• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

CrossFit craze batters Aussie devotees

The most efficient way to perform a snatch if you are trying to lift the most weight possible is different to the most efficient way to perform a snatch if you are doing them for time.

Fortunately for people trying to increase their strength (rather than their metcon), the most efficient way to lift the most weight usually (but not always) correlates with the safest way to perform the exercise. If you have truly excellent technique, you will lift more weight than you could if you have any technical errors.

Unfortunately for CrossFit, which puts at the centrepiece of its methodology performing complex full body movements (like Olympic lifts) for AMRAP within a specific period of time, is that the most efficient way to do an exercie AMRAP is often the least safest way to perform the exercise. This is not real efficiency - it's cheating.

You will find that performing a kipping pullup correctly actually puts you in a position extremely vulnerable to labral tears which you wouldn't otherwise put yourself in if you were doing a normal dead hang pullup. There is actually no safe way to perform this exercise. Plenty in the CF community itself have commented on this - just look at their forums. Many have complained about the lack of CF HQ maintaining injury statistics and the fact that no one has investigated whether the exercise is worthwhile staying in their WODs in light of the risk vs benefit.

It's definitely not the same as injuries resulting from poor deadlift or squat form.

The most efficient way to perform a snatch if you are trying to lift the most weight possible is different to the most efficient way to perform a snatch if you are doing them for time.

The load and fatigue will always dictate the most efficient way to perform the snatch, be it a muscle snatch, power snatch or squat snatch. Shitty technique is not a substitute for efficiency.

Fortunately for people trying to increase their strength (rather than their metcon), the most efficient way to lift the most weight usually (but not always) correlates with the safest way to perform the exercise. If you have truly excellent technique, you will lift more weight than you could if you have any technical errors.

Couldn't agree more

Unfortunately for CrossFit, which puts at the centrepiece of its methodology performing complex full body movements (like Olympic lifts) for AMRAP within a specific period of time, is that the most efficient way to do an exercie AMRAP is often the least safest way to perform the exercise. This is not real efficiency - it's cheating.

Not really. Crossfit prescribes Mechanics/Consistancy/Intensity, in that order. If you don't have the mechanics and consistency then intensity (load) should not be added.
The most efficient way to complete an AMRAP would be to be technically consistent, not to perform the movement in the least safest way possible, and even if it is unsafe, how is it cheating? Cheating would be not completing the rep to movement standard, cheating has noting to do with safety.

You will find that performing a kipping pullup correctly actually puts you in a position extremely vulnerable to labral tears which you wouldn't otherwise put yourself in if you were doing a normal dead hang pullup. There is actually no safe way to perform this exercise. Plenty in the CF community itself have commented on this - just look at their forums. Many have complained about the lack of CF HQ maintaining injury statistics and the fact that no one has investigated whether the exercise is worthwhile staying in their WODs in light of the risk vs benefit.

You need to put your shoulder in a strong position from the start, regardless of a kip or strict. I have no doubt plenty of people have been hurt from this movement, or performing a snatch, clean and jerk, running, box jumping, skipping, pressing, deadlifting, squating etc etc. And yes, with every movement you need to weight up risk vs benefit. And yes, I agree, Crossfit should have injury stats, then we could compare the injuries to every other sport out there where you can also get injured. You also need to look at the people coaching Crossfit. Anyone can rock up, do a two day course and then start coaching...geee, I wonder why people are getting injured...

It's definitely not the same as injuries resulting from poor deadlift or squat form.

Sure it is. Do it with good form and technique and you will be fine.

But we can go back and forwards all day, you think Crossfit is the devil that ruins shoulders, I think it's just another training system that most people do poorly. Everyone will have an opinion depending on their exposure to the subject.

He hasn't really said anything about KipFit itself - just that kipping pull ups in themselves are a poor exercise choice as they are a high risk with a poor cost to benefit ratio.

As I said, everyone will have an opinion depending on their exposure to the subject. Learn how to do it correctly and you won't have an issue...reduce the risk. Simple. Just as you would do with other movements you don't know how to do.

Last edited:
Kipping is a smooth safe pull-up, the butterfly pull-up is another story, puts slot of stress on your shoulders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you done it? I've got a fucked shoulder and I have no issues Kipping, it's the butterfly one that puts strain on your shoulders

I've no reason to even attempt a ridiculous pull up such as that.
You can be my guest though.

Enter the usual "it's just another skill to practice after people have mastered strict pullups" argument

Then go to gym and see that most of the people kipping do it because they can't do strict pullups

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Impact has no place in exercise

To violently pull or push against an object increases risk of injury, hell, just hitting water hard enough can crack a skull open.

As they say, if you're going to be stupid, you got to be tough.

Last edited:
We do weighted strict pull-ups weekly, got 3 people in my session who can do 30 strict pull-ups, the better your strict pull-up the better your kip will be, if your not into crossfit there is no need to do them as I would not do them if I didn't do it, in all sports which are race formats, the quickest most effective movement is going to be used

We do weighted strict pull-ups weekly, got 3 people in my session who can do 30 strict pull-ups, the better your strict pull-up the better your kip will be, if your not into crossfit there is no need to do them as I would not do them if I didn't do it, in all sports which are race formats, the quickest most effective movement is going to be used

Good reply.