• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

[Q]/[DISCUSSION] Organic Whey! Organic? Quality? Taste? Worth It?

uppon2

I have briefly seen some organic brands thrown around but a brand mentioned the most is Professional Whey. However, it is never discussed and debated in great detail. It seems that this is the best of the local products that is organic. Most of the reviews seem very generic and a majority of them seem to feel like they are controlled by the company itself or something. I am not trying to slander or make accusations! I just want to make sure I am getting what I am reading.

I am quite happy to pay the extra for these following things

*Organic: is it really? Is there anything at all in it that isn't organic?
*Quality Product: is it accurate with ingredients / possibly lab tested with genuine results?
*NZ vs US Whey: Is it really what some people boast?

Lets talk about organic. Does anybody actually think that the protein we consume such as ON, BN, NB etc is really that bad to begin with? I have read some absolutely woeful ingredients with certain products that I will not mention out of kindness but these 3 are the only ones I personally use! Is there any point buying organic for health benefits? There seems to be little studies on this and the most part is biased towards certain brands!

On to the product quality. Without doing a test, how can the simple person actually trust companies that make certain claims? Out of all of the protein powders I have researched, it seems like BN is doing the most in enforcing this area! Should I only buy from BN even if it isn't organic? Will it ultimately make much of a difference to the affect on my body if I stayed with this brand? NB seems to be my next option in regards to trust! - Somebody new like me simply can not see results from any powders at this stage as I am new to lifting and I have never not taken the powder! - However, it is part of my diet and I need to take it for once or twice a day at least. I could be drinking down Franklins Self Raising Flour, and I wouldn't know the difference (Apart from the taste I dare say)

Moving on to NZ/US. I heard that there is one factory in the US that uses better equipment than one of the largest factories in NZ. I also heard that there is another large NZ factory that is better than any of the US factories, so to me this is really confusing and frustrating to know which one to go for. I do want the best product and will pay for it but will this honestly make a difference? Am I being a plonker or does this stuff not bother anybody else? I guess I am just a dirty ranga kunce that is experiencing Analysis Paralysis! But honestly, don't just tell me that, else I will punch my girlfriend in the boobs 8 times

They don't do "organic whey". They don't even claim to.

Organic flavourings, yes. Whey, no.

Haven't tried US whey, but to my body, AUS vs NZ makes absolutely no difference that I can tell.

Last edited:
Yeah I wouldn't bother either. Just buy normal whey from a reputable company and you'll be right.

Yeah I wouldn't bother either. Just buy normal whey from a reputable company and you'll be right.

I still have half a bag of ON Gold Standard Whey. Is that stuff good enough? People from the US talk it up but people from AU don't. Is there a reason for this? Is their blend really that bad...

Not familiar with that one (just heard about it a few times).

Always look at the percentages of WPI and WPC (and/or other protein sources) compared to other ingredients. Also, look at the total protein %. And then maybe compare price of protein per dollar, vs. other products from other companies (e.g., Australian pure WPC or WPI, from whoever) - if you can be bothered.

As with food, it helps to know what you're actually buying. A lot of people have no idea, and just buy what's popular, in pretty packaging, and advertised slickly.

Hm. I'll have to look up this ON stuff, and see how good/bad it really is...

edit: Maybe not one of the worst, sure, but there is some other shit in there. I would rather have pure WPC or pure WPI, and *nothing* else (unless flavoured, in which case just enough flavour and sweetening to do the trick).

Last edited:
I still have half a bag of ON Gold Standard Whey. Is that stuff good enough? People from the US talk it up but people from AU don't. Is there a reason for this? Is their blend really that bad...
yeah it's ok but you are paying for the name. it a proprietry blend so you don't know the exact ratios of the different proteins..
Just buy bulk WPC or WPI if you are lactose intolerant.

Not familiar with that one (just heard about it a few times).

Always look at the percentages of WPI and WPC (and/or other protein sources) compared to other ingredients. Also, look at the total protein %. And then maybe compare price of protein per dollar, vs. other products from other companies (e.g., Australian pure WPC or WPI, from whoever) - if you can be bothered.

As with food, it helps to know what you're actually buying. A lot of people have no idea, and just buy what's popular, in pretty packaging, and advertised slickly.

Hm. I'll have to look up this ON stuff, and see how good/bad it really is...

edit: Maybe not one of the worst, sure, but there is some other shit in there. I would rather have pure WPC or pure WPI, and *nothing* else (unless flavoured, in which case just enough flavour and sweetening to do the trick).

yeah it's ok but you are paying for the name. it a proprietry blend so you don't know the exact ratios of the different proteins..
Just buy bulk WPC or WPI if you are lactose intolerant.

Awesome :)

ON Gold was terrible on my stomach.

Go for a pure WPI or WPC (or alternative form of protein if you really want to save money or be a little bit more organic :p)

For organic powders, look into plant derived protein instead of animal.

look into pea or hemp protein powder