• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

An Advanced System For Beginners

The Hamburgler

Spotter Loader
With the spate of "conjugate training is useless" articles/blogs appearing I thought I would play devil's advocate in the form of Michael Hedlesky who recently came 8th in the 120kg class at the IPF worlds last month (reading his blog he has a torn quad and also coming off a lower back injury).

I am unsure of his best lifts outside of national/international meets, but according to this chart Hedlesky Michael - powerlifting and bench press performances, records, bio, photo, video

In this article he outlines a (fairly) brief summary of how he utilises a conjugate training system for his lifting
An Advanced System For Beginners: Westside Barbell Method | LIFT.net
For mine the most important line/message is "Have you ever wondered why there are a trillion different strength programs out there? It is because at some point, somewhere, for someone, that exact program caused massive gains for the participants". It is also the same view held by Mark Bell, Brandon Lilly and a few others in relation to training methods etc

His (new) training log can be found here:
All Aboard The Hamburger Train - Training Logs - LIFT

What I found most interesting is that he had spent some time at Westside, and says Louie's real life views conflict somewhat with what you hear in interviews and read in articles (guess he has to sell the westside method to sell his products lol)

I like his training a lot and have followed his log for some time

I wouldn't really say that the current trend is towards conjugate bashing but towards training for equipped numbers when you're raw. Hedlesky doesn't do this, his DE percentages are fairly high, he doesn't box squat, there are no max effort good mornings or stupid bars. His training isn't really "westside" at all

Last edited: