring calories and sometimes going under or over BMR requirements and in lots of cases only eating once or twice a day, with crap food. How can I repaid that kind of damage? What type of diet and calorie intake would I need to repair? I am 176 cm tall, 31 years old and 100 kg?

Last edited:
[MENTION=15745]uppon2[/MENTION]; do you weigh your food and count kcals/macros properly?

when you start out, it pays to do that with some dedication as you can figure out where you may be under or overestimating food portions.

but I'm assuming that you do that.

true metabolic damage takes some time and effort to achieve
(ref Layne Norton's videos on this topic, much better than the one you posted in the OP)

It is unlikely your case if you were overweight/eating more beforehand anyway. It's not about just saying "I have a slow metabolism".

Track your weight and measurements weekly for a few weeks. Based on the changes you see, you might need to increase, decrease or keep your macros the same.

Plus, some people are either fat or carb sensistive ... not most but some.
For these people having a higher portion of their intake as fats or carbs respectively, will make it harder to achieve fat loss.

What macro splits are you on?

Was initially interested in topic and vid, pressed play, listened to him talk for 30secs, dismissed the rest and closed as i imagine it would have been 48mins of fooly shick brah science.....

Was i wrong in prejudging?

[MENTION=15745]uppon2[/MENTION]; do you weigh your food and count kcals/macros properly?

when you start out, it pays to do that with some dedication as you can figure out where you may be under or overestimating food portions.

but I'm assuming that you do that.

true metabolic damage takes some time and effort to achieve
(ref Layne Norton's videos on this topic, much better than the one you posted in the OP)

It is unlikely your case if you were overweight/eating more beforehand anyway. It's not about just saying "I have a slow metabolism".

Track your weight and measurements weekly for a few weeks. Based on the changes you see, you might need to increase, decrease or keep your macros the same.

Plus, some people are either fat or carb sensistive ... not most but some.
For these people having a higher portion of their intake as fats or carbs respectively, will make it harder to achieve fat loss.

What macro splits are you on?

Thanks for your reply. I weigh all of my protein and I track my other measurements using a calorie counter (I pick the average) - My macro breakdown is 50P/30C/20F.

A link to my diet can be found in my signature :)

With the current amount of calories I am getting, I never feel lethargic or tired. I have enough energy throughout the day and the only time I am absolutely exhausted is during my workout (I have started to up my carbs on these days usually eating them 1 hour prior to working out)

My concern is I was consuming so many calories beforehand (eating junk food 50% of the time and never eating veggies) over a period of years, it's really hard to measure what my body was used to. Considering I have never had the right nutrients, it's hard to determine if my energy I have now is simply because I have never eaten correctly, or it's because I am getting enough clean macros?

I never thought getting in shape would be so mathematically challenging! I thought to myself, eat clean, cut out junk and build up some sweat, then everything will fall in to place? Apparently not :(

Was initially interested in topic and vid, pressed play, listened to him talk for 30secs, dismissed the rest and closed as i imagine it would have been 48mins of fooly shick brah science.....

Was i wrong in prejudging?

well metabolic damage is real although I do laugh when I hear that EVERY SINGLE BB COMPETITOR HAS IT lolz

as someone who literally starved herself for decades, I did actually have some serious metabolic damage. Didn't require someone with a PhD in nutrition to tell me that, or to tell me what to do to fix it. Eat. More. Gradually. Adapt.
It's what humans do.

Won't judge the vid in the OP although must say Layne Norton's vids are pretty good. It's not broscience. The fitness/BB industry is where the haha's come into it a bit .. not the actual concept of MD.

@uppon;

checked your log ... looks OK but hard to tell what the mix of protein, fats and carbs is as part of your diet (ie the breakdown).

It's really just a matter of making sure you get your minimum protein and fat requirements each day and the rest is carbs.

I'd say just give it some time before you freak out. Keep tracking and see if things are heading in whichever direction ... if you notice a trend and it's not right, then look at changing what you do.

It's not mathematically challenging ... it should be kept as simple as possible. The complexities really don't add very much to progress

:)

ps it's great that you have turned your diet around to eating some good food ... it's important to get those micronutrients and fibre, not just the right kcals etc.

[MENTION=8557]chocchillimango[/MENTION];

Yeah i am in the same boat and know Metablic Damage is real as i think i have the same thing and have to get used to increasing my cals slowly to restore it and get the body used to the cals without putting on too much weight, i also know a few who have stuffed their metabolism through extreme dieting mainly female competitors who have rebounded from comp quite badly and get very dispressed in doing so.

Maybe it was the initial impression and delivery in the first coupld of minutes that really put me off...

Cool thanks [MENTION=8557]chocchillimango[/MENTION];

Hopefully Layne doesnt break out the spreadsheets and graphs to really turn you on, hahaha

uppon2: just remember that you can't reverse metabolic adaptations and lose fat at the same time. So if you really do believe that you have some then do as CCM says and up the cals for a bit. 2 week diet break never hurts. That is assuming that you are accurately measuring food as is. (even then the actual number doesn't matter, all that really matters is that you are plateauing in weight loss at your current intake and if you aren't willing to lower it (which I wouldn't at your stats) then the diet break seems like the best option)

Getting lean (and retaining LBM) is a marathon not a sprint.

What-success-looks-like.jpg

uppon2: just remember that you can't reverse metabolic adaptations and lose fat at the same time. So if you really do believe that you have some then do as CCM says and up the cals for a bit. 2 week diet break never hurts. That is assuming that you are accurately measuring food as is. (even then the actual number doesn't matter, all that really matters is that you are plateauing in weight loss at your current intake and if you aren't willing to lower it (which I wouldn't at your stats) then the diet break seems like the best option)

this

[MENTION=7082]jzpowahz[/MENTION];

ease up on the diagrams and graphs, we want [MENTION=8557]chocchillimango[/MENTION]; to be able to concertrate and give valued feedback, not be wisked away in to dream sequences of sexy spreadsheets, graphs and other non descript diagrams....

@uppon;

checked your log ... looks OK but hard to tell what the mix of protein, fats and carbs is as part of your diet (ie the breakdown).

It's really just a matter of making sure you get your minimum protein and fat requirements each day and the rest is carbs.

I'd say just give it some time before you freak out. Keep tracking and see if things are heading in whichever direction ... if you notice a trend and it's not right, then look at changing what you do.

It's not mathematically challenging ... it should be kept as simple as possible. The complexities really don't add very much to progress

:)

ps it's great that you have turned your diet around to eating some good food ... it's important to get those micronutrients and fibre, not just the right kcals etc.

Thanks for the great info!

I thought this video was absolutely fantastic! It's a fairly long video, but is is extremely informative for everybody!

It's basically explaining and giving advice on fixing metabolic damage which has or might apply to more people then you think.

Metabolic Damage - MJ's Thoughts Episode 4 - MassiveJoes.com - Capacity Rate Adaptation Crashing - YouTube

May be have a read of 'Carb Nite', it covers diet pitfalls and metabolic damage and how it is caused and how to correct it.

Interesting read.