• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Force USA cross fit style half rack

robxxx

Has anyone had any experience with this rack?

Force USA Cross Training Half Rack w/ Attachments | Gym Equipment

I was originally considering a full power rack but due to space/usable area restrictions of my garage I have turned my attention to half racks.

It looks to be fairly similar in design/utility to the Iron Edge Assault rack. I have Force USA equipment already and I know that the fit/finish leaves much to be desired, I am sure the Iron edge is a better made piece of equipment.
Assault Rack Deluxe - Iron Edge

The Iron Edge looks amazing but it is double the price. Also, it still has a decent size footprint at 175cm deep, as does the Force USA (187cm deep) - both are actually much deeper than conventional power rack/cages. The Force also has bumper plate toaster racks that you can add on, but they cost extra.

Have you seen this one: HD2 Half Rack with Chinup Bar and Spotter Bars | HD2 | Cyberfit Gym Equipment

It has a 120x120cm base and plate storage, which when loaded up would make it very sturdy. It has a lot of extra steel so I wouldn't be surprised if it was stronger than the other ones.

None of these have dip attachments, whereas a conventional cage often does.

after having bent my old rack into oblivion and replacing it with something of a lot higher quality I know longer have any gripe with recommending people buy the better, more expensive, option.

as the saying goes; buy quality buy once

I have already drawn up plans for a plate storage add on using some left overs from a previous project. If I get my quote request back from gym and fitness and everything looks ok I am pretty sure this is the rack that i am going to buy.

It pretty much has most of the stuff that I want, and very little of the stuff I don't at a fairly affordable price.
Dip bars I plan on improvising with barbells across the safetys. Hopefully one day they company might produce a compatible dip attachment.

After looking at the design, and watching the video on the website I am wondering if maybe the chin up bar can be lowered enough to turn this thing into a makeshift strongman yoke. Possibilities are all running though my head haha.

I have the Rogue S3 with the dirty south pull up bar and plate storage for stability, rate it highly for what I use it for

I understand, and don't disagree with you.
however, in this case the design happens to meet my needs fairly well.

I would love to have a big, open space, with even floor, tall ceilings and without fluorescent lights getting in the way. And when I do I will be setting up my dream gym. I am hoping that this will get the job done until that day.

Another contender has emerged. I emailed Aussiestrength.com.au to try to get a quote on their commercial half rack and it turns out they do a crossfit styled one too, at a pretty affordable price.

SPX Rack – Aussie Strength | Aussie Strength Equipment

That SPX rack looks exactly the same as the UFS rack.

UFS Top Grade Rack

If it is, then it is very decent build quality. I went and had a play with it in the shop and it's a tank.

Although, I did end up pre-purchasing the Rogue S2 squat stand due to the footprint and vertical plate storage.

http://www.rogueaustralia.com/products/ROGUE-S2-SQUAT-STAND-.html

Which was due late June, then late July, now early August....

I'm tempted to cancel the order and get an Iron Edge rack.

Last edited:
the people at Rogue Aus are a bunch of stoners
pretty sure they're all just kipfitters that have failed at running a successful kipfit gym so sell Rogue gear on the side

there is a difference between being passion about equipment, and selling that passion eg Dave Tate and falling into something because you weren't any good at what you were passionate about lol

As you all know I purchased this rack from Aussie Strength

SPX Rack – Aussie Strength | Aussie Strength Equipment

These guys are only the second gym provider in Australia who have managed to
a) reply to my emails promptly
b) answer each question asked
c) get back a quote with the correct items and amounts
Good pre sales service like this goes a long way! Within fifteen minutes we had exchanged three of four emails and credit card details. The other one that is great is little bloke fitness

Anyway my rack has finally arrived. I placed my order right on close of business 12/07 but it took until today to reach me. No big deal, I am nursing a minor knee injury at the moment.

Looking at the packages on the door step it looked kind of small, once I went to pick them up I realised there was a fair bit of metal inside. The instructions were a single diagram, but with so few parts it was simple to put together. There are two different length bolts, and then a heaps of identical nuts and washers, very easy to work out what goes where.

It's very tall. I knew it was going to be very close to not fitting in my garage without cutting a few mm off the top but luckily it all squeezed in without any need for modification. the uprights touch the ceiling, but the chin up bar is reversible so I am still able to do pull ups which is great.

A lot of the parts don't have that perfect fit like you get with commercial grade hammer strength stuff, but for the price I wasn't really expecting them to. once everything is bolted together I can swing off the bar without any movement from the rack. it actually feels a lot stronger than it looks in the videos online. The welds go all the way around unlike some other racks I have seen which only have welds on the visible sides.

The J hooks and safety arms slide in nice and easy without too much noise.
The safety arms are probably the loosest feeling part on the rack, I might put some strapping tape or similar inside to make them feel a bit more secure and wobble less.

The utility pegs that shipped are silver rather than black. Doesn't bother me too much, but for some people that might be a slight issue. I bought a second set, but I don't really know what I will do with them. I was going to use them for dips but I don't really know anymore. I thought they just clipped in and out, but they are attached with a bolt and that means keeping a wrench on hand each time I want to attach them.

I haven't had a chance to test it under load but so far I am really happy with the purchase and I just wish I had done it sooner. It fits my space perfectly, I can deadlift, squat, OHP in the space that I have.