• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

AFL - Jobe Watson AOD-9604 banned substance admission

tiger

Banned
Most of you would have heard about doping in AFL lately, especially Essendon. Jobe Watson recently admitted to taking the Schedule 0 (unspecified, therefore banned) substance AOD-9604 which is being developed as an anti-obesity drug. Itcan supposedly mimic certain effects of HGH and encourage fat loss.

Anyone know much more about this drug?

What are you guys' opinions?
Do you consider this to be a performance enhancing drug?
Should Watson be banned?
Should he have his Brownlow medal stripped from him?

There is so many conflicting accusations and reports. I say give the dude a break. In saying that, it was pretty silly to take a drug without knowing what it was and if it was even legal. What do you guys think?

Most of you would have heard about doping in AFL lately, especially Essendon. Jobe Watson recently admitted to taking the Schedule 0 (unspecified, therefore banned) substance AOD-9604 which is being developed as an anti-obesity drug. Itcan supposedly mimic certain effects of HGH and encourage fat loss.

Anyone know much more about this drug?

What are you guys' opinions?
Do you consider this to be a performance enhancing drug?
Should Watson be banned?
Should he have his Brownlow medal stripped from him?

There is so many conflicting accusations and reports. I say give the dude a break. In saying that, it was pretty silly to take a drug without knowing what it was and if it was even legal. What do you guys think?

I wouldn't consider it a "performance" enhancing drug, directly anyway. Jobe is having a better season this year than he did last. Take his Brownlow, he has this one anyway - without AOD.

I think it's best to exercise innocence until proven guilty. Those to blame are the powers above who instigated it. If you're given information that what you're doing is OK from superiors and those you trust, well? Should Jobe have read 5 peer reviewed papers on every regime the sport scientist team put in place? That's not his job. I can see the argument contrary to this, but if I am an elite athlete and my coaches/doctors and team are organising my routines, supplements and regimens, I'd tend to put my utmost trust in them. What would I do, go to 3 different doctors for their opinion?

In any case, I don't know the full story and neither does anyone here. So passing judgement is stupid. Listening to the media with their innuendo and sensationalism just makes you look like a plebeian sheep.

I will await to hear information from where it matters. I agree with you though, we should give Jobe a damn break. He's a man of character and integrity, and obviously wants to get to the bottom of this. He's not hiding anything, and put himself out in the open.

I found it woefully ironic that he was being jeered against West Coast. Mainwaring, Kerr and golden crack addict Cousins, anyone? All of which were known to be doing illegal drugs willfully.

Ridiculous.

Of course, you don't ban people on speculation but if what he admitted to taking was a banned substance its time for a break jobe.

I don't think he did actually said that did he?

Either way I don't really give a shit lol.

All I'm really saying is everyone is speculating on what should happen to EFC.

It will be fascinating to see what unfolds.

I wouldn't consider it a "performance" enhancing drug, directly anyway. Jobe is having a better season this year than he did last. Take his Brownlow, he has this one anyway - without AOD.

I think it's best to exercise innocence until proven guilty. Those to blame are the powers above who instigated it. If you're given information that what you're doing is OK from superiors and those you trust, well? Should Jobe have read 5 peer reviewed papers on every regime the sport scientist team put in place? That's not his job. I can see the argument contrary to this, but if I am an elite athlete and my coaches/doctors and team are organising my routines, supplements and regimens, I'd tend to put my utmost trust in them. What would I do, go to 3 different doctors for their opinion?

In any case, I don't know the full story and neither does anyone here. So passing judgement is stupid. Listening to the media with their innuendo and sensationalism just makes you look like a plebeian sheep.

I will await to hear information from where it matters. I agree with you though, we should give Jobe a damn break. He's a man of character and integrity, and obviously wants to get to the bottom of this. He's not hiding anything, and put himself out in the open.

I found it woefully ironic that he was being jeered against West Coast. Mainwaring, Kerr and golden crack addict Cousins, anyone? All of which were known to be doing illegal drugs willfully.

