• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

when can you call yourself a bodybuilding/weightlifter/powerlifter

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
Question for yall.

when do you think is the appropriate amount of training been done so that can call yourself a bodybuilding/weightlifter/powerlifter

Do you need to look a certain way? push a certain amount of weight? live breath eat shit weights? Do you need to do competitions

2nd. What classifies someone as a power lifter vs a bodybuilder?

You know, I was going to say it was entirely a personal choice based on other sports and participants at a recreational level identifying themselves similarly but when I got thinking about it I think I have to agree with Bazza - it's when you compete.

Cyclists identify themselves as such, without necessarily competing. But I struggle to think of other sports that do the same. People who play grassroots football don't tend to call themselves footballers;people who train in kickboxing recreationally don't usually call themselves a kickboxer; etc etc ..

I guess it is still a personal choice, but I know that if someone said to me "I am a bodybuilder" or "I am a powerlifter" I would take that as meaning they compete, whereas someone saying that they "have an interest in bodybuilding" or "enjoy weightlifting" I don't give that some association.

Food for thought :)

I kind of agree with Bazza and Warby. There are times when I train and use a bodybuilding or a powerlifting approach....but i would be completely full of shit to class myself as being in either of those two categories.

I guess it is simliar to when one is no longer just an amatuer gynecologist.....

probably when you look like me j/k

as [MENTION=6722]Bazza20[/MENTION]; said, when you compete would be ideal. I consider myself someone who enjoys training & dont bracket myself with either bodybuilders or powerlifters.

I understand Bazza's definition (you have to compete) but I don't believe that everyone who competes is a bodybuilder. In my own case, I have competed about 10 times over 20 years but I've never felt like calling myself a bodybuilder because I have never committed properly to the lifestyle. I love to train but I have never adopted the nutrition side of bodybuilding because it has never been that important to me. I don't consider myself to be a bodybuilder and if people ask I just say that I train like one.

probably when you look like me j/k

as [MENTION=6722]Bazza20[/MENTION]; said, when you compete would be ideal. I consider myself someone who enjoys training & dont bracket myself with either bodybuilders or powerlifters.

Hahahahaha

Yeah totally agree. I train using powerlifting framework, but I don't compete and have no desire to compete, so I am by no means a powerlifter.

Working for the government we like fancy titles so I consider myself a Strength and Conditioning Aficionado :D

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

When [MENTION=6722]Bazza20[/MENTION]; says i am. Until then I am just a kunce who lifts weights for no particular reason.

so a bodybuilder/powerlifter is someone who competes , so what was the name for "bodybuilding" before there was competitions for it ?

Only when actively competing against others in a federation

Although I've always felt the the term "body-building" has been nebulous.

A power lifter can use/follow a "bodybiulding"template to biuld strength and maintain fatty tissue, from time to time.

i guess the question i am asking is , what defines someone who lifts weights from one who sculpts the body ,

so a bodybuilder/powerlifter is someone who competes , so what was the name for "bodybuilding" before there was competitions for it ?

A physical culturalist

They would show feats of strength and represent a healthy lifestyle.

Weider and Hoffman changed that.

I suppose the critical milestone in being a powerlifter or bodybuilder is when you start watching youtube videos of them.

He competed. And won his class.

Certified bodybuilder now?

500411-hamish-bodybuilding.jpg

Web definitions
someone who does special exercises to develop a brawny musculature.

Taking the above definition into account - regardless of size, length of time training, participating in comps etc - everyone who does these 'special exercises' are body builders.

Maybe there should be 'body builders' and 'professional body builders' - the pro's being the ones who compete?

The term 'body builder' can conjure up thoughts of massive guys / chics with veins popping out of their eye sockets...which isn't always the case.

Personally I don't think it has anything to do with competing.

By that definition a person training for years with weights all of a sudden becomes a body builder simply by stepping on stage?? What was he three minutes before he competed??

A person training for three months can classify themselves as a body builder even though he looks nothing like the stero typical body builder, but his reason for training, 'mens rea' or intend/ state of mind as well as his 'actus rea' or physical actions will make him a body builder or power lifter or what ever.

I believe it's what you are actually doing and what your intentions are while doing it will decide what you consider yourself.

For me personally in my mind I am neither, I train for my own satisfaction and I do not consider myself a body builder or power lifter, just a guy who trains with weights for general health, well being and enjoyment. :)