• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Getting the 'Pump'

I don't agree with using TUT as a measure.

10 rep set, 1 second negative, 1 second positive, 1 second pause/contraction. 30 approx seconds of force exertion at X weight before muscular failure. Negative portion is relatively unaffected. Gets 10 reps.

10 rep set, 4 second negative, 1 second positive, 1 second pause/contraction. 60 approx seconds of force exertion at same weight before muscular failure. Negative portion is at muscular failure. Still just 10 reps. Double the workload.

Double time under force, exact same weight, greater stimulus for hypertrophy.

Great stimulus for hypertrophy and more likely to get a "pump".

To answer Mick's question, I don't believe a pump is required for maximum hypertrophy. Sufficient TUT to create an anabolic stimulus is.

10 rep set, 1 second negative, 1 second positive, 1 second pause/contraction. 30 approx seconds of force exertion at X weight before muscular failure. Negative portion is relatively unaffected. Gets 10 reps.

10 rep set, 4 second negative, 1 second positive, 1 second pause/contraction. 60 approx seconds of force exertion at same weight before muscular failure. Negative portion is at muscular failure. Still just 10 reps. Double the workload.

Double time under force, exact same weight, greater stimulus for hypertrophy.

Yes.

But hang on, if you are using the same weight, I would expect 20 rep's with the shorter TUT.

THE SUBJECT MATTER HERE IS, is extreme pumping going to stimulate extra strength and size?

Using TUT as a means to measure the "pump effect" is not what TUT is for.

If one can be bothered counting how many seconds you do a rep, it can be an excellent method of insuring you are honestly progressing on a particular exercise, between 90 to 120 seconds seems to be the optimal time, before one can progress (adage of kg)

Here you're not counting reps but time.

I'm all for the pump, makes me feel like I've trined that muscle to bursting point, feels great, not real sure if it promotes growth though, but I do it just in case it does.
Makes sense to saturate the trained/damaged muscle with blood/nutrients.
I find that when I'm dieting on protein only, and I don't have any carbs or a bit of sugar during the day, I struggle for that extreme pump I love to walk out of the gym with.
Any one else get that?
Pisses me off, hate going to bed without the "pump", its propably incorrect, but it makes me feel like the training session didnt achive that much.

If you feel the muscle working (whether or not it engorges with blood to the point of bursting, with a good pump) and you improved on last workout in some way, does it matter?

Been doing this long enough to know it doesnt matter, but its the child trapped inside a mans body sucking for his "pump".

By the pump I assume you mean the pain after your workout you feel in the muscle?

I only get this after doing reps of six or more. Very rare when I do reps of five or less. I have been training only with five reps or less the past few months and have seen the best results i.e. body change and strength improvement, without getting the soreness after the workout.