Ridiculous.

That was irony, booing Watson by west coast supporters lol.

From what i can see if players have been found to of taken banned substance they need to be banned and the club minimum to be fined for bringing the game into disrepute, but as it is an ongoing investigation we need to wait till the findings are released and see what happens from there.

Ok....here I go....

Why else would you use your body as a pin cushion other than to gain an advantage over peolpe who only take food and drink?

I am no angel, I am no professional sportsman and I certainly am not denying that if my livelihood depended upon it that I would not take every advantage there was.

What I am saying is the whole way the sport is going is getting away from the basic traditions of the game.

Once upon a time you could put someone to sleep if they were niggling. Now that is a crime against humanity however it is ok to put untested or unknown substances into the body to see if they improve your game???

Where exactly did we go wrong???

Is it all about the money....the gambling...the professional approach to sport to gain revenue through advertising and merchandising?

Anyway...just saying.....

And that goes for rugby aswell.

Last edited:
I don’t think he would have admitted that he was given it if he thinks he is going to end up getting severely sanctioned. I think there are a number of stories we haven’t heard including Essendon possibly being told the drug was fine to take from leading bodies aka asada.

Also the players may possibly escape bans if they were lied to before consenting to having it administered. Ignorance is not an excuse but I think this case is more complicated than that. Why else would it be taking so long and why else would the AFL continue to allow a player to take the field after admitting he believes he took a banned substance. I thought it was interesting the way Jobe said it, he said he signed a consent form believing he was signing for AOD and that he believed it was the AOD that he was being given in the vile. He never really said that he knew that it was AOD9604, rather that that is what he was told it was.

Also you can’t just ban one player who has come out and said what he believes happened and then let all the other players involved continue to play, that would be ridiculous imo. I am happy to see the investigation wrap up as soon as possible and then take appropriate action against the people who deserve it. Especially when we are talking about a non performance enhancing substance. You can take a pinger on a Monday, fail a test and still be fine to play, so why threaten the careers of these guys over a substance that has no real evidence it does anything even before it is proven they have done wrong?

He has probably come clean because if you come forward the penalties are usually much less severe.

Being lied to by the club or an individual isn't an accepted accuse. They are professional athletes they are responsible for what they take. If they could just say they were lied to every athlete that ever gets caught would use that excuse.

The only way Watson will not be suspended for cheating, which he and perhaps other Essendon players probably have given that an unapproved drug is a also a banned drug, is if the AFL ignores WADA's recommendations and the AFL players go on strike.

The AFL will have little choice but to strip Essendon of points too.

I cant believe the galahs that gets jobs with the AFL, and those in clubs willing to test the rules in this day and age.

I cant believe that Watson, as a club leader and smart bloke, did not do more preliminary work and ask the right questions, even it is was anonymously with ASADA. Never trust anyone, especially some dipstick sticking needles into your body.

A sport without regard for drug testing today is still in the prehistoric age.

If the AFL ignores WADA the are retarded and opens the gates for more abuse of the rules.

Wasn't a VFL player banned for 2 years for taking jacked. This is a more serious offense than that.

Last edited:
I agree; there is no excuse when clearly all sports people, for many years, have been bombarded with message that there is no excuse for taking a banned PED.

A lot of football supporters put doubt in my mind on the basis that is football and Watson is a great bloke and so on, but it is paramount that the rule of law always prevails for the sake of a fair society. Sounds corny, but no one should be above the rules: fair rules for all sports people regardless of prestige, including past AFL players that were banned.

I suggest this, even as an Essendon supporter.

Last edited:
This whole mess is fucked. Professional athletes allowing anyone to inject them without doing some research themselves is just stupid. Personally I can't see how injecting a few peptides is going to make fuck all difference, but I'm not being paid $600k by the Essendon Football Club. If I were I would have told Dank and Robinson to take a hike.

Its the complete arogance or Third and the Essendon football club that has pissed me off during this whole thing, completely denying any wrong doing along the way, I hope the whole club is raped good and proper for this.